Laptop

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
My wife has made two executive decisions.

1. We must spend time together in the same room and,
2. I cannot bring the PC into the living room.

Therefore can anyone advise what laptop I can buy to host Elements 9 without grinding to a halt carrying out minor post processing.

In terms of budget, ive just ordered a Neewer 35mm manual lens for my Sony a6000 :D

Cheers
Alan

Ex business ultrabooks I use. Dell latitude, hp elitebook, Lenovo thinkpads.

If you want a high end laptop the Dell XPS15 series are excellent but possibly above your budget. The Dell Factory Outlet has laptops for good prices.

Last edited:
Those Dell ones look reasonably priced too with i7 processor at £691.
Food for thought.

Thanks.

Don't need to spend that much.

I had a £140 used ex business Dell latitude E6230 with SSD drive and 8gb RAM that runs lightroom and photoshop perfectly fine.

I have not had a single PC part fail in my life and they are on 24 / 7 with me and been using them for over 20 years.

They are so reliable there is no point spending a fortune on a new one.

The first thing I'd look for is something with a high resolution. Editing photos on anything below 1080p is a real pain.

Most i5 processors will cope with light editing easily enough. Though be prepared for longer than normal loads for more intense effects. My surface book is ideal and I'd recommend a surface pro too. Using the pen on screen helps so much when editing photos.

I like the look of this Surface Pro.
As its a lower spec do you think I would have issues with speed using Elements 9??

New Microsoft Surface Pro Tablet, Intel Core m3, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 12.3" Touchscreen

LR and PS don't actually need a high power computer, they work fine on my core-m Macbook.

What you do want though, is a high resolution screen and I would go as far to say that 1080 is not enough so whatever you buy, if it's for photo editing, prioritise screen resolution over anything else.

I like the look of this Surface Pro.
As its a lower spec do you think I would have issues with speed using Elements 9??

New Microsoft Surface Pro Tablet, Intel Core m3, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 12.3" Touchscreen

TBH 4GB RAM is a little low for my liking, 8GB is what you want but otherwise a SP4 is a pretty good choice.

Last edited:
I still use my very old but also 100% reliable Dell laptop when going away. It's only got a T5500 processor and 2GB of ram but the ssd drive I put in it makes it far better than before. It's also got an Nvidia graphics card.

I would like more ram, 4GB would probably make a good difference but I don't think it can take more. Could do with 1080p also but for all the times I use it I can't really justify upgrading. Exporting out of Lightroom is quite slow.

If I didn't have a fast desktop I would probably be looking at a new laptop though, i5 with ssd and at least 8GB of ram.

I've had dual core processors and 4gb of RAM that run CS6 and LR6 with no problems. Unless you are doing a huge amount of layers or massive panoramas, or both, I would say any i5 + 4-8gb of RAM could handle pretty much anything. Best to look for a good screen at whatever size you want, and then work the rest of the spec into the budget you have imho.

Some good used i5 and i7 laptops on Gumtree. I'd always budget for a replacement battery if going used though.

The surface pro tablets can be expensive new, though they can be picked up a lot cheaper used. Usually with type keyboard and pen included.

The high res screen is really nice to use too.

Back