Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
I am thinking of buying a new used second body (probably a 60D) to replace my ageing 400D alongside my main body which is a 70D. I was wondering how everyone organises and carries their kit whilst at the track? Since graduating to the Tamron 150 to 600, my old strategy of having a double camera strap isn't really working. So now, I carry a rucksack (Lowepro 450 Trek AW) with my butties and bits and bobs in, as well as a belt containing my lens pouches and a couple of square pouches for batteries and filters. I then put my monopod into one of the empty pouches when panning as I find this more ergonomic than putting it on the floor when shooting.

Does anyone have a view on UV filters? I generally find they introduce artifacts into my images or mess up the focus - so I'll take them off when shooting but put them back on when storing/transporting my lenses. I recently opened my bag to find the UV filter on my 24 to 70 smashed - I'm so glad I had put it on there to avoid costly repairs!

Finally, for those of you with two bodies, which two lenses do you generally use at the track?

I only ever bothered with a UV filter when I was just starting out and it did some pretty horrible things to my images so I've never used one since. I only have one body and it's a right pain swapping between lenses in the middle of a race. My ideal two body setup for motorsport (without spending completely silly money) would be something like 2x Canon 7D Mk IIs, one with a Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 and one with a Canon or Sigma 24-105mm F4. I'd probably have a 1.4x TC in my bag for when I needed a bit more reach on the 300mm too. This would allow you to cover pretty much every focal length you'd ever use on track with two lenses. For paddock work I'd have the 24-105mm on one body and something like a 50mm f1.8 on the other.

My current setup is an EOS 80D which has a Sigma 120-400mm attached, and an awful old 18-125mm in my bag that I occasionally use for wider shots. For paddock stuff I tend to use a 50mm F.18 now.

Last edited:
I don't (haven't) done track, but I do do events. One thing rings true, the lighter you can make your set-up, the better.

Two bodies are always going to weigh some, especially with glass, which is why I switched from the 300mm f/2.8 to the 100-400 Mk II, plus it's so much more flexible. The second has the 24-70 and that pretty much does everything. The Think Tank R U Hot caters for a bottle of water and the Stuff It pouch contains protein bars and a small bottle of sun cream.

I don't generally bother with UV filters as, on most L lenses, the hood is so big that it provides it's own protection.

Back