Lack of Portra 400 in 120

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
As someone once said 'The quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten'! If it means being able to enjoy taking a few photos in dimly lit conditions with an old classic camera, where flash would probably drain the 'mood' out of the photo and a tripod can't be used, then I don't mind the cost of the occasional roll of Portra 800 120 film. Why not push some cheaper film instead? Well, can you see much grain in this:

Taken with a 1953 Voigtlander Bessa 1 folding camera, hand held at 1/50 second, in a mixture of artificial light and daylight through roof skylights. As I said, I think it's lovely stuff. :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
As someone once said 'The quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten'! If it means being able to enjoy taking a few photos in dimly lit conditions with an old classic camera, where flash would probably drain the 'mood' out of the photo and a tripod can't be used, then I don't mind the cost of the occasional roll of Portra 800 120 film. Why not push some cheaper film instead? Well, can you see much grain in this:

Taken with a 1953 Voigtlander Bessa 1 folding camera, hand held at 1/50 second, in a mixture of artificial light and daylight through roof skylights. As I said, I think it's lovely stuff. :)

Very good quality but my point was using £15 Portra 800 ISO film in a 35mm camera and who uses it....for e.g. would think a pro at weddings would use MF

Perhaps F&C enthusiasts who like to shoot indoor subjects such as concerts, gigs, museums, galleries, interior architecture, travel photos, etc. I wouldn't think there'd be a huge market for it, but then again, they probably still shift more 35mm than 120? Anyway, as long as they keep making it (or an equivalent) I'll be happy. Back in the day I used to use Kodak Ektar 1000 for concert photography rather than use flash, but I imagine there won't be many gig photographers still using film!

Thanks for the heads up. Got me two boxes.

And me, very good price.

They don't seem to be charging the VAT for some reason on the Portra. Or the Ektar.

7dayshop:- Just got my Portra 160 and it was sent from Holland :confused: could be where they are based now, but no batteries with it as ordered...h'mm might come in a seperate package.

Last edited:
7dayshop:- Just got my Portra 160 and it was sent from Holland :confused: could be where they are based now, but no batteries with it as ordered...h'mm might come in a seperate package.

Thats often the case Brian, I have sometimes received packs of film in different consignments.

Thats often the case Brian, I have sometimes received packs of film in different consignments.

Ah...do you know Andy I was thinking, the film at 7dayshop is a very good price esp with 5% off and free del (mine is from Holland using "accelerated bulk airmail"). So if the £ picks up what is the price inc local del in Holland in euros as my son's partner lives there...h'mm I'll ask my son if you can you get on the site in Holland.

Up 2% today apparently ;) ... not enough, realistically!

Probably irrelevent anyway as 7dayshop.nl doesn't work so you'd have to buy from the UK although 7dayshop has a P.O. box number in Rotterdam.

Ha, GBP had its greatest daily percentage gain against the dollar in nearly 10 years today. Figures!

That said, the pound is still way down on where it was in the first half of 2016, today's gain notwithstanding.

Does seem strange with delivery as received the batteries separately from Holland h'mm surely it would be cheaper to send the film and batteries in one package as the batteries arrived 2 days later.
off topic:- What's wrong with the UK :rolleyes: is Rotterdam the supply base for the EU o_O as my son had a large box of garden light fittings delivered (not from 7dayshop) and they too were from Rotterdam :rolleyes:

Basically yes. Very large port and decent links to the rest of Northern Europe... And in the EU...

Interesting to know if film sent from Kodak and Fuji arrives at Rotterdam and all the suppliers of film in the UK get delivered their supplies...except 7dayshop. I noticed on the custom declaration for Portra and Ektar it was £15 well if VAT is added plus free delivery they can't make any profit.o_O

I have my VAT paid Fuji. The Kodak hasn't arrived yet.

Could be.... the film sent to Rotterdam from Kodak is £12.40 per pack then add Dutch VAT at 21% would be £15 (which is on the customs declaration), then delivery say at £2 would give a profit of £3 per pack. So Kodak have to make a profit so what does it cost them to make Portra.
Better wrap this up as it's getting complicated :D

Back