Beginner Keeping costs down - wedding photography

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
Just looking for a bit of advice here.

For a couple of years I have been mainly into sports photography (american football) and got by using an 8GB SD card (I still consider myself a new to photography with not formal qualifications). Essentially, I have been doing this for a bit of sun and to help out my local sports team for just under 2 years.

My uncle is getting married in a few months, and to keep costs down, he has asked me if I could do the photography on the day. I have been reading all sorts online to prepare myself for this as it is quite different.

I have been looking at getting some new SD cards for the day and was wondering if anybody could advise me on sizes? Is 8GB enough, or should I opt for something bigger to cover myself on the day. I am reluctant to order from Amazon as I have had issues with them in the past and I was wondering if anyone has ordered from https://www.memorycow.co.uk/ before? Are they good?

Any further tips on this would be great as I would hate to let my uncle down.

Thank you in advance!

Had no issues with Amazon, always use Sandisk and buy from Amazon not a 3rd party. They are so cheap these days, IIRC my 64gb 150 mbs cards were £15 each.

Much depends on what you shoot on - if its RAW on a 50mp type camera like the D850 then 64gb would be the minimum, maybe 128gb. If jpg on a 20mp type then 16gb may well be enough with a spare for if that gets full.

Just looking for a bit of advice here.

For a couple of years I have been mainly into sports photography (american football) and got by using an 8GB SD card (I still consider myself a new to photography with not formal qualifications). Essentially, I have been doing this for a bit of sun and to help out my local sports team for just under 2 years.

My uncle is getting married in a few months, and to keep costs down, he has asked me if I could do the photography on the day. I have been reading all sorts online to prepare myself for this as it is quite different.

I have been looking at getting some new SD cards for the day and was wondering if anybody could advise me on sizes? Is 8GB enough, or should I opt for something bigger to cover myself on the day. I am reluctant to order from Amazon as I have had issues with them in the past and I was wondering if anyone has ordered from https://www.memorycow.co.uk/ before? Are they good?

Any further tips on this would be great as I would hate to let my uncle down.

Thank you in advance!

Hi it would help us if you could tell us what camera your using ??

I'm doing my first wedding in November and I have a 26mp Fuji X-T3. For the wedding itself I am shooting RAW and have 4 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro cards (the camera has 2 slots for redundancy to protect against card failure so this is essentially two sets giving me 128gb in total).

Like most have said, it depends if you are shooting RAW or JPEG - if JPEG you could maybe get away with 16gb...for RAW you'll need 64gb and I'd take a back-up card as well.

Back