Karma's 52. Updated with all!

Excellent shot, works well on all levels for me, fits the theme, love the B&B treatment, great focusing...:clap::clap::clap:

Nice one. I like the way you have composed it with the other guys in the frame as well.
Only criticism would be that the guys face looks a bit soft to my eyes..but I wonder if that is because of the other guys in the front.
Nice work anyway...a very different kind of shot that works for me.

Thanks for all the comments! I've already done "Self" so will be uploading it shortly :LOL:

Well, I won't lie to you all, I'm not camera shy. I had great fun mucking about with a photo of myself. But there's something I never understood. Camera shyness. People will freely walk around in public and show their faces, but once it's on a photo or they can potentially see it themselves they get a little freaked out by it. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate that people feel this way, I just don't understand what evokes that emotion.

Anyway, my photo this week is actually 3 photos. 2 of me and a texture I photographed on the London TP walk. Here it is:

One thing I realised is now I really want to learn more about doing flash photography. I really enjoyed it!

Last edited:
Fantastic (but a bit scary too!).
Nice idea and shows you are thinking outside the box.
Must have been a bit of work to get those results.

:clap: very good Conor (y) on theme, love the mono and colour texture mix you've got.

Fantastic (but a bit scary too!).
Nice idea and shows you are thinking outside the box.
Must have been a bit of work to get those results.

:clap: very good Conor (y) on theme, love the mono and colour texture mix you've got.

Thanks! Quite enjoyed taking it to be honest! When I've confused (or frightened) enough people I might let you know what I did :LOL:. It's quite easy actually with the right photos :)

Doom and Gloom Boom and Groom: well it raised a smile for the nerve of it :) Not the best you've done but kudos for bending the rules!

Communication : I love it! Perfect illustration of the theme and a great candid in its own right :)

Self : Bugger me thats good :) Almost Gilbert and George! I really like that - nicely done!

Doom and Gloom Boom and Groom: well it raised a smile for the nerve of it :) Not the best you've done but kudos for bending the rules!

Communication : I love it! Perfect illustration of the theme and a great candid in its own right :)

Self : Bugger me thats good :) Almost Gilbert and George! I really like that - nicely done!

Thanks John! I know boom and groom is very much the worst thing I've produced, ever! But it served it's purpose, got me over a theme, and brought a few smiles and giggles out in the process.

Thanks for the nice comments on the other 2 :)

Wow - not scary, but extremely clever. (y)

I look forward to hearing how you did it - but to set the ball rolling, did you 'flip' your eye? :cautious: The catchlight postion is mirrored. :D

Jean

Thanks Jean! I didn't actually flip my eye. The right hand side is a different photograph :LOL: Just the "lighting" is coming from the opposite side ;)

Communication is great, fab stuff!

Self - very good too, love the PP on this! (y)

Thanks Leanne!

2 great shots imo and no shoehorn required ;)

Thanks Ruth!

Ok, I'll divulge now how I took the shot. It consists of 3 photos:

#1 - Off hand flash in my right hand and B&W conversion:

DSC_0469_BW_500.jpg

#2 - Shot in the dark, slightly OOF for effect, torch in my left hand.

DSC_0481_500.jpg

#3 - Pavement in London taken during the TP walk. I like gathering textures for the exact purpose of this style of photo.

DSC_0268_500.jpg

Steps:
1. I halved the first photo
2. Popped in the second photo on another layer
3. I put the third photo on a layer over the other 2. Set it to "overlay" blending
4. Rotated, resized, adjusted opacity, pretty much messed about the pavement until it felt right
5. Quartered the photo again just for effect.

Voila. Hope you find this useful somewhere in you photography paths :)

Oh yeah, now you also have a proper self portrait of me!

Last edited:
Very clever technique that Conor.. thanks for sharing.

Very, very clever...:clap::clap::clap:

Great use of your PP skills...

Well worth the effort you put in...(y)

Noticed the quality of the jpg I uploaded was awful. Viewing it on a proper monitor now. I must be getting pickier the older I get :LOL:

Updated it for a better quality image.

Very clever idea and the PP is also very good - the right hand side does look too dark on my monitor - but I'd say thats got more to do with the monitor than anything else. I'm liking everyones self portraits this week but you get top marks for making it that little bit different (y)

Ok, I actually have organised done, but I managed to capture it on film instead of digital :LOL:

So you might have to wait until next week to see it! Depends when I get my film developed....

Watch this space :)

:eek: To my mind film = difficult! I'm looking forward to seeing how this one works out.

Me too... I'm intrigued.

Or Conor is just bluffing that his shot is organised already hmmm? :p

:eek: To my mind film = difficult! I'm looking forward to seeing how this one works out.

Film is fascinating. Because "chimping" is not an option :LOL:. You take a photo, and then it's like "... ok, I hope that worked!"

Me too... I'm intrigued.

Or Conor is just bluffing that his shot is organised already hmmm? :p

:LOL:

:cautious::cautious::cautious:

:cool: I'm looking forward to seeing it. It's easy to forget that film doesn't equal instant photos. :) And it makes me realise that this challenge would have been impossible before digital. :D

Jean

I was thinking of finishing it off on film actually. So you might get 2 in 1 from me next week!

Looking forward to it Conor... Very brave... I can't afford the development costs of all the shots I've done ;)

Wow KG, that's one distinctive self portrait. :clap::clap::clap:

Way beyond my level of skill :(

And come on, where's Organised? Or Confusion?

And what's this idea of doing the rest in film? Are you :wacky: it's bloody hard enough as it is :D

:LOL: I don't have confusion done, so unfortunately alls on hold until I do that. I have an idea for it though, but it's gonna be quite hard to do... I will try finish off the film before saturday, get all developed, and get it all uploaded this weekend. Regardless of whether or not confusion works, I'm going to upload it... *prepares crowbar...*

Ok, film sent in for processing. Hopefully will have uploaded 3 themes by next week. But I'm going to finish it on digital. But I have a crazy plan... for next year I'm going to try do the 52s completely on Film. We'll see how I get on :LOL:

Jessops get the award for slowest film processors ever. Still waiting on it. I have pain done, and deveoped myself in the mean time... Am I disciplined enough to wait on Jessops? Nah!

Here's my pain. Today was my first time developing my own film. As I mentioned in my "Home Dark Room" thread my process was slightly off the norm... went something like this:

1. Fill sink with water.
2. Monitor temperatures to get as close to 20 degrees as possible.
3. Prepare chemicals
4. Realise I forgot to buy storage containers [insert swear words here]
5. Hide in the wardrobe with film and dev tank
6. Fiddle around trying to find start of film
7. Feed start of film into spindal
8. Hit end of paper... and think... CRAP! I've been feeding the paper, not the film [insert swear words here]
9. Open spindal, take "paper" out and search for film not paper...
10. Realise that I WAS actually loading the film and not paper
11. Fiddle with spindal to put it together again
12. Feed film AGAIN
13. Close dev tank.
14. Develop the film etc...

I hang up the film to dry and boy am I proud! Seeing my photos develop before my own eyes. Everything was going well... I started examining some of the photos... and didn't I drop the bugger on the floor :bang:! Anyway, thankfully most of the photos came out fine. But, one which I was hoping to be one of the better ones, ended up looking like this :LOL:

All the same, it went much better than expected. One of my favourites from the set is this:

I'll come back to the 3 missing ones when Jessops get off their asses and develop my other one for me

Last edited:
Well, it fits the theme! :D I'm not quite sure what you have done. We did our own processing for years but never 'achieved' anything quite like that... :p.

Keep practising though, and I'm sure you'll improve. I have no regrets about finally going digital but there is definitely something magical about the old wet darkroom.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I love your darkroom procedures - they sound suspiciously like the ones I used to use. :D But you're right - there's nothing quite like the thrill of taking the film from the dev tank and having a first look at what you've got ...

... and the pain of it when something goes wrong, or they're not what you'd hoped for!

So bang on theme, full marks - I hope the rest of the film came out well. #2 looks pretty good to me. (y)

Jean

Wow !
It must be great to be able to watch your pictures slowly appearing like that. Your process sounds complicated, but fun - I don't think I could wait for Jessops either :bang:

Shame about the first one, and I definitely feel your pain - so bang on theme. No.2's looking good though, and I can't wait to see the others.

Well, it fits the theme! :D I'm not quite sure what you have done. We did our own processing for years but never 'achieved' anything quite like that... :p.

Keep practising though, and I'm sure you'll improve. I have no regrets about finally going digital but there is definitely something magical about the old wet darkroom.

Thanks! It's quite an magical and exciting process alright! Really get a massive sense of achievement when you see your work hanging to dry. I achieved the above effect using a very new cutting edge technique I like to call the "dropping on a carpet" technique :LOL:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I love your darkroom procedures - they sound suspiciously like the ones I used to use. :D But you're right - there's nothing quite like the thrill of taking the film from the dev tank and having a first look at what you've got ...

... and the pain of it when something goes wrong, or they're not what you'd hoped for!

So bang on theme, full marks - I hope the rest of the film came out well. #2 looks pretty good to me. (y)

Jean

Thanks! I really enjoyed the process! Even the bit where I thought I was feeding paper, and then realise I had done it correctly in the first place! I was peeing myself laughing in the wardrobe thinking "WHAT A DISASTER!!!" :LOL:

Wow !
It must be great to be able to watch your pictures slowly appearing like that. Your process sounds complicated, but fun - I don't think I could wait for Jessops either :bang:

Shame about the first one, and I definitely feel your pain - so bang on theme. No.2's looking good though, and I can't wait to see the others.

Well, because I use a developing tank (it's light proof so that I can develop in the light) I unfortunately don't get to see them develop like that, but when you take them from the tank and watch the water drop from the film and start to recognise photos, I have to say, that's really cool!

Here's a couple more from the same film. Outside of these they're a bit of a mess. A couple are OOF, a couple way too overexposed, and the rest lost to my bedroom carpet :D

Well I was going to apologise for neglecting your thread for so long... but by lucky chance I am actually up to date. Looks like Jessops have done me a favour :D

I have never attempted to process my own film but I still feel your pain! The others are looking good though and I bet it is great seeing them come to life in front of your eyes.

Thanks! It's quite an magical and exciting process alright! Really get a massive sense of achievement when you see your work hanging to dry. I achieved the above effect using a very new cutting edge technique I like to call the "dropping on a carpet" technique :LOL:

I remember reading about another technique for drying films quickly - dunk them in meths, hang them up and then apply a match! :eek: Allegedly it really did work - sometimes :D

Back