Laptop for Photo Editing

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, would like your comments on the following speck laptop. It is to replace my ageing HP Pavilion .
It looks a good speck with the latest i7-8550u processor. My concern is it is only a 14" screen. Cannot
find any other laptop of this configuration for the price. Thanks in advance for any comments.
HP Pavilion 14-bf153sa 14" Laptop £699.00p (was £899.99)
Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor
- Quad-core
- 1.8 GHz / 4 GHz (Turbo Boost)
- 8 MB cache
8 GB DDR4
256 GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
- 4 GB GDDR5
IPS BrightView
- WLED backlighting 1920 x 1080.

There is a given point where anything smaller than 17" is
not really suitable for a laptop. Better, is anything over 24"!

Processing power comes second to screen real estate in my
operations.

I only use 27"… but I may not have the budget restrictions!

You need to see the screen in person.

Many laptop screens are a total dead loss for photo editing because they design them with anti glare covers or power saving in mind.

The biggest shockers are business laptops, rubbish for photography.

I have several but don't have the gall to see them to people on here because I know they are useless for editing

I agree with @Kodiak Qc the bigger the screen the better.

Can I ask why a laptop have you considered a desktop?

I have a Macbook pro 13 which I use for uploading my images to my external harddrives when I'm on holiday and to review images but I use a desk top with a Eizo 27" screen to do my editting as the lighting stays the same in the room the screen is and the screen is set in postion I don't get any variaiton in hte light hitting the screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have a desktop system, but the grandson took over the room. Wifey won't have a computer in the lounge, so was
relegated to a laptop. Listening to what you say, should I therefore be looking at a larger laptop; like a 17 inch.

17" IPS panel - one where the colours & brightness remain reasonably steady when you change viewing angles. Also be aware that processors described as i7-8550U are just dual core units, so if you were planning intensive workloads it will be a bit limp.

It's often better not to buy a giant heavy laptop with a compromised screen. But get a still portable 14"-15" one, and plug in a monitor of your choice for photo work.

I am led to believe all new 8*** series processors are quad core. As the one for the laptop I asked about is quad core. Looking at the speck;
the screen size is my only concern.

It's often better not to buy a giant heavy laptop with a compromised screen. But get a still portable 14"-15" one, and plug in a monitor of your choice for photo work.

That is a good option i think!
14" are a very nice size. I bought a 12.5 before and send it back because this was too small. 14" i can live with, little bit of editing and culling. But when i went to develop a bit pictures a bit more seriously i plug my external screen.

Back