Kindle paperwhite users - any disadvantages?

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
We have a couple of ebook readers kicking around: the older Kobos are painfully slow to use, and the more recent Nook is no longer supported by B&N or Sainsbury (they've just sent their customers to Kobo).

My wife liked her Nook, particularly the ease of browsing & buying books direct from the device, and is now fed up with the lack of ongoing support. I've been wondering about buying here a paperwhite for Christmas, and wondered if any users here had found any disadvantages with theirs?

Have had a paperwhite for 2 years, can't think of any disadvantages.

My moneyboss has had one for a couple of years. Purely a `reader`, no internet.

I just asked her & she said no negatives, she absolutely loves it.

Fill that stocking, just asked my missus and she couldn't think of any cons.

I use a classic keyboard Kindle, (still love it) but as soon as anything goes wrong with it, I'll be on to whatever simple Kindle reader is available at the time.

I use a Kindle Fire HD for reading and for all internet type stuff and films when I'm on hols.
The battery life is not brilliant- it must be charged overnight (if it lasts to then). If only used for reading it lasts two days.

My wife's Kindle Paperwhite lasts for about a week and a half between charges...

Thanks gents.

On battery life, my Kobo is probably good for 50 or 60 hours of reading, while the Nook lasts around half that. Shame the PW has such a short battery life, but it still sounds like it'll be the one to get.

Thanks gents.

On battery life, my Kobo is probably good for 50 or 60 hours of reading, while the Nook lasts around half that. Shame the PW has such a short battery life, but it still sounds like it'll be the one to get.

Short battery life?

Are you reading another thread, old timer?

My wife's PW lasts about 60+ hours of reading and is about 3 years old.
Newer ones should exceed this.

Short battery life?

They are short compared to a kindle without a backlight, but i love mine, brilliant for taking on holidays.

We have 3 kindles - 1 old one - works perfectly - battery lasts forever, & 2 paperwhites. The paperwhites are just excellent & highly recommend them.

Shame the PW has such a short battery life, but it still sounds like it'll be the one to get.

Battery life is good. My moneyboss took it our hols & didn't need to charge it during the 2 weeks. (obviously depends on the individual)

Short battery life?

General review conclusion is that they have a relatively short battery life *compared to other book readers*. The Nook gets recharged about 4-6 times a year, the Kobo probably 3 times. Presumably because of the light the PW needs charging much more frequently, though obviously not on a daily basis like some tablets.

General review conclusion is that they have a relatively short battery life *compared to other book readers*. The Nook gets recharged about 4-6 times a year, the Kobo probably 3 times. Presumably because of the light the PW needs charging much more frequently, though obviously not on a daily basis like some tablets.

Weird.

You say my Kobo is probably good for 50 or 60 hours of reading, while the Nook lasts around half that and then The Nook gets recharged about 4-6 times a year, the Kobo probably 3 times.

I suppose it depends how much you read, but when we were on holiday all we did was sit around our pool and read.

I had mine for more than 3 years and it's the best reader that I've had in my hands.

I bought the paperwhite a couple of weeks back, & we'll see how she gets on with it at Christmas.

Are they still locked in to Amazon for books or can you put your own on there using something like Calibre? (without a lot of jiggery pokery)

We've had Kobos for years and they still seem pretty behind the times in terms of speed. Always been curious how Amazon'd the Kindles are these days.

We've got the Kobo Glo & the Kobo Aura HD, both give an excellent reading experience. Currently we get ebooks from Kobo/Google books / Amazon & the local library (free).

The only problem is I'm very tempted with the new Kobo Aura One so they may be heading for ebay :)

Are they still locked in to Amazon for books or can you put your own on there using something like Calibre? (without a lot of jiggery pokery)

We've had Kobos for years and they still seem pretty behind the times in terms of speed. Always been curious how Amazon'd the Kindles are these days.

You can use Calibre to load your own books as well as purchasing direct from Amazon. I bought my wife a paperwhite for her birthday at the weekend to replace her original Kindle and it's a fantastic reader.

AFAIK calibre can side-load to a Kindle (my nephew has one and sideloads his device). The Kindle is available with and without adverts (£10 more for the version without ads, which I paid, rightly or wrongly). I'm hoping to take some of the books off her present Kindle and Nook devices and upload them (copyright? Busted!).

We have 2 Kobos and 2 Nooks here. My Kobo is better than it used to be (current software version is appallingly slow, but still usable) while her Nook is about to become side-load only, and the battery is gradually failing. I'm hoping the better performance (still not exactly nippy) backlight and higher resolution of the PW wil make it a much nicer device to use.

The reason I changed to a Kindle Fire HD was so that I could read documents with colour information eg PDF manuals, photo books, the shorter battery life was a good enough sacrifice to be able to see colour documents, also you can use it as a quite good tablet.

The reason I changed to a Kindle Fire HD was so that I could read documents with colour information eg PDF manuals, photo books, the shorter battery life was a good enough sacrifice to be able to see colour documents, also you can use it as a quite good tablet.

That's what I use my phone for, a 5" screen is large enough to work, although I do have a HUDL too.

I bought the paperwhite a couple of weeks back, & we'll see how she gets on with it at Christmas.
I'll bet she'll love it. I've had mine for a couple of years I think now. I love it. The battery lasts for ages and you can read it in direct sunlight.

I didn't buy a cover for ages as I liked it being slim, but I now have one that automatically turns it off when I close the cover. It works really well and makes it a little bit easier to hold when reading in bed, as well as protecting the screen.

Had my paperwhite for years as well, and wouldn't be without it, put it in airplane mode to extend the battery, i probably charge mine once every 3 weeks or so and its used daily

Brilliant using it in the sun.

Back