L-Mount Alliance Owners Thread

Hi Sam, how do you find that lens, balance and performance wise, with the S5?

The 24-105 is much bigger and heavier than the 20-60, and feels front heavy on the S5. However, I much prefer the range, as I find 60mm & f5.6 a bit limiting. Performance is very good, autofocus is similar if not the same, no issues there. I prefer the images from the 24-105, especially the out of focus regions, although I'm not sure if that is because of the larger aperture/longer focal length rather than outright optical performance, I've not done any side by side testing or used either enough to form a strong opinion on image quality yet, apart from being quite happy with both, especially coming from micro four thirds.

Hence no difference between the two :)

I have the 50mm and 85mm 1.8 Panasonic lenses but have really used the kit 20-60 lens the most and I think it's pretty good if I'm honest, so don't discount that lens straight away either :)

Sorry, I thought you were saying it in a negative way :D

The 20-60 really is decent, I'm more than happy enough with it. Granted it doesn't stand up to my old Sony 20mm 1.8 G prime I shot before the switch, but then not many lenses will, 'kit lens' or otherwise. I'm still hankering after another 20mm prime though, as I just prefer shooting primes, but the 20-60 is more than good enough until I decide what to do.

I am trying not to buy the S1 I have in my basket LOL. I would like the 24-105 but it hasn't been in stock at wex for ages....

Why? The S5 is basically the same camera in a smaller body, with better video features, slightly better IS and better battery life. Yeah the S1 has a better screen and viewfinder, but other than that. It's the same sensor etc.

I've been looking at these contemporary sigma lenses, they do a 16-28 and a 28-70. Wonder if they will do a 70-200
There was one rumoured in April for end of the year release but haven't heard anything since

There was one rumoured in April for end of the year release but haven't heard anything since

These are only weather sealed at the mount though correct?

It they brought out the 70-200 and it was reasonably priced I could see the three lenses as a very good set for the enthusiastic amateur like me. I can't justify the Lumix pro costs for the same lenses.

These are only weather sealed at the mount though correct?

It they brought out the 70-200 and it was reasonably priced I could see the three lenses as a very good set for the enthusiastic amateur like me. I can't justify the Lumix pro costs for the same lenses.
I've used the 16-28 and 28-70 and they're both cracking and definitely worthy for most pros so I'd expect the 70-200 to be too quality too. I don't need ultimate weather resistance but the two I tried were ok in a bit of rain

I was keen on that for ages but since trying the sigma 16-28, my sensible side has me leaning towards buying that instead.

I just enjoy shooting primes, plus I have the 20-60, 70-300 and the 85, so the 18 will compliment what I already have. I only shoot landscapes so don't need fast glass anyhow.

I just enjoy shooting primes, plus I have the 20-60, 70-300 and the 85, so the 18 will compliment what I already have. I only shoot landscapes so don't need fast glass anyhow.
I definitely hear that. I've been primes only for a long time but lately getting into zooms again, slowly

I definitely hear that. I've been primes only for a long time but lately getting into zooms again, slowly
When shooting Sony, I went from 16-35 GM to Tokina 20mm, to Tamron 17-28 and back to Sony 20mm 1.8 G as I just couldn't get on with UWA....I don't really utilise ultra wide enough to warrant a 16mm, hence sticking with the 20-60, but the 18mm will come into it's own I think, maybe, or maybe it's just more GAS :D

When shooting Sony, I went from 16-35 GM to Tokina 20mm, to Tamron 17-28 and back to Sony 20mm 1.8 G as I just couldn't get on with UWA....I don't really utilise ultra wide enough to warrant a 16mm, hence sticking with the 20-60, but the 18mm will come into it's own I think, maybe, or maybe it's just more GAS :D

I know what you mean about UWA, I remember starting off and everyone said oh landscapes get a UWA lens.... personally find a 24-70 much better with a 20 or 21mm prime for my wide end

Hi folks quick question of I may.

I'm going to start doing some videos for some work I do (tutoring) and plan to use my camera for the task. What lenses are good for recording technical video presentations? I have the 20-60 but could potentially get another lens and the company may pay for it :)

Would be head to waist and possibly some whiteboard writing...

Appreciate any help you can give.

Last edited:
Spotted the Sigma 35mm f2 today at a second hand shop. Was well used but looked like the glass and rings were clean so thought I'd give it a punt. Got them down to 220 but Google Pay said no. I think my bank is protecting me from spontaneous purchases

Hi folks, I hope all is well.

Just wondered what filters my fellow L Mount users are using?

I don't have any yet, but have informed that some filters are extremely useful for landscape and longer exposure photography.

Just wondered what you folks are using.

I've been using a Haida 10 stop for long exposures and Hoya Pro ND 4 stop for video. Happy with both so far. Looking to get a circular polariser when one comes up at a reasonable price.

I've been using a Haida 10 stop for long exposures and Hoya Pro ND 4 stop for video. Happy with both so far. Looking to get a circular polariser when one comes up at a reasonable price.
What size?

I only ask because I have a 77mm Haida Nano Pro set on eBay

Is that the set with a variable ND and CPL? I did have a look at Haida's magnetic filters at the Photography Show, which I like the look of, but they are out of my budget for the moment.

Is that the set with a variable ND and CPL? I did have a look at Haida's magnetic filters at the Photography Show, which I like the look of, but they are out of my budget for the moment.

Haida NanoPro Variable ND Filter 77mm + Haida NanoPro Circular Polarising Filter 77mm + Haida Round Filter Case

This is the set:

(Can't seem to upload a proper size image but I imagine I can dm them maybe)

Attachments

• haid fil  small.jpg
    haid fil small.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 3
I use B&W HTC Polarizer and ND Filters in 82mm (fitting the 70-200 f/2.8 and 35 f/1.2) and use a stepup ring for the 16-35 f/4. This isn‘t optimal though because the stepup creates heavy vignetting at the very wide end. But the pain isn‘t big enough to spend another severe amount of money on additional filters

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a mix of Kase and Breakthrough Filters. Having been a Kase ambassador when they first launched in the UK for a few years, and now a Breakthrough Filters UK ambassador, I can thoroughly recommend either brand, and have a discount and affiliate link for Breakthrough.

So after a severe and quite nasty case of GAS I picked up an S5 today - couldn't resist with the £200 off and the free 50mm 1.8, extra battery etc.

Got it from Wilkinsons Cameras who also gave me a good price for my Old gear meaning I only had to pay £53 !

Not sure if I will keep the 50mm and will definitely not be using the shooting grip !

So after a severe and quite nasty case of GAS I picked up an S5 today - couldn't resist with the £200 off and the free 50mm 1.8, extra battery etc.

Got it from Wilkinsons Cameras who also gave me a good price for my Old gear meaning I only had to pay £53 !

Not sure if I will keep the 50mm and will definitely not be using the shooting grip !
Brilliant!

Seems pretty quiet here ! Is there any other useful forums or sites for L mount lenses - Panasonic biased that is !

Quick question for S5 users do you shoot in jPeg or RAW ?

I shot RAW with my Oly gear to get the most of the m43 sensor but reviews seem to really rate the jPegs that the S5 produces ?

99% of the time I shoot raw so I can tweak the photos and correct any errors in post. I only shoot JPG for photos that I want to get online quickly, like pictures for the classifieds or ebay.

Back