Kodachrome alternative

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
Is there a film that comes close to Kodachrome? Either that or a digital preset.

You were going well for the first 9 words there, Ben. Then my brain exploded! :D

Are they not re introducing Kodachrome?

It’s Ektachrome that’s being reintroduced and there has been some beta test results published recently. Very exciting.

As for Kodachrome, IMO, nothing comes close. Yes, there’s other slide film but nothing has that look unfortunately.

Ahh, My bad :D

Yes, there’s other slide film but nothing has that look unfortunately.

Or obtain a sensible Cibachrome print - ah, those were the days.!

Here's an idea - You could try increasing the red saturation and block up the shadows a little in LR as an option. On sunny days with a seascape increase the blues a tad :p

I loved Kodachrome, but it was a devil to get right back in the days when exposure wasn't as well controlled as it is now (and needed to be for that 25 asa colour monster)

We had another thread on this topic only a month or so ago: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/which-film-is-nearest-to-kodachrome.680947/

TLDR: nothing comes close but maybe the new Ektachrome will come closest. There's also a thread for showing some of your old Kodachromes. ETA: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/post-you-kodachrome-photos.680978/

Of course, Kodachrome could be a PITA. Scanning often produced rather weird results, so much so that Silverfast has its own special scanning preset for Kodachrome.

Last edited:
I found the Kodachrome from the early 80s onwards seems to scan OK, it was the stuff from before then that I seem to struggle with. It would be interesting to know if they amended the formula?

I found the Kodachrome from the early 80s onwards seems to scan OK, it was the stuff from before then that I seem to struggle with. It would be interesting to know if they amended the formula?

Perhaps because you were not using the Paul Simon approved N-eye-con camera :exit:

yes they did, back in 1974, they changed the processing from the old K12 to a more environmentally friendly K14.

yes they did, back in 1974, they changed the processing from the old K12 to a more environmentally friendly K14.
That's interesting, I've just found a few boxes from 1972-3 that I've brought out for scanning. No longer have a working Silverfast, so we'll have to see how well Vuescan copes!

That's interesting, I've just found a few boxes from 1972-3 that I've brought out for scanning. No longer have a working Silverfast, so we'll have to see how well Vuescan copes!

I’m pretty sure vuescan has a Kodachrome setting, it’s been a while since I scanned any but I think it coped ok.

Back