Kdot's Photo 52 - Self Added

Name
Keri
Edit My Images
Yes
<excuses>First time on the challenge, and didn't have time to do a full set up<\excuses>

Subject: Season
3859588513_09682a5d03.jpg

Taken with houshold lamps.
Canon 400d w/ 18-55 kit lens at 47mm.
f32 for 4 seconds.

Last edited:
That is a great start to the challenge..well done.
I really like the angle and this shot really lends itself to b&w I reckon.
The glass tops kind of confuse my eyes..will be interesting to see what others think on that one.
I like the frame you have gone with in this picture too..gives a bit of a 3d feel to the photo.

Great to see you joining in, good first image, nice and early too!

I might have cropped in a bit, there are some very strong wavy lines running through your pic that could be exaggerated, as Kiwi Jaz touched on, the top would be the bit I would loose.

The rock salt and the pepper next to that wave are very eye catching.

Good solid first shot, I bet there are a few who were planning something similar.

Well done, looking forward to your next shot.

Welcome to the challenge. I hope you have as much fun with this as I've been having (with the exception of this week, I found this theme a nightmare :) )

:clap: Very, very good first shot to kick the challenge off with.
The subject really works as a mono conversion and there's a lovely contrast between the gritty salt & peppercorns and the smooth stainless steel.

I can see what the others mean about the glass tops - it's kind of hard to see where one ends on the other begins. I think you'd possibly lose too much of a nice composition and good angles if you cropped those away though :shrug:

If you were to re-shoot I'd maybe try leaving a bit of a gap between the two :thinking:

The other thing that I would change is the order of the grinders. I feel that the white salt is getting a touch lost against the background so I'd bring that one to the front as the main focal point. The pepper is strong enough to stand against the white background even if it was slightly outside of dof.
But that's just being extremely picky :D ;)

Last edited:
Thanks all. Having trouble with this week's subject matter...:thinking:

Welcome to the 52's and a great start. I really like that, I don't think you'd get away with cropping the top section with the mechanism in though.

I really like that, I don't think you'd get away with cropping the top section with the mechanism in though.

Okay, okay...I get the message! :p

Is this better, or would you suggest cropping further still...?

3883584015_2df9128b86.jpg

Grunge. Grunge...:thinking:

Last edited:
Okay, so 1 week in, and a gap. Well, that's mainly because I dropped (and killed) my nifty-two-fifty, and am therefore left with the (old, non-IS) kit lens as the only operational lens in the bag. Not good...I'm trying to move on. ;)

Anyway...think of this as a marker for the Grunge shot, and I'll try and get back to it.

EDIT : Back already with my Grunge shot...

3926059372_317bd240cd.jpg

Grungy, Sunday morning slob out. Lovely!

Last edited:
Here's a shot for RESPECT:

3925084957_dc360b0c38.jpg

I'm a pro-royalist, and believe in the coin of the realm, and I am also very proud of my British-ness (being brought up in England, with parents of Welsh and Irish extract). All these things are deserving of my respect in my opinion.

I haven't got the vignetting quite right, but I'm notsure the shot deserves too much time spent on it!!! :)

I'm learning a lot about exposure and lighting of late - which would have been handy as I was saving for an 430EX/580EX for the death of the nifty-2-50.

Last edited:
Both the grunge and respect shots are great. Not entirely sure I like the strong vignetting on respect but each to his own. Nice interpretation of the theme by the way and the composition/way you have set up the coins really works for me.
Dont forget to check your 20p to see if it has a date on it! :cool:

Grunge: I love this. I could see it on a greeting card with a funny caption. The processing really appeals to me, and even though he doesn't look particularly slobby, he does look very, very chilled. :cool:

Respect: I'd never have thought of setting out coins like this - full marks for creativity. The sentiment the shot represents definitely deserves Respect, imho, and you can be forgiven for the slightly dodgy vignetting. :clap:

Sorry to hear about your lens - ouch!

Jean

To be lazy, I agree with the rest! Grunge, isn't really grungy. But it's an excellent photo all the same. Vignetting is something I must start doing to some of my photos. There's been a couple that would have benefitted from it.

Grunge . . . absolutely love that photo !!!!:love:

I agree that it doesn't quite say grunge . . . but I don't care :razz: I really, really like it.
Composition, lighting and PP work really well but it's the model that makes the shot! What a great expression you've caught on his face.

Respect . . . Hmmmmm yes vignetting isn't quite working for me, but taht's already been mentioned.
Great idea and interpretation of the theme. I know all those coins fit together to make an image, but I've never actually laid them out like that.
You've done well to get that level of detail in the coins too (y)

Thanks for the comments all.

Re 'grunge', I must admit that I tried to fit the theme to the photo, rather than photo to the theme, if you see what I mean. That was the weekend I bust my nifty-2-fifity, so was not in the best frame of mind for creative photographic thinking!

Re 'respect', this was one I did set up for the theme! The idea behind the vignetting was to (attempt to) focus attention on the 'flag' within the coins, rather than the coins themselves. Looking at it now, I'm not sure why I used a border and the vinigarette. :geek: The first shot I posted didn't have any, and looked a bit lacking IMO.

3925843082_e2aa23b93c.jpg

Really enjoying learning about lighting at the moment - here I used a lamp, natural light, and on-board flash (with negative compensation). I enjoyed the process of getting this shot. (y)

Last edited:
A well taken pair of shots. I'm not sure there's much grungy about grunge, but it's still lovely. The Respect shot works well and is very creative. Nicely done. I don't think it needs the vignette though.

As for the nifty 250... I was damn lucky and mine survived it's dropage... however it might be worth a look at your contents insurance policy ... That was my plan if it had died

Well, I'm trying to and needing to be creative now, what with only having the kit lens to work with (have I mentioned that enough times yet???)...

So, for FRIENDSHIP I thought I would pay homage to the backbone that all modern day friendships are based on...

...the text message!

3931587371_1b9b17e6c6.jpg

Kit lens, with a £4 +4 close-up lens from 7dayshop.com. Rather hit and miss with the focussing (especially as I wear glasses), but every now and then you catch it right....

Last edited:
Nice detail and texture - well done on the focussing - and good take on the theme of friendship. (y)

I'm of the dinasaur generation and texting is a slow, painful chore which I try to avoid at all costs, but I know to most people texting is part and parcel of their social scene and the easiest way to keep in touch with friends.

Perhaps I should get a mobile which works where I live. :thinking: :)

Jean

Hi catch up time for me...

Grunge...not really grunge, but what it is...is a lovely shot with some fantastic lighting...:clap:

Respect the second one for me...(y)

Thats such a clever thought out shot, and I for one will admit not realising that the coins made up that patten with the three lions...brilliant...:clap::clap::clap:

Friendship we have had this sort of shot on here before, nicely done with the DOF, but I like the way you picked out the green in the boarder from the green phone in the shot...it's a nice touch to detail...great... I'm liking all your shots so far...keep it up, you have a real talent...(y)

Really good take on the theme (y)
Not something that I would ever have thought of as a shot, but it does make me think. I tend to keep in touch with most of my friends by Email / text now . . . when was the last time I actually picked up the phone and spoke to them?

Lovely DoF and good job on focusing.
Since you were limited by your lens (see I am paying attention) you did brilliantly to come up with an interpretation.

I woudn't have thought of your take. well done for going away from the norm. Well done again

Jon

Nicely done Kdot, and an unusual take on the theme.

It's not easy getting the focus right at these close distances, although I have, but not an hour ago, tested out another way of doing it... focus priority (read about it on here)... Set the lens to AF, get inside min focus distance, or with the converter way outside so the lens can't locks focus. Let the lens hunt in and out, then when it fails to lock focus and stops, press the shutter button all the way down. The shutterwon't fire. Move the camera until the subject comes into focus, as soon as focus locks, the shutter fires...

I really really :bonk: shouldn't look at :bonk: other peoples submissions :bonk: before I enter mine! I had a very similar idea to this. I may well go ahead and do it seeing as I'm already late this week. But I'm kicking myself!

Anyway, onto the photo, excellent. Love the DOF, love the composition, love it, well done! (y)

And also... :razz:

And also... :razz:

What the...who the...whyIoughta...:LOL:

Thanks evreyone for the very kind comments. If someone can give me a helping hand regarding this week's theme, that would be appreciated. :shake:

What kind of subject is that for mid-September anyway...I ask ya?!? :bang:

Only just found this thread, apologies for not picking it up sooner. I think you've made a really solid start to the 52.

Friendship is a great idea, wish I'd thought of it!

My first visit to your 52 and what a great start you've made. It's hard taking pictures to a theme but you seem to be taking it in your stride (y)

Season, another unusual take on the S&P theme and I love the angle you've got going there. As was said earlier, it might have been better to have the salt the more dominant mill though, but that's just a minor niggle :clap::clap:

Grunge, doesn't say grunge to me but it's a great portrait so it matters not at all.:clap:

Respect, I prefer the second shot, and the bankers could certainly do with more respect for money :D

Friendship, focus is spot on and it's a clever take on the theme (y)

Thanks Bruja. I have my shot for Fresh Start, but have yet to post. Will do so in the next day or so, but refusing to look at others' posts in the mean time. :p

Here's PASSION. I have a passion for chocolate...and cookery. So here's a picture of my cooking...with chocolate! It's a chocolate pecan tart. Not sure which is the best shot, so I've posted 3!!!

3976977714_617818d691.jpg
3976978492_71b978f974.jpg

3976978130_2b023e648b.jpg

3 Nice photos there! I would choose the third as my favorite. The DOF in 1 is just a tad distracting for me, and the front of photo 2 seems to have gone a little over exposed. 3, for me, has the perfect balance of DOF, chocolate/pastry/etc, and composition/exposure. Let's see what the others say first thought. I'm often overruled :LOL:

All in all, (y) from me

No over-ruling from me ;). I completely agree with KG on this one for the exact same reasons. (dof on No.1 and overexposure on No.2)

They're all good shots though and I think maybe if you cropped a little off the bottom of No.2 that might just edge it into the lead for me.

Very impressed with your cookery as well as your photography. That looks absolutely delicious!

Thanks for the comments. I'd already cropped the over exposure anyway, so I'm not sure that it would take any further reduction.

And...it was delumptious, as my somewhat distended belly will attest! :D

Back