North England Lake District Sunset - Mid June - Where to go?

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Going to camp in the lakes tomorrow night, can go anywhere but want decent sunset light and location.

Not Buttermere as I was there a couple of weeks ago. Any suggestions for catching the good light at this time of year?

Considering Wasdale but just aware it's pretty far out and need to be in the Langdales at 9 on Saturday morning.

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:
Going to camp in the lakes tomorrow night, can go anywhere but want decent sunset light and location.

Not Buttermere as I was there a couple of weeks ago. Any suggestions for catching the good light at this time of year?

Considering Wasdale but just aware it's pretty far out and need to be in the Langdales at 9 on Saturday morning.

Thanks,

Tom

Well as sunrise is so early you would have time to get from wasdale to langdale if you did decide on that...

This time of year looking up the Lake to wasdale head the sunrise would be behind great gable and if the sky colours up could be great, but no light on foreground or other options if you don't get colourful sky.

If you want to shoot with the light of the rising sun I'd say haweswater climbing up the path off the left hand side of the road to look due west towards high street could be tasty too.

You can never go far wrong with derwent water either, quite quick to get round one side or the other depending what the light is doing, i.e better with it or without it.

Personally I find planning a bit hard in mountain valley areas like the lakes, you never know which direction the colour is going to be, often it's reflected light opposite the direction of the sun. The best shots are normally for me side lit an hour or so before sunset or after sunrise where the sun is high enough to add light and shade. High up works and gives you options and the wild mountain feel.

Low down by the lakes if still can give reflections, so I also base it on the wind forecast...

Well as sunrise is so early you would have time to get from wasdale to langdale if you did decide on that...

This time of year looking up the Lake to wasdale head the sunrise would be behind great gable and if the sky colours up could be great, but no light on foreground or other options if you don't get colourful sky.

If you want to shoot with the light of the rising sun I'd say haweswater climbing up the path off the left hand side of the road to look due west towards high street could be tasty too.

You can never go far wrong with derwent water either, quite quick to get round one side or the other depending what the light is doing, i.e better with it or without it.

Personally I find planning a bit hard in mountain valley areas like the lakes, you never know which direction the colour is going to be, often it's reflected light opposite the direction of the sun. The best shots are normally for me side lit an hour or so before sunset or after sunrise where the sun is high enough to add light and shade. High up works and gives you options and the wild mountain feel.

Low down by the lakes if still can give reflections, so I also base it on the wind forecast...

Cheers for that, good points! Might go to Keswick as loads of options for rise and set from there.

Wasdale for sunset and Blea Tarn for sunrise would be my suggestion and you would then be very close to the Langdales for your 9.00am meet up.

That works geographically too as Wasdale is not that far from Blea Tarn in the big scheme of things.

For anyone that’s never been to Wasdale it’s not the most accessible place but when you arrive it’s the most satisfying and you can pretty much pull up anywhere for a short stop with lots of areas for longer stops.

Sorry just realised how old this post is lol

Back