North England Lake District, First Time Photo Tour.

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
No
Hi Everyone, I am heading to the Lakes in October for my first visit as a landscape photographer,

I am very excited about heading down there to photo some of the stunning views, I am wondering if anyone can give me any help on some things,

Best value for money B&B or Hotel?
Best base area for best access, (I heard Langdale was one of the best areas)

Looking to be there for a few days so will be driving round to new locations.

Any help would be appreciated, I was thinking of buying the Photography in the Lake District book but would prefer a more personal experience from the people on the forum that have shot the area.

Just turn up ....... Put tripod up and point lens in any direction! You won't be disappointed! You can get a book and shoot the usual touristy landscapes or do what I did and just drive and walk! I went to blea tarn one day with a group.......... I'd finished shooting and said at the car park I was going the other way for 5 minutes to see what's around........ I came back 6 hours later! I just kept going

Last edited:
Just turn up ....... Put tripod up and point lens in any direction! You won't be disappointed! You can get a book and shoot the usual touristy landscapes or do what I did and just drive and walk! I went to blea tarn one day with a group.......... I'd finished shooting and said at the car park I was going the other way for 5 minutes to see what's around........ I came back 6 hours later! I just kept going

Brilliant, Thanks Mark, It sounds like its a pretty awesome place, I am very excited to catch the scenery in the Autumn colours.

It's the best concentration of different locations in a small area IN THE WORLD (In clarkson voice)

Waterfalls a plenty! Castlerigg for stones

Plus one for Castlerigg, but like Mark said, you simply can't go wrong. My favourite 'hidden gem' (as if any place in the Lakes could be hidden), is on the fells between Ulpha and Eskdale. In late evening light the mountains are simply stunning.

If you are near you must drive Hardknott Pass in both directions , its awesome , I loved it , incredible views

Keswick is a good place to stay with a range of accommodation.
You should book ahead though it's busy year round.

Hi Everyone, I am heading to the Lakes in October for my first visit as a landscape photographer,

I am very excited about heading down there to photo some of the stunning views, I am wondering if anyone can give me any help on some things,

Best value for money B&B or Hotel?
Best base area for best access, (I heard Langdale was one of the best areas)

Looking to be there for a few days so will be driving round to new locations.

Any help would be appreciated, I was thinking of buying the Photography in the Lake District book but would prefer a more personal experience from the people on the forum that have shot the area.

Youth Hotels are great VFM. Linky

This is one of the best books I've bought on photography

When you going? See here.

Enjoy

If you are near you must drive Hardknott Pass in both directions , its awesome , I loved it , incredible views

That is an experience that terrifies many. It can be really frustrating driving in the lakes.

If you would like a quieter experience try the western lakes like Wastwater and Ennerdale though Ennerdale is not easy to shoot.

One of the most central locations has to be Ambleside, just venture out in all directions as there is plenty in that area. Although you say the books will take you to the more touristy areas there is a wealth of information in them and it's surprising the mpnumber less well known locations it can bring up. They also cut out a lot of research regarding parking locations too. IMHO the books are worth the money for the info they provide. Useful to glance at nearby locations whilst you are in an area.

Last edited:
Ambleside is an excellent base, you'd have Rydal Water, Grasmere and the Langdale areas close by, plus Clappersgate Bridge and Stock Ghyll Woods just outside the town. Derwent Water isn't that far either, and Ullswater is a blast over the Kirkstone Pass. If you head out of Ambleside towards Little Langdale and Blea Tarn there's lots of beautiful woodland, if you get early morning mist it's spectacular in autumn. When are you going? The last week of October and start of November are often great for colour

Ambleside is an excellent base, you'd have Rydal Water, Grasmere and the Langdale areas close by, plus Clappersgate Bridge and Stock Ghyll Woods just outside the town. Derwent Water isn't that far either, and Ullswater is a blast over the Kirkstone Pass. If you head out of Ambleside towards Little Langdale and Blea Tarn there's lots of beautiful woodland, if you get early morning mist it's spectacular in autumn. When are you going? The last week of October and start of November are often great for colour

Cheers for the info, I am heading down for the end of October for a dew days, Just looking round for somewhere to base and sleep. Sounds like a good idea with a lot of choice round Ambleside, I am now doing bit of searching. :snaphappy::snaphappy::snaphappy:

I was going to create a thread until I saw this one.....I'm thinking about heading out there myself for a day for a drive and for photography. I know I've been to the Lake District many years ago when I was in my teens, but I cannot remember where we went.

I've noticed down Blea tarn.....now to plan a route to take :):whistle::sleep:

I was going to create a thread until I saw this one.....I'm thinking about heading out there myself for a day for a drive and for photography. I know I've been to the Lake District many years ago when I was in my teens, but I cannot remember where we went.

I've noticed down Blea tarn.....now to plan a route to take :):whistle::sleep:

Blea Tarn is wonderful. If you get the light and no wind there are some great reflections to be had. Try getting up higher for some different angles (y)

Not sure when you're going but I'll be there early October with some fellow TPers, linky

Cheers.

Most likely this week, but thanks (y)

I will be heading down on the 16th of October weekend for a Saturday morning and evening and a Sunday sunrise so will do a bit of hunting on Saturday ands TPE to source some locations.

I am looking forward to getting down, The last time i was down was in 2014 and covering the Grizedale Rally.

That is an experience that terrifies many. It can be really frustrating driving in the lakes.

If you would like a quieter experience try the western lakes like Wastwater and Ennerdale though Ennerdale is not easy to shoot.

LOL, I had a car where the brakes just went soft going down the Hardnott. It was ok as wasn't going quickly but the reduced braking performance was a worry. Big heavy cars on that road are quite a toll.

LOL, I had a car where the brakes just went soft going down the Hardnott. It was ok as wasn't going quickly but the reduced braking performance was a worry. Big heavy cars on that road are quite a toll.

I once overheated my brakes going down the Eskdale side of Hardknot (I was inexperienced at the time) following an over cautious driver.
I should have stopped and waited for them to get out of the way.

Reactions: ST4
I once overheated my brakes going down the Eskdale side of Hardknot (I was inexperienced at the time) following an over cautious driver.
I should have stopped and waited for them to get out of the way.

What was a bigger worry is the car in question was a Mercedes with an AMG sports braking package, drilled front discs to help with keeping the brakes cool. They weren't very good, actually the whole Mercedes C class is a bit of a crap car so if you are thinking of buying one, don't. I am sure the E classes and S classes are made better with better parts as have taken E classes down there and it was fine.

Ambleside is a great place, lots of choice for food and close to some great locations! I just got "The photographers guide to the Lake District" by E Bowness for some ideas on locations

Hardknott is a must obviously, once overheated a Micra there, after a massive tail end slide.

The views from Sharp Edge are great, especially looking along the arête. There's some nice standing stones around.

And for the rainy day Keswick Pencil Museum.

Well I still haven't been to the Lakes. Maybe I'll go there one day yet.

Back