Lake District Weekend Meet

A slightly different edit as I've just discovered that in Photoshop I can open up any file in camera RAW not just RAW files... I am so slow....

Derwent-Water-2 by Andy, on Flickr

^^^^^^^^^

Very good photograph,I like the reflections,sky and overall composition.(y)

Clone that bloody red buoy out. :exit:

Yep, like that Andy :)

Exposure is about spot on. What film was this again? It looks to have scanned rather well.

I have to agree, give the buoy a good cloning :D

First ones on here from me, these from Saturday morning. First, Moss Force in black and white, Delta 400 in the Pentax MX with a Pentax-M 35mm f/2:

Then Buttermere. The lake was wonderfully smooth when we got there. I took the Minolta Autocord loaded with Portra 400 to have another try with it. Bit of a nightmare trying to remember how to adjust the settings! It seemed to work better on the monopod than handheld.

R1-01649-0002 by Chris R, on Flickr

Also a couple with the other Pentax MX, loaded with Vista 400, using my new Vivitar 28mm Close Focus lens:

Last edited:
Thanks Jonathan. I was completely blown away by the Filmdev scans of those 6*6 negatives from the Autocord, although I hadn't noticed the pinkish note. Odd, considering it was late morning. It appears in the Vista shots as well. I'm wondering if it was the effect of that rather uniform cloud? Not sure anyone got much cloud action that day!

Some from dawn on Sunday morning. Woken up early by that @donut, then @ivornikon came in while I was having some cereal, saying dawn was beginning by the lake. This is expired Ektachrome E200 (the "unknown ISO" film) shot at 100, Pentax MX on the monopod, Vivitar 28mm lens. Exposures possibly starting from 1/4 second. The slightly wild colours of the Ektachrome really suit this, I think! (But I'm selling the remaining rolls, on the Bay at the mo.)

1) Before dawn

1510DPMXCS20 by Chris R, on Flickr

2) first hints of pink

3) This one is also in the "Reflect Glory" challenge thread.

1510DPMXCS26 by Chris R, on Flickr

4) Ready to burst forth

1510DPMXCS31 by Chris R, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. It was extraordinary. I've only photographed through one dawn before (llandudno) and it didn't prepare me for the experience in such a beautiful setting.

Those are all excellent Chris. Wish I'd got up just a bit earlier now....:(

Those are all excellent Chris. Wish I'd got up just a bit earlier now....:(
^^^WHS^^^ Beautiful shots Chris, you have put us all to shame.

Thanks guys. It's all down to @donut, else I'd have been snoring with the rest of you! But it was pure magic...

Sunday morning after breakfast, we all went back out to the Derwent Water shore, to a very different scene.

1) That little tree... This shot has been really bugging me as I wanted to lift the beach, and in the process of fiddling found settings which raised the colour of those hills, but darkened the beach!

R2-01650-0016 by Chris R, on Flickr

2) I got obsessed with the sun through the trees on the little peninsula. Took several shots, none of which worked out quite how I had hoped, but I think I like this one best.

Last edited:
1) That little tree... This shot has been really bugging me as I wanted to lift the beach, and in the process of fiddling found settings which raised the colour of those hills, but darkened the beach!

I use Photoshop and usually apply that sort of change to selected areas only - to avoid unwanted consequences. Assuming you didn't want to darken the beach, of course.

I use Photoshop and usually apply that sort of change to selected areas only - to avoid unwanted consequences. Assuming you didn't want to darken the beach, of course.

I use Aperture; I tried brushing in a change, but it was awful, so I reverted. I do need to work on my PP skills!

Oh BTW the film was 2007-expired Reala 100, can't remember if it was shot at 80 or 64.

Sunday afternoon Chris @raathistle took me to Wastwater, @Woodsy and @nikki_s (Shaun the Sheep no more, apparently) in their car, and donut and mate also turned up.

1) I still had some frames on my Autocord, so this was on Portra 400...

R1-01649-0006 by Chris R, on Flickr

The next few are on expired Sensia 100, shot at either 64 or 80 (probably the former). The light was odd and got odder; however there's clearly a weird colour cast. My attempts at converting it into something better failed, so I decided it was moody enough to keep. Pentax MX etc.

2) Now what this shot needs, @Woodsy , is an autumn leaf on that first stone... :)

3) As we drove in Chris @raathistle pointed to the grim, grey looking scree slopes opposite and said, there are some nice colours in there if the light comes. Well, the hoped for evening light didn't really materialise (if light can do that?), but I took this shot anyway (later in the afternoon), and was rather pleasantly surprised.

1510EPMXCS13 by Chris R, on Flickr

4) As the sun got lower (still behind cloud), the dying bracken began to glow rather nicely...

1510EPMXCS02 by Chris R, on Flickr

5) Went for a walk with the MX loaded with Delta 400, and very taken with this tree...

1510HPMXBW30 by Chris R, on Flickr

Sorry to add so many; this is a very severe cull!

Last edited:
Some more crackers in there Chris, you had a right old weekend of it.

Thanks Jonathan and Andy. Agree about the Buttermere reflections, and that Moss Force pic is the best so far by a margin!

OK, my final few from Monday morning. It was raining early, so much later when we got out.

1) Same film (expired Sensia 100) as the Wastwater shots, not corrected, maybe early mornings really are this blue!

1510EPMXCS34 by Chris R, on Flickr

2) Hawes End jetty

3) A bit later, a lot further along the lake (away from Keswick), expired Reala 100 shot at 64 or 80.

R3-01651-0033 by Chris R, on Flickr

So that's pretty much it... I only regretted the monopod for a couple of shots, versus quite a few I'd have missed with a tripod... I really enjoyed that weekend!

Last edited:
Hark I hath completed (some) scanning!

A few from me, still got another roll (or two) to scan. These are the first of the Rollei Pan25, I had to punt at the developing times. But they seem to be okay.

In no particular order.

1) Moss force looking down the valley, one of the few I'm actually happy with.a bit of Moss Force looking down Newlands Valley by Steven, on Flickr

2) The actual (Moss Force) waterfall.
2015-10-RB67-Pan25004 by Steven, on Flickr

c) @Woodsy and I were discussing the ultimate water mark (finger prints), well I did it! Not sure how I managed to get these so monumentally finger printed, I've not had a chance to try to clean the neg and rescan they might be baked in. Derwent
Derwent water (finger prints to hell) by Steven, on Flickr

iv) another one from Saturday morning at Derwent before we headed out.
2015-10-RB67-Pan25001 by Steven, on Flickr

More to come once I've got them sorted on flickr

Those first two are absolutely terrific, lovely stuff, Steve. Get scanning, man!

These are all off Aria Force where @Andysnap, @Yv and I wandered off to on Sunday. I have never shot so many waterfalls as I did this weekend and the subsequent in Glen Coe.

I'm not sure about these tbh.
1 - Aria Force bridge by Steven, on Flickr
2 - Aria Force by Steven, on Flickr
3 - Aria Force by Steven, on Flickr

and the tree bench with loads of coins hammered in. I had a single frame left and its not a cliche if its shot on a 4kg camera...
a) 2015-10-RB67-Pan25022 by Steven, on Flickr

Last edited:
The level of detail and range of tones in the first 3 is astonishing; were they also the Rollei 25? Second one I like best, particularly if you lost the bridge! :)

The level of detail and range of tones in the first 3 is astonishing; were they also the Rollei 25? Second one I like best, particularly if you lost the bridge! :)

I'll have a look at the bridge! Yeah Pan25 I really wish I'd discovered it before it went out of production it is lush, I considered selling it after I got the arca but I'm convinced I'll keep it for highdays and holidays.

And two from the Pan F roll from the Sunday morning. I really like Pan F but it hates me. Most the 10 are too contrasty with excessive blocked highlights and all of them have have little black marks on the negative which shows through as white "effects" in the highlights and areas of constant tone. I've had this before but I forgot all about it, probably need deionised water for the soup.

Derwent Water Morning by Steven, on Flickr

Derwent Water Morning by Steven, on Flickr

1) I thought I'd add my POTY15 entry from the Lake District to this thread. Really is made by the light!

Derwent morning by Chris R, on Flickr

2) This shot is the one I thought at the time would be the POTY entry. The scene was fantastic, with those bright rays coming in from the left and shining onto the little house on the headland. But in the end, I couldn't get the rays strong enough, and there was so much of a left-right divide in terms of light versus dark, that after a few days on the wall I knew it had to be the other one. I still like it though. Thanks to @raathistle for pointing the shot out to me while I was looking the other way!

R3-01651-0023 by Chris R, on Flickr

Both Pentax MX, SMC M35/2, Reala 100 at 80

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. Fuji Reala 100, expired 2007. I bought a brick of 20 for £27 just before it disappeared. I think I could sell it now for almost a tenner a roll. No chance! Definitely a special favourite film, I think I have 12 left...

23018869995_c597886310_b.jpg
Der
Oh my, this one just spoke to me as soon as I saw it. Something about the sharpness of the rocks versus the indistinct, almost painting-like background. It reminds me of an illustrating photograph you might get from a book in the 1920s or 30s, for some reason I can't put my finger on. Really, really nice, Steve.

(Just realised the other thing my eye was drawn to - that cloud on the right is every so slightly in front of the hill. It really pulls it into spatial context as a focal point, rather than background)

As pretty as the other one is, this is my favorite. This one is pretty too, but it also says mysterious to me because of that slightly sunlit patch on the right. I really want to know what the white specks are, and if there's someone there enjoying that shaft of sunlight.

As pretty as the other one is, this is my favorite. This one is pretty too, but it also says mysterious to me because of that slightly sunlit patch on the right. I really want to know what the white specks are, and if there's someone there enjoying that shaft of sunlight.

Thanks Keith, some really thoughtful crit from you as always. I think this one works in the small, if that makes sense; looking at the details, I do get those sort of ideas. It was when I printed it and put it on the wall that it didn't quite work so well, in the larger as it were. It's a shot that makes me cross that I didn't have the skill to make more of it. A fantastic experience and a real buzz taking it, though.

I think this one works in the small, if that makes sense; looking at the details, I do get those sort of ideas. It was when I printed it and put it on the wall that it didn't quite work so well, in the larger as it were.

Yeah, I get that. I sometimes have shots that I'm looking at full-screen in Lightroom and they don't do much for me, but then I see a large thumbnail of it in Windows Explorer and it's like a different image. I imagine picking a size for display is a skill/craft in itself.

A couple more Yashica 635 scans before I pack in for the night;

1) Buttermere on Provia 100. I found the colours a bit muddy on the original shot so converted this to a high contrast B&W instead.

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1448153019.856345.jpg

2) First one on Portra 400

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1448153099.577150.jpg

3) Another Porta 400

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1448153126.169984.jpg

4) Last one for tonight. Again shot on Provia 100 but with the light pretty flat I didn't like the colour result so decided on a B&W conversion which I think suits the layers of hills in the background

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1448153183.364299.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Back