Kidnapped! (Warning - may upset some).

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Whilst watching three pairs of Shelduck on the lake, with their large brood of chicks, the peace was broken by the arrival of a single Herring Gull.
For a while he was chased off by the Black-headed Gulls and Avocets but after a few runs over the lake he managed to take a small(ish) Shelduck chick ... as he made off with the chick he was pursued by one of the adult Shelducks and an Avocet.
Sadly and predictably the chick did not survive.

Kidnapped6.jpg

Kidnapped7.jpg

Kidnapped8.jpg

Kidnapped9.jpg

Kidnapped11.jpg

No, definitely no 'like'....! I love shelduck chicks (I think everyone knows that by now) and it's hard not to feel moved by the expression on the chick's face in the last shot, but that's life in the animal world. The gull has to eat too. That's why so many birds have big broods. If they all survived we'd be knee deep in shelducks :)

Yes, a real "red in tooth & claw" type of situation. I have even seen such action where the larger gull species is predating the small gull species chicks.

FWIW you have captured the sequence very well especially so seeing the Shelduck and the Avocet taking up the 'fight' to drive the Gull off!

Thanks guys ... okay I'll do the 'likes' :)

The grim reality on how not all chicks make it. We always love to see how cute and fluffy they are and maybe wonder why one day there are a few less than there werr before. Excellent story telling. You feel the desperation and pain of the parent and admire the support of tbe other species in chasing the gull. I wonder if there are ever any happy endings to these stories?

Great sequence.

Great shots of an unfortunate but natural event.

Good catch

Talk about capturing the moment... Perfect set mate.

Thanks guys, I do see these events quite often but have never before had the opportunity to record the event.

The grim reality on how not all chicks make it. We always love to see how cute and fluffy they are and maybe wonder why one day there are a few less than there werr before. Excellent story telling. You feel the desperation and pain of the parent and admire the support of tbe other species in chasing the gull. I wonder if there are ever any happy endings to these stories?

Thanks Gil, I would hesitate to call the actions of the Avocet 'support' as I think that they are just acting to protect their own young from attack, (in this case Avocets, Black-headed Gulls and the Shelducks). I have never seen a captured chick released though I am sure it does happen, in truth though I wonder if the injury/shock received by being in the beak would be survivable in the long term. :)

Wonderful series,the last one just puts some human emotion inti teh helplessness of the chick!
TFS

Cracking sequence, nature can be cruel at times
At my local reserve I visit one day and there are loads of duckling, couple of days later and very few have survived.

Wonderful series,the last one just puts some human emotion inti teh helplessness of the chick!
TFS

Poor wee thing - well captured though! We have a couple of families below the house - one set of parents always does a better job of protecting the young, whilst the other (younger pair) always lose several youngsters. I saw the older pair kill an Arctic Skua a few years ago.

Cracking sequence, nature can be cruel at times
At my local reserve I visit one day and there are loads of duckling, couple of days later and very few have survived.

Thanks guys & gal ... my experience is that Shelducks and Avocets are amongst the bravest of protectors but I agree with John's observation that some are better than others.

Thanks guys & gal ... my experience is that Shelducks and Avocets are amongst the bravest of protectors but I agree with John's observation that some are better than others.

The common terns at the reserve take some beating when it comes to protecting young :)

The common terns at the reserve take some beating when it comes to protecting young :)
Terns a la Farnes is my only experience with their young and yes they (or rather the visitors) do take some beating! :D

Great set telling the story

Back