Which film is nearest to Kodachrome ?

Well not for longevity as if Kodachrome is kept in cool storage it is estimated to last over 100 years before a slight colour change and IIRC it was only one colour.

Provia 100F would probably be your best choice because it has fairly normal saturation, like Kodachrome. It may get a bit closer if you warm it up slightly with an 81A or 81B filter.

I always found Kodachrome fairly warm, with fairly well saturated reds. It's not a slide film, but given the right light (a sunny day) I find that Kodak Ektar 100 print film has got a bit of a Kodachrome look about it.

Talking of slide film, does anyone know when this much announced return of Ektachrome is going to happen?

Short answer is there isn't one.

Long answer.
Velvia or Provia will give you the slide look, but they are colder than Kodak and saturate more towards blue/green
Kodak print films are warmer and will saturate yellow/red as Kodachrome did, but without the slide look.

Personally I'd shoot Kodak Colorplus. It's fairly contrasty, saturates yellow/reds and is based off an older Kodak emulsion so will give you a 'vintage' look more than something like Ektar.

I shoot 99% of my film photography with Colourplus 200 and must admit I really like it, it's cheap and does remind me of the photos my dad was taking in the 70's and 80's + for my eye has lovely colours.

I shoot 99% of my film photography with Colourplus 200 and must admit I really like it, it's cheap and does remind me of the photos my dad was taking in the 70's and 80's + for my eye has lovely colours.

Well I've tried many films and Konica,Vista, C200, colorplus, Ferrania plus etc (cheap films) and are all very good on the right subjects at the right time...I've taken shots using using cheaper films (e.g. there is an old thread "show your Vista shots" where IMO an expensive film couldn't beat. Photoshop also helps to get the best out of these films h'mm well I suppose for expensive films as well.... but if you want less grain and want larger pictures IMO that's when more expensive films come into their own.

Nothing looks like Kodachrome

Sometimes when I look at some of my Velvia 100F slides, I see a similarity that's difficult to put my finger on.
Not Velvia 100, that's got its own look, 100F is a bit muddier.
But I think it just renders some colours similarly, coupled with the same DR and the fact they are both slide....I dunno.
It falls off Kodachrome quite obviously with skin tones and stronger blues

Snip:
Nothing looks like Kodachrome

No, nothing has totally ink black shadows like Kodachrome. It was a great film and one I really miss these days, but let's not forget that using it wasn't all hugs and puppies! Oh, and it can be a bit of a b*gger to scan at times too.

Last edited:
Oh, and it can be a bit of a b*gger to scan at times too.

Like pretty much always?

Actually when I was scanning my Kodachromes, they were the first films I scanned, so I was using Silverfast 6 SE, which was useful as it had a special Kodachrome preset. This seemed to get rid of the horrid blues I got all over the place with my first scanner...

Theoretically, the returning Ektachrome 100 should be the closest film to Kodachrome, in terms of look, when it reappears later this year - provided it looks like the old Ektachrome 100D they discontinued a few years ago - which we used to market as being the closest thing to Kodachrome, without shooting Kodachrome.

https://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/kodak-colour-reversal-slide-film-559-c.asp

Theoretically, the returning Ektachrome 100 should be the closest film to Kodachrome, in terms of look, when it reappears later this year - provided it looks like the old Ektachrome 100D they discontinued a few years ago - which we used to market as being the closest thing to Kodachrome, without shooting Kodachrome.

https://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/kodak-colour-reversal-slide-film-559-c.asp

Our New Zealand trip in 1974, I only took two rolls of Ektachrome, which got used up in the first few days, and thereafter bought Kodachrome (no idea what speed either of these was). When I look through the set, you can't see the join; the look was very similar in similar conditions.

I always found Ektachrome had a very slight blueish cast to it, which gave a colder look than Kodachrome. I used to shoot quite a bit of Ektachrome 100 in the early 80s, and Barfen E6 in bulk rolls too. Hopefully I'll get to shoot some more Ektachrome later in the year when it's re-launched, and @AgPhotographic will be one of the first to know about it when I do! (y)

On Wednesday this week we processed a 5ft length of the new Ektachrome for Kodak in a session attended by their representative. It was a control strip which has been sent back to the USA for analysis as, we are guessing, they want to see how it processes "in the field".

Exciting stuff!

Back