Karma's 52. Updated with all!

Oh dear...what a mess...:LOL:

If I had the same results back in my day, I would have been crying a lot of the time...:D

and well done for taking on the 52s with film...:clap::clap::clap:

First you don't need to hide in the wardrobe anymore... get a developing bag not much money and you can use it in daylight, and if you get a roll of film caught in your camera you can put it in and save the film. It works by putting your arms in two sleeves so you can use it at a table.

I always used fairy liquid in the final wash, it removes all the drying water marks, when you run your fingers through the film before hanging up...

but to me by far was the print development, thats the moment of seeing your shot come out of the wash...truly a magical moment...damn makes me want to get out my old darkroom stuff sat up in the loft...still got the Gnome enlarger...remember them?...:LOL:

I get the pain... I've helped my dad do some home processing from time to time... the feeding the film in the pitch black always struck me as real painful... interesting results there Conor... as for dropping them... OW!!!...

Definitely says Pain to me ;)

I've only ever been a Digital Girl so I had no idea how complicated Film was :clap::clap::clap:

Merry Christmas

Gonna be a filler week for me. I've been sick since Simon pulled this "health" theme :LOL:. So I'm not going to get out to get a better shot. My last week will probably be late. I'll try tune in on Sunday to get the theme, then have a bash at it back home in Ireland.

Anyway, this has been my medicine to try get me back to full health:

MRL_4110_800.jpg

Thanks everyone for your comments on last week. As you can see I'll be finishing this on digital. Between being sick and having to travel home I'll make it a little easier on myeslf!

Last edited:
good shot and spot on theme....I could do with one of those now

Nollaig Shona

Jon

Well done Conor, on theme and good shot. Works well. I'm hoping that all says Merry Christmas or some such ,,, ;)

Good lighting and arrangement, and fits the theme well. Not your best, perhaps, but high standard for a filler shot (y) (y)

Aw - I hope you are feeling better :hug:

I actually really like your "filler" shot - ok it's not your most inventive idea but the light on it is lovely and the DOF is subtle but effective (y)

Ok, in an effort to draw a line under my 52 (*cough* 23 *cough*) I'm going to cheat :LOL:. This was taken the day before the theme was pulled, but for the good of getting my next 52 off the ground I'm going to cut myself a bit of slack... ok, a LOT of slack :naughty:. Because it's only been a partial year I'm more determined to get cracking on a full 52 this year and just get the last year finished off!

This particular photo could fit numerous themes, (grunge is probably one!) and texture may be a slightly weaker one of those themes, but it shall have to do to finish off this little project. There's lots of stories I could tell behind the little cottage that this photograph was taken in. It's originally my grandfathers house in which my mother grew up in. Anyway, here's one of the photos.

4238358139_aef4ebb224.jpg

The main thing I learnt while photographing this was using off camera flash a bit better than what I usually do (still learning though!). The room was really small (shot with a fisheye), and standard flash was either overpowering part of the wall, or causing harsh shadows. So eventually what I came up with was a diffused flash bounced off the back wall to act somewhat as a fill flash for the room.

Anyway, don't worry about commenting on this one. I'm probably going to post a few for C&C so will try get feedback there. And sorry if I don't get around to commenting on all your 2009 52s. After coming back I see there's a great number of new 52s so I'm going to post a general comment here to say congrats to all of last years finishers! I will take a look at all your shots, but I may not comment on all! I have 2010s shot to take and 2010 52s to look over and comment on! So I'll have to get cracking on that.

And Happy new year to you all! (y)

You made it :) and brought us the crowbar too

Pain : well done on trying something different, very different - look forward to seeing ths work progress :)

Health: Simple, good set up and spot on theme :)

Texture: yeah plenty to see there - is that the first fisheye 52? Anyway I like it :)

Well done on stayng the course Conor and finishing the 52s :)

Argh! Forgot my 3 missing themes! Just collected them today from Jessops. Here they are:

Confusion
It's a double exposure. If you look closely you should see I tried to get my hand to grab myself. Might have worked better in colour! Anyhow here it is:

4240753842_ef27829cbb.jpg

Music
Here's a friend of mine I play guitar with quite a bit. He's a super guitar player. Seems to be able to put a solo or backing lead guitar to anything I write.

4240754636_6a10c1d7a1.jpg

Organised
When walking along Putney pier I spotted these seagulls nicely organised on all the wooden stalks for me.

4239983711_6699fff10e.jpg

My backup was this:

4240753142_8f6c6147d0.jpg

Anyway, that's me definitely done with the line drawn under this! Onto my 2010!

Last edited:
Now to catch up with your comments :)

Well done Conor, on theme and good shot. Works well. I'm hoping that all says Merry Christmas or some such ,,, ;)

Thanks! The bit "As Gaeilge" or "In Irish" equates to Happy Christmas :).

Good fill in shot...works ok for the theme...:clap:

Hope you get better soon...(y)

Thanks Marcus. Feeling much better now!

Good lighting and arrangement, and fits the theme well. Not your best, perhaps, but high standard for a filler shot (y)

Thanks! I'm happy enough with it as a filler, but won't be framing it any time soon!

For a filler shot that's a good one (y)
No crowbar in sight, good lighting and nice and sharp. Not your most interesting or exciting shot, but good nonetheless.

Hope you're feeling better now and having a great time back home in Ireland.

Well done on making it to the end.
Lots of textures in that shot and I'm sure that there's a great story behind that place.

Looking forward to seeing your 2010 thread.

Thanks Sarah! Feeling much better now. Left with a sniffle and cough but we'll get over it. There sure is a lot of stories to tell about that place. Some that even include me as a young child!

Aw - I hope you are feeling better :hug:

I actually really like your "filler" shot - ok it's not your most inventive idea but the light on it is lovely and the DOF is subtle but effective (y)

Thanks very much Fi! I had tried a black background for the shot but I though it didn't really suit, so went for a bit of a textured surface instead. For a filler it's not bad I suppose :LOL:

You made it :) and brought us the crowbar too

Pain : well done on trying something different, very different - look forward to seeing ths work progress :)

Health: Simple, good set up and spot on theme :)

Texture: yeah plenty to see there - is that the first fisheye 52? Anyway I like it :)

Well done on stayng the course Conor and finishing the 52s :)

Thanks John! That might just be the first fisheye shot in a 52. Now there's another idea I never thought of. A 52 of fisheye shots... maybe I'm nuts!

Anyway, I only realised today I hadn't quite finished the set. Was missing 3 themes. Thankfully got theme in today... which must mean I'm already late on my 2010 52 :eek:

Well done on finishing the 52 with a good take on the theme. Thanks for your advice over the last while and the best of luck with a full 52 ;) in 2010

Slán go fóill

Jon

Well done on finishing your 23 Conor and I look forward to following your 52 this year.

Noway I can comment on all of this year's starters so I'm going to have to look for familiar names and take it from there.

Best wishes for your photography in 2010 (y)

Well done Conor, you made it to the end. Lots to look at in that last shot. As for the extras you snuck in :D... All good, the only thing on organised, and it may be cos it's mono, but I really struggled to see the seaguls on the pier.

Back