Just switched to M43 from Nikon...

Edit My Images
No
I've just moved from Nikon FF to Olympus M43 through a desire to reduce the weight of my bag and enjoy affordable access to some unique focal length and aperture combinations. I have three lenses, a 60mm macro (which I used for the flower image below, nothing special, just finding my way with the kit), a 40-150 f/2.8 with the 1.4x teleconverter and the 14-40 f/2.8.
Cant believe how small it is, photo shows camera with 60mm macro attached. Loving the weight of my bag now, 4.34kg! :)

zubl4cF.jpg

9vLZKQC.jpg

Last edited:
A pleasing picture, or it would be if its proportions were 1:1 or 2:3 - it just doesn't seem quite resolved. Very sweet bokeh, though.

I would wish you well with the equipment, and hope that you don't have any Olympus quality control issues.

I have little urge as yet to wimp out with lighter gear.

I've just moved from Nikon FF to Olympus M43 through a desire to reduce the weight of my bag and enjoy affordable access to some unique focal length and aperture combinations. I have three lenses, a 60mm macro (which I used for the flower image below, nothing special, just finding my way with the kit), a 40-150 f/2.8 with the 1.4x teleconverter and the 14-40 f/2.8.
Cant believe how small it is, photo shows camera with 60mm macro attached. Loving the weight of my bag now, 4.34kg! :)

zubl4cF.jpg

9vLZKQC.jpg
The Olympus system is great, I'm sure you'll enjoy it (y) I'm sure there'll be aspects of FF and DSLRs that you'll miss but m4/3 is the perfect compromise between weight and IQ imo.

Last edited:
A pleasing picture, or it would be if its proportions were 1:1 or 2:3 - it just doesn't seem quite resolved. Very sweet bokeh, though.

I would wish you well with the equipment, and hope that you don't have any Olympus quality control issues.

What QC issues are those?

I hadn't got as far as aspect ratios in the menu at this stage, menu system is quite different to Nikon. Enjoying the learning process though.

Not sure I'm aware of the QC issues you mention...

The Olympus system is great, I'm sure you'll enjoy it :smashin: I'm sure there'll be aspects of FF and DSLRs that you'll miss but m4/3 is the perfect compromise between weight and IQ imo.
I'll be more inclined to have the bag with me I think. I'm hoping that the real world differences will prove to be negligible and that the benefits will compensate.
So far I'm happy with what I've seen and read of this system.

I'll be more inclined to have the bag with me I think. I'm hoping that the real world differences will prove to be negligible and that the benefits will compensate.
So far I'm happy with what I've seen and read of this system.
Real world differences will depend on subject, light etc etc. Sometimes I struggle to see much difference between my Olly images and my D750 ones, sometimes it's more noticeable. Overall I'm a big fan of the olly though.

I have the same camera and just love it for it's size and weight. I still have my FF Canon, but it gets used far less than it used to. The Oly is not great for moving subjects, but I carry it with me so much more, and I've found it's great for live music pics with the f/1.8 lenses.

I hadn't heard about any QC issues, nor come across any problems with my gear, two years in... and now quite a few lenses in!
Enjoy!

I guess the 4.34kg is a typo ? I have the same pro lenses + e-m1 and 9-18 and that weighs 2.2kg so unless you're carrying a brick to "transition"... :D

I do love the IQ from m43, I recall not expecting much from the system when I got in to it 3 years ago but being wowed when I took my first few shots. Unfortunately, as my kids are growing and getting into fast paced sports m43 doesn't suit as well for me anymore

I guess the 4.34kg is a typo ? I have the same pro lenses + e-m1 and 9-18 and that weighs 2.2kg so unless you're carrying a brick to "transition"... :D

I do love the IQ from m43, I recall not expecting much from the system when I got in to it 3 years ago but being wowed when I took my first few shots. Unfortunately, as my kids are growing and getting into fast paced sports m43 doesn't suit as well for me anymore
No, correct weight. The two pro lenses, 60mm, no bricks, filters & odd bits & bobs. Does include the bag though.

Fast paced action is what I photograph least of all, not by choice necessarily, but that's the way my photography has panned out - see what I did there?
What, in your opinion, have been it's limitations in this respect?

Fast paced action is what I photograph least of all, not by choice necessarily, but that's the way my photography has panned out - see what I did there?
The ability to track moving subjects isn't great, one of the downsides of all but a handful of mirrorless cameras.

The only real difference between FF (Most but not all) & m4/3 is if you are shooting at the extremes ie Hi or Low ISO or very fast moving subjects I suspect that in 99% of all images taken you will see no difference.

But might enjoy the weight saving

As for Oly QC issues, you are not going to tell us Canon & Nikon have had none are you :cool: how many recalls has the D750 had :mad:

If you come across any fast paced action stick with AF single and pump the shutter,i found it did a better job than letting it try any AFC modes.

The ability to track moving subjects isn't great, one of the downsides of all but a handful of mirrorless cameras.

This - its ok and i've had a lot of success with the e-m1 but when i tried the d500, its just a lot easier to get the same number of keepers. I don't have to spray and pray. Of course, i could buy the e-m1 mk2 but it would cost me significantly more to do this than to change systems..I just hope i don't regret it

I love my EM5-II I only have the 17mm (35mm) lens now and that is my lot.
bought a cheap half leather case and I am just so happy.

Its just a mega posh point and shoot.
I love it.

This - its ok and i've had a lot of success with the e-m1 but when i tried the d500, its just a lot easier to get the same number of keepers. I don't have to spray and pray. Of course, i could buy the e-m1 mk2 but it would cost me significantly more to do this than to change systems..I just hope i don't regret it
You made the jump then? I always enjoyed your images on the Oly thread

I am tempted to try out a m43. I down sided to Fuji but wondering if I could downside further.

I’ve said it many a time, I bought an Oly EM10 as a travel camera and never used my Nikon FF again.

I am tempted to try out a m43. I down sided to Fuji but wondering if I could downside further.

I am constantly surprised by the size of the Fuji bodies, they seem unnecessarily chunky to me. Main difference will be the lenses though and if you use primes then m43 will save you a lot of size and weight. If you end up with the pro zoom lenses then you are still beyond ‘always on you’ size, but they are looooovely lenses.

The sensor is bigger in the Fuji bodies of course, and they are all metal, beautifully constructed. I don't think they could get them much smaller than the XT20! There are quite a few M43 bodies I would call much 'chunkier'. Some of them seem huge considering the sensor size. The Panasonic GH3 or G85 look massive toward my XT-1

I have pondered on M43 too in the past, when dropping Nikon FX I considered all options. Heck, I even looked to see what smaller decent bodies Canon had .... I moved on quickly ... :p But, did ponder over Panasonic and Oly, the Fuji just attracted me more as I was used to APSC from my old Sony A200, Nikon D200 and D90. I don't know that I could deal with a more restrictive format [sensor-wise, size & shape] permanently. I would like to have a GX or so as a side on though.

Last edited:
I'm hankering after a GX8 after seeing the shots taken by SRHphoto / SRHmoto who is on this forum.

Some of the seascape shots (which is right up my street) are exceptional and if I didn't know better I'd say they were FX DSLR shots.

And as I have a Panny G3 IR camera with 14-45 mega OIS lens I'd only need to get a body.

The GX8 looks sweet, I wish Fuji would do fully articulating screens like that

I like the elevating viewfinder, I can see that being really useful to a left master eye shooter like me.

That used to hack me off with the XT2. My nose would bump the joystick and move my focus points, I disabled it in the end.

Whatever about camera gear preferences, I will never understand you left eye shooters :LOL:

It must be a right pain with a lot of models?

I'm hankering after a GX8 after seeing the shots taken by SRHphoto / SRHmoto who is on this forum.

Some of the seascape shots (which is right up my street) are exceptional and if I didn't know better I'd say they were FX DSLR shots.

And as I have a Panny G3 IR camera with 14-45 mega OIS lens I'd only need to get a body.

That’s very kind of you to say. The GX8 is the most enjoyable to use camera I’ve ever owned. Hopefully there’ll be a GX9 along in the not too distant :)

Simon.

I’ve said it many a time, I bought an Oly EM10 as a travel camera and never used my Nikon FF again.

I am constantly surprised by the size of the Fuji bodies, they seem unnecessarily chunky to me. Main difference will be the lenses though and if you use primes then m43 will save you a lot of size and weight. If you end up with the pro zoom lenses then you are still beyond ‘always on you’ size, but they are looooovely lenses.

I suppose it's a difficult balancing act. If they make the cameras small internet forums will be full of comments like "toy" and "fiddly" and there'll be idiotic sexist comments about them being for women not men, making them larger will prompt people to say that you might as well get a DSLR.

I don't think there's anything in it body size wise if looking at any of the mini SLR compact system cameras. None of the MFT, Fuji or Sony bodies will fit in a trouser pocket but all would fit in a largish winter coat pocket or small bag with just a compact prime fitted.

I like the elevating viewfinder, I can see that being really useful to a left master eye shooter like me.

That used to hack me off with the XT2. My nose would bump the joystick and move my focus points, I disabled it in the end.

I have one on my GX7 but sadly Panny dropped it for the GX80. Personally I wouldn't consider a GX8 because of the SS issue as it's so unpredictable and affects how I want to take pictures. I expect any future GX9 with the new shutter mechanism to be very nice.

The elevating viewfinder is superb Terry. It has helped me absolutely no end when shooting landscapes in tight locations.

Simon.

Really????? I'm an olympus fan but the similar bodies are nor smaller or lighter.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#594,482,520,703,ha,t

I don't get the whole body size issues people have either way. I've heard people say they won't use such and such camera because it's too small and they won't look as 'professional' - then I hear others moan about camera bodies being too big, even the likes of Nikon's DX offerings. This is why they push out various 'ranges' I think, trying to suit all. Fuji has it's slightly larger XT-1/2 aimed at the more serious photographer or pro, but they still carry through the Xpro series for the more 'old skool' photographer, and they have downsized versions of each with the XT10/20 and the XE line. Then they also have their consumer entry level models like the A and M series, I get lost there, I have no clue what's different about them. Panasonic are similar, they have the GH and GX range, then just a G range?? I have no idea, I've only really been peeking at them recently ... but they also have their bridge cameras and compacts, and even the compacts range in quality. None of them will ever please everyone no matter how intricate their camera range is.

All I know, is that when I started taking photos as a kid, using very simple compact film cameras, whatever the 'family camera' was at the time, I didn't give a hoot what size it was. I carry that through to today, end results are what always matter most to me. In saying that, since I'm an adult now [apparently] my hands have grown, so I do at least like a camera to feel secure in hand when out and about. It's one of the reasons I haven't traded my XT-1 for an XT20, the grip on that thing is practically non existent.

When I hear people harp on about bigger = better, I just think "try hard" ... because a true pro will care more about results than how they look while shooting.

Here's a random M43 question: Do all lenses benefit from IS when attached to a body that has it inbuilt?

Whatever about camera gear preferences, I will never understand you left eye shooters :LOL:

I'm left eye dominant and so always been a leftie so never had an issue :p TBH both my cameras now have central VF so doesn't make a difference, but even with rangefinder style in days gone by I never had an issue. It was only when I took up photography properly that I realised folk use their right eye ;)

I'm left eye dominant and so always been a leftie so never had an issue :p TBH both my cameras now have central VF so doesn't make a difference, but even with rangefinder style in days gone by I never had an issue. It was only when I took up photography properly that I realised folk use their right eye ;)

The left side of a camera is always shorter though because you grip on the right, I can see 'around' the left side of a camera with my left eye with my right up to the VF. I'm just so used to using both eyes, I'll use the right in the VF and occasionally open the left just to check surroundings/framing and I can still keep focus in the VF with the right. I just feel like it'd be a pain, but if you're used to it and it works, all good :)

@Cagey75 - yes, all lenses benefit when the camera body has IBIS.

Thanks :) I am attracted to a few M43 cameras and lenses, I like that they have much better options for macro in particular

It is with a big conk like me!

That's funny, I was only watching a review today where the guy complained that his nose kept changing the AF on the touch screen :D

Last edited:

Yes it is...

I can do left or right but there's medical reasons for that! :LOL:

The viewfinder on the Olympus is well positioned, very easy to see 100% and no face/nose prints on screens etc.

Back