Critique required Kell's 2023 TP52 - WEEK 52. Shots(s) of the year.

That's brilliant!. Well spotted and well picked for the theme!

Hahaha - love it!

Week 04 - TRANSPARENT

Few to choose from this week as I had a little wander round NoHo after a day in town.

Mostly taken through shop and restaurant windows. Which, of course, are TRANSPARENT

TP2023 - WK04. Transparent-3180 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

TP2023 - WK04. Transparent-3197 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

TP2023 - WK04. Transparent-3201 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

TP2023 - WK04. Transparent-3208 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

But the one I actually liked most was a bit of an accident. I was trying to set up another shot when this bus came through frame. You can see all the traffic through the other side of it, so although it was unintentional, I liked it.

TP2023 - WK04. Transparent-3183 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice images and the chosen one is great.

I can see a trend in the comments.
Very nice set and I agree with your choice, and original interpretation of the theme.

I love the bus one, how did you manage to bottom windows see through when the top windows are blurred? Very clever, how ever you did it.

Chosen shot is good although I think I prefer the monochrome one, it has a certain mystery about it.

I love the bus one, how did you manage to bottom windows see through when the top windows are blurred? Very clever, how ever you did it.

I 'think' what you're seeing in the top windows is the bus interior/ceiling. So it's moving at the same speed as the bus.

Whereas on the on the bottom windows, you're seeing straight through to the queuing traffic on the other side - which was stationary.

Chosen shot is good although I think I prefer the monochrome one, it has a certain mystery about it.
Thanks Martin.

I have to say that was my second favourite. The fact that the windows of the phone box was so dirty added to the semi-transparent feel of it.

What a great set Kell!. I particularly like your chosen one and the b&w shot. For your chosen image I'd almost be tempted to crop off the bottom bit of the road and the back end of the rest of the street to make it even more abstract,

What a great set Kell!. I particularly like your chosen one and the b&w shot. For your chosen image I'd almost be tempted to crop off the bottom bit of the road and the back end of the rest of the street to make it even more abstract,

Thanks Bill,

I did do a version a little like that, but I went back to the original crop as I ended up preferring it with a little more context.

And it's actually the front of the bus on the right hand side. I think that must be to do with the whole first curtain/second curtain thing. I was actually shooting this handheld so just balancing the camera on top of a traffic bollard.

Superb set but yeah - the Bus does it!

Loving the bus. You say unintentional, but the focus is spot on the distant trucks, which I don't imagine the camera would have done, just serendipitous that the bus "photo-bombed" your intended scene??

And that the rear part of the scene, through the transparent windows is the only area sharp, is really appealing

Loving the bus. You say unintentional, but the focus is spot on the distant trucks, which I don't imagine the camera would have done, just serendipitous that the bus "photo-bombed" your intended scene??

And that the rear part of the scene, through the transparent windows is the only area sharp, is really appealing

Thanks.

By ‘unintentional’ i guess I mean that I didn’t go out to try and shoot through the bus.

I’d set up the camera with the focus on the stationary traffic to try and catch something moving through frame (not for this theme) and maybe get some nice light trails. I could see trhe bus coming, but didn't think ahead of time that I'd be able to see clean through it.

None of those other shots were interesting (IMO) and I just lucked out that the bus came through frame AND that there was no one sat there blocking the view.

Last edited:
Week 05 - Snapper's Choice + Tech: Juxtaposition

Quite liked the styling of this building, but it was almost impossible to take a pic of it without also including some natural elements - giving a nice contrast between the natural and the man-made.

TP522023 week 05 Snapper's Choice
by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Nice shot Kell. Unusual building and nice angle for the image.

A bit less road maybe but I like the tree creeping towards the building

Lots of nice horizontal layers there. Like the contrast of the curved balconies there with the rectangular ones of the adjacent building.

Good spot.

Nicely composed with the inclusion of the road and a nice range of mono tones. Box ticked for tech too..

Absolutely right to go with the colour version I feel.

Brave compostion with the empty foreground all out of focus but it works. Nice to have the OOF lights in the top to make me want to try to make out the scene!

I don;t know what the knobs in the floor are for either!

Lovely use of dof Kell. Colour is definitely the one to go with.
And I didn't know what they were either so I went to thepavement.org Coz that's a place! Who new that either? They say they are apparently boundary markers.

Colour works for me. They look like a trip hazard to me, get elf and safety out, well my Mrs would trip on it.

I think they are used to identify the presence of something under the ground but not sure what, although other sources inform me they may be surveyor's marks.

I'm pretty sure they mark the line between public highway and private property. Quite often the line where an old building was.

Nice for the theme.

Lovely picture, I quite like the colour version and the use of DOF. It is quite a random knob on the floor though!

Unusual for me but I definitely prefer the colour version. The mono background is a bit of a distraction for me but not in colour. To get that angle you must have been in danger of being run over??

Unusual for me but I definitely prefer the colour version. The mono background is a bit of a distraction for me but not in colour. To get that angle you must have been in danger of being run over??

Thanks Helen - these are on the pavements, not the roads. So not too much danger of being run over. Although it is Camden, so no guarantees.

Really like this Kell. I think that the colour works best.

Back