Lady Sue's 52 ART AND RELAXATION Page 16

I think that's worked much better Sue... but the colour looks a little faded...

having just gone read your post... I'm really sorry to hear your news, and I understand too

John and Andy have beaten me to it with the C&C - and as usual they're spot on.
Of the three versions, I think the middle one works best for me - although with just a little more work I think no.3 could be the winner.

Having just gone to read your post in OOF I understand why your mind wasn't really on it though.
So sorry to hear your news, my thoughts are with you and your family.

good take on this weeks poor theme. Out of the 3rd edits I prefer the text in the 2nd one

John and Andy have beaten me to it with the C&C - and as usual they're spot on.
Of the three versions, I think the middle one works best for me - although with just a little more work I think no.3 could be the winner.

Having just gone to read your post in OOF I understand why your mind wasn't really on it though.
So sorry to hear your news, my thoughts are with you and your family.

Thanks Sarah.

good take on this weeks poor theme. Out of the 3rd edits I prefer the text in the 2nd one

Thank you Darren. It was good practice as I had only done text on a picture a couple of times before.Now for a "beginning "picture.

Grunge works really well for me. (y)

I'm so sorry to read about your sad news and my sympathy goes out to all your family.

Beginning

I just got my first Macro lens this week so I am beginning to learn how to use it.

My first thought for this weeks theme was seeds so straight away I put some bean seeds in water to see if I could get them to sprout. I then took lots of pictures of the beans when they sprouted, with my new lens. This picture then is my first idea for beginning.

Then, because I was not totally happy with the focus on the bean I thought I would try another idea. So I took my old family bible outdoors ( cause I dont have any off camrea flash) and focused on the first verse, in the first book of the bible, which talks about the beginning of the world. All good practice with my new lens. Comments and criticism particularly appreciated this week to help me improve my macro skills.

Thanks
Sue

Sue, one of the great things about the 52, is when people keep going back to a shot and improving it in response to suggestions - and your Grunge shot is a case in point. It's great to see how you've moved the shot along from a good idea to a convincing shot. Brilliant - and a good take on a lousy theme as well. :clap::clap::clap:

I'm really pleased to see you've got your macro lens. I thought about sprouting some beans, but thought they wouldn't grow fast enough - so well done on getting them to shoot like that. As to the photo - it's a bit soft, and I wonder how close you were to the bean? Your point of focus might be sharper if you took if from a bit further away and then cropped in pp. But it fills the frame well and there's good detail. :)

The Bible shot is excellent - I love how you've got the focus spot on on the word Beginning. So that gives you another beginning - beginning to get the hang of dof on the macro lens. (y) :)

I still find the dof on my macro lens is a difficult beast to master. The slightest change in the point of focus can throw is out and getting the right dof for a given situation isn't easy. But, when it works, it's my favourite lens. Enjoy yours, and I look forward to seeing lots more of your 52s in close up. :)

Jean

Great takes on the 'beginnings' theme. I love macro photography and the way it shows a world that normally passes us by.

Both good ideas for the theme. As Jean says the bean is just a little soft but that is part of the learning curve with macro. It helps if you have a tripod and cable release, so that you can choose a smaller aperture for greater DoF if you want it. Also you can be sure you can keep the focus distance you have set. I find when hand-holding I can sway backwards and forwards a little - only a tiny fraction but it can be enough to spoil the focusing.

You have got it spot on in the Bible shot, though, and this works very well. I like the diagonals of the printed lines and the way you have isolated "beginning". Good work - you will have lot of fun with your new macro lens.

Sue, one of the great things about the 52, is when people keep going back to a shot and improving it in response to suggestions - and your Grunge shot is a case in point. It's great to see how you've moved the shot along from a good idea to a convincing shot. Brilliant - and a good take on a lousy theme as well. :clap::clap::clap:

I'm really pleased to see you've got your macro lens. I thought about sprouting some beans, but thought they wouldn't grow fast enough - so well done on getting them to shoot like that. As to the photo - it's a bit soft, and I wonder how close you were to the bean? Your point of focus might be sharper if you took if from a bit further away and then cropped in pp. But it fills the frame well and there's good detail. :)

The Bible shot is excellent - I love how you've got the focus spot on on the word Beginning. So that gives you another beginning - beginning to get the hang of dof on the macro lens. (y) :)

I still find the dof on my macro lens is a difficult beast to master. The slightest change in the point of focus can throw is out and getting the right dof for a given situation isn't easy. But, when it works, it's my favourite lens. Enjoy yours, and I look forward to seeing lots more of your 52s in close up. :)

Jean

Thanks Jean. I do like the macro lens and have wanted one for a long time. As you say the slightest movement makes a difference. I think I would have been better moving back a bit from that bean. It is not cropped at all.

For the bible photo I did lots of shots and wedged my arm against the table to stop my hand shaking. Eventually I got this one which I was happy enough with, even though its not perfect.

Great takes on the 'beginnings' theme. I love macro photography and the way it shows a world that normally passes us by.

Thanks. I am enjoying it too.

Both good ideas for the theme. As Jean says the bean is just a little soft but that is part of the learning curve with macro. It helps if you have a tripod and cable release, so that you can choose a smaller aperture for greater DoF if you want it. Also you can be sure you can keep the focus distance you have set. I find when hand-holding I can sway backwards and forwards a little - only a tiny fraction but it can be enough to spoil the focusing.

You have got it spot on in the Bible shot, though, and this works very well. I like the diagonals of the printed lines and the way you have isolated "beginning". Good work - you will have lot of fun with your new macro lens.

Thank you. I much prefer the bible shot myself but I had to post my bean shot after sprouting the beans specially for the shot.Yes I have used a tripod for some of my macro shots but I find it quite restricting and it takes too long to set up and the insect is usually gone. I have to practise, practise, practise.:)

Sue

Both images work well with the theme Sue. #2 gets my vote, I like the dof used, isolating the word. You have got your point of focus spot on, very sharp(y).
I like the first image too, rich colours and good composition. It just needs a different focus point, which is easier said than done I appreciate. Like you said practice practice practice ;)

Fisrt one is a bit too oof for me but I think the second is really good. Really well focused on the important word for this theme.

2 really good ideas for this weeks theme, for me the bean shot isn't quite right but with a bit of practice you'll get it spot on.
As for the Bible shot I think this wors really well and is my favourite of the two

Hi Sue, your bean shot was a great idea, but as others have said, getting the DOF right is tricky with macros. I find it impossible to take macro shots without a tripod. I am just too shaky. You also need lots of light to get a better DOF.

Having said that, you have obviously mastered it pretty well already with your bible shot. I love it. It fits the theme perfectly. The DOF is spot on and the focus point is perfect too. :clap::clap::clap:

Jenny

Both images work well with the theme Sue. #2 gets my vote, I like the dof used, isolating the word. You have got your point of focus spot on, very sharp(y).
I like the first image too, rich colours and good composition. It just needs a different focus point, which is easier said than done I appreciate. Like you said practice practice practice ;)

Thanks Iain. I think I got too close with the bean shot and so couldnt get all of the bean in focus.

Fisrt one is a bit too oof for me but I think the second is really good. Really well focused on the important word for this theme.

Thank you. I just kept taking shots until I got it just right.

2 really good ideas for this weeks theme, for me the bean shot isn't quite right but with a bit of practice you'll get it spot on.
As for the Bible shot I think this wors really well and is my favourite of the two

Thank you Darren. You are right I need to get some more practise at focusing.

Hi Sue, your bean shot was a great idea, but as others have said, getting the DOF right is tricky with macros. I find it impossible to take macro shots without a tripod. I am just too shaky. You also need lots of light to get a better DOF.

Having said that, you have obviously mastered it pretty well already with your bible shot. I love it. It fits the theme perfectly. The DOF is spot on and the focus point is perfect too. :clap::clap::clap:

Jenny

Thanks Jenny. I have been practising with the macro lens all week. No bee or bug has gone unphotographed in my garden.:LOL:

I'm not sure if I will be able to get on here for the next week or so as I am going to stay with my cousin to look after her until after her son's funeral. So please excuse me if I dont reply to any comments. I will probably be able to talk on her computer but I know it has been playing up.Please lleave comments and I will reply when I can.

Sue

Second shot for me Sue.

The first does nothing for me as an image, regardless of the miss focus.

The second is on the money, whilst each theme could be taken in a similar fashion the famous quote you have taken has needed much less of a crowbar, well done!

Glad to see you having fun with the new lens Sue.
And while the bean isn't perfect, for your first attempt I think it's an impressive start. Extra points from me for sprouting the beans specifically for the theme too.

I think you've got it spot on with the bible though.
The focus looks perfect and the DoF spot on to isolate the one word. In fact I think this is my favourite from your 52 so far.

Looking forward to seeing more macro stuff from you.

Hey Sue, first sorry to hear about your cousins loss :(

as for your Beginnings shots, very cool!!! Look macro lenses they open up a whole new world, enjoy it ;)

Thank you. Yes I have been noticing little bugs and things that I had never really noticed before.

Second shot for me Sue.

The first does nothing for me as an image, regardless of the miss focus.

The second is on the money, whilst each theme could be taken in a similar fashion the famous quote you have taken has needed much less of a crowbar, well done!

Thank you.

Glad to see you having fun with the new lens Sue.
And while the bean isn't perfect, for your first attempt I think it's an impressive start. Extra points from me for sprouting the beans specifically for the theme too.

I think you've got it spot on with the bible though.
The focus looks perfect and the DoF spot on to isolate the one word. In fact I think this is my favourite from your 52 so far.

Looking forward to seeing more macro stuff from you.

Thank you Sarah. I am looking forward to taking some more macro pics for my 52.
Sue

Congrats on the new lens Sue (y)

The bean shot is so close, but when you get in this close, the DOF is so narrow that it's way to easy for the subject to slip out of the area of focus. Even if you're running at f/16 (I'd love to know how Alby and others manage it) I have trouble a lot. I think it's suffered from being shot at the aperture you have.

Now the bible verse on the other hand... very well done, as has been said, spot on with the DOF and the angles.

Congrats on the new lens Sue (y)

The bean shot is so close, but when you get in this close, the DOF is so narrow that it's way to easy for the subject to slip out of the area of focus. Even if you're running at f/16 (I'd love to know how Alby and others manage it) I have trouble a lot. I think it's suffered from being shot at the aperture you have.

Now the bible verse on the other hand... very well done, as has been said, spot on with the DOF and the angles.

Thank you John. I will have to watch my apertures when I get close.
Sue

Art

I saw this during a ride around Liverpool. I chose this first photo as my art theme because I like the angle better but the second photo shows more of the artwork.I will post a couple more art shots I got this week in another forum.

Last edited:
Art - likethe first one - the figure looks very 3D

Relaxation - fits the theme well and I like all the different colours and textures in the walls and steps/

Art - I agree with your choice. Even thought the second one shows more of the artwork the first is much more dramatic as the main subject is isolated.

Relaxation - well spotted and well captured, and good contrasts of shapes, colours and textures. If it were mine I would crop the top a little to get rid of the black horizontal railing which I find a bit distracting. I think it would increase the impact - but that is only my opinion.

I wonder if his nose peeled after all that sun...

ART: definitely the first one for me (y) Definitely more dramatic. I think #2 is useful in that it gives more of the context but for me #1 is the winner :clap::clap:

RELAXATION: definitely fits the bill for the theme although I agree it would be a better composition without the railing. Other than that, well spotted (y)

Art - likethe first one - the figure looks very 3D

Relaxation - fits the theme well and I like all the different colours and textures in the walls and steps/

Thanks. It is a beautiful old building.

Art - I agree with your choice. Even thought the second one shows more of the artwork the first is much more dramatic as the main subject is isolated.

Relaxation - well spotted and well captured, and good contrasts of shapes, colours and textures. If it were mine I would crop the top a little to get rid of the black horizontal railing which I find a bit distracting. I think it would increase the impact - but that is only my opinion.

I wonder if his nose peeled after all that sun...

You are right. I wasnt sure about the railing but I dont like leaving the post there without it.

ART: definitely the first one for me (y) Definitely more dramatic. I think #2 is useful in that it gives more of the context but for me #1 is the winner :clap::clap:

RELAXATION: definitely fits the bill for the theme although I agree it would be a better composition without the railing. Other than that, well spotted (y)

Thank you. I will do an edit without the railing

Sue

Wow Sue! Your photography seems to have taken a huge leap forward these last couple of weeks.

The second art shot is an interesting record of the place, but I really like the first one a lot.
I like the fact that you've chosen an interesting angle rather than just shooting it straight on and the focus looks perfect. It's a shame that you seem to have caught the sky at a moment when a cloud is passing by, rather than the lovely blue in no.2, but it really doesn't put me off at all.

I also like your relaxation shot. Bang on theme, well spotted and well composed. The edit without the railing finishes it off perfectly for me.

Wow Sue! Your photography seems to have taken a huge leap forward these last couple of weeks.

The second art shot is an interesting record of the place, but I really like the first one a lot.
I like the fact that you've chosen an interesting angle rather than just shooting it straight on and the focus looks perfect. It's a shame that you seem to have caught the sky at a moment when a cloud is passing by, rather than the lovely blue in no.2, but it really doesn't put me off at all.

I also like your relaxation shot. Bang on theme, well spotted and well composed. The edit without the railing finishes it off perfectly for me.

Thank you Sarah. I was helped this last couple of weeks by being away from home and lots of different things to photograph.I got both these shots on a trip out to Liverpool with my cousin. She knew good places to take me.
Thanks
Sue

That's a good candid shot! I like the context given by the building, but I'd be tempted to crop even tighter by taking some off the rhs.

Phil

I like your "art" image(s) a lot Sue. I feel these images are more about the content than the photography, what I mean by that is that they are strong images and represent the art, (if that makes sense :thinking:)) :D

I like your relaxation image too, a cracking candid image, good composition, colours and the second one cropped gets a big (y) from me. Iain

Very good Sue... love the chosen Art image, even if it's not the whole artwork. A Much stronger image.

Relaxing.. sure looks relaxed to me, very well shot.

I like your "art" image(s) a lot Sue. I feel these images are more about the content than the photography, what I mean by that is that they are strong images and represent the art, (if that makes sense :thinking:)) :D

I like your relaxation image too, a cracking candid image, good composition, colours and the second one cropped gets a big (y) from me. Iain

Thanks Iain. I do understand, I think, what you mean about the art image. I was trying to capture the art, which I think is excellent. I didnt need to do too much in the way of fancy photography to do it.( Just as well cause I am still very much a beginner when it comes to settings, PP etc and dont have much equipment).

That's a good candid shot! I like the context given by the building, but I'd be tempted to crop even tighter by taking some off the rhs.

Phil

Yes I can see I could take more off. I'll have a go later and see what it looks like.Thanks Phil.

Very good Sue... love the chosen Art image, even if it's not the whole artwork. A Much stronger image.

Relaxing.. sure looks relaxed to me, very well shot.

Thank you John. I'm glad you like them.

Sue

I like your chosen art shot, but I feel a front on would have worked a little better? Especially in the secons image, which may be why the angle is off.. if it were front on I think it'd look great!

relaxation fits the bill perfectly! :)

I like your chosen art shot, but I feel a front on would have worked a little better? Especially in the secons image, which may be why the angle is off.. if it were front on I think it'd look great!

relaxation fits the bill perfectly! :)

Thanks Louise. I am happy with the first art shot but feel the angle is wrong in the second. It was hard to get the Beatles heads in any other way.

Back