Beginner Landscape kit - I want to be buy something!

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
What is the more important item, a circular polarizing filter and ND grad? At the moment I have neither and guess I should have both?

As jay says

…a polariser will get you results that can't be replicated in post.

+1

I have both and the NDs also have effects that can't be PPed either!

+1

I'm in love currently with my 2 stop reverse grad! It's great for sunrise-set!

I go for both along with decent outdoor gear, maps, and, if you don't have it, download the Photographer's Ephemeris.

Dave

Last edited:

+1

The OP said ND grad - easily replicated in post-processing, provided the sky hasn't actually blown. With more control too, and with the latest version of Lightroom CC (from your friends at Adobe ;)) there's the facility to cut-out around buildings/trees/mountains etc that break above the grad line, so better than doing it with a filter.

I would suggest a tripod being at the top of the list. That'll allow a small aperture and good depth of field with a low ISO. If you start combining a grad and polariser you'll soon need one of these in any case.

A circular polarising filter is a good buy - don't buy too cheap though, same for any filter. A 10-stopper is a good buy though but only if you like ultra smooth water. Next to impossible to achieve without one though.

As for the others I have a 0.6 graduating filter and a 0.9 neutral density filter (2-stop/3-stop respectively) as these are probably used more than the others in landscapes.

Nick's suggestion of a tripod is very good and, as he says, should be bought before the filters.

2-stop reverse grad? No idea I'm afraid :)

Neutral Density filters normally fall in to two types: full or graduated. Generally a square filter system is preferred as the graduated ND filter can be moved up and down as required. Circular polarisers will also rotate in the square filter holder. Personally I have never used a reverse grad. There is so only so many you can carry !

What's a reverse grad? How does it differ from a regular grad?

The. BOttom half Is clear and the middle is 2 stop darkened and it gets lighter as it goes up! Handy for when sun is on horizon and sky above you is still dark! It helps getting dark corner

A reverse grad is the one filter I wouldn't want to lose, especially for the winter months where the sun stays low in the sky.

I've never been fond of grad ND's... I've never lived in an area with straight/flat horizons. CPL's are more useful, but it's not an everyday item... Same with solid ND's.

The. BOttom half Is clear and the middle is 2 stop darkened and it gets lighter as it goes up! Handy for when sun is on horizon and sky above you is still dark! It helps getting dark corner

Thanks, that makes sense never knew they made such a thing.

Thanks, that makes sense never knew they made such a thing.

Lee don't do one as their manufacturing process won't allow it but Hitech and sinha Ray do!

My Hitech one is fab!

I'd say get a tripod first, or even better still go out take some of your usual shots then decide how equipment might be able to help with this, and if so which equipment would you get most use from?

Assumed you had one

I have a tripod, but it's not really good enough for the job. A bit of wind and it's all over the place.

Back