Large Format photography group - From "zero to hero!"

I have one, but haven't used it for developing film. And don't ask what I do use it for - that's too personal a question...

Apologies for the frivolity, I'm not enjoying not being out with a camera. The situation with the MOD 54 was that I tried it with a sheet of film I keep for testing etc. After loading the sheet, I tried it out in a Paterson tank using water, because I was concerned that the sheet didn't seem too well secured. I'll admit that I used more agitation than I normally would, but the end result was that it lifted out of the grooves. Probably it would be OK with normal usage, but I didn't care to try it.

In fairness, this was the mod 1 MOD54, and it has been changed.

If you'd like mine, which I won't use (CombiPlan tanks work well for me, and I also have Jobo reels for 5x4 and a Paterson Orbital) PM your address and it's yours to try out.

Edit to add two words to the last sentence "and keep"

Last edited:
Thanks chaps, appreciate the comments. So essentially, they’re ok, just don’t agitate like a monster. Got it.
Very kind of you to offer Stephen, I’d be very grateful to try it! Naturally do wait until all of this has blown over!

I used the MOD54 briefly and had chunks missing out of the emulsion from the arms. It was a "seconds" MOD54 insert so I don't know if the problem would occur with a "perfect" example. I changed to the SP-445 and haven't had any problems with it, except some leakage - I put duct tape over the lid to keep it in place.

Thanks for the info Kevin :)

On reflection, did you use quite heavy agitation, or did it occur regardless?

By contrast, I have nothing by problems with the (Mk 1) SP-445 inserts. Seems there is never a perfect soltution :(

I've not had any problems with the newer SP-445 inserts including using some pretty thin film stock. Maybe worth seeing if they'd sell you just the inserts?

BristolCamers sell just the inserts, but I've just sold my SP-445 to moomike!

Excellent opportunity to support the economy and buy another? :D

For completeness I had a jobo 2500 system tank and hand rolled the tank. This got old very quickly and you had to adjust your times for continuous agitation,

Are these the new inserts?

I'm not 100% sure to be honest chap. The picture certainly looks different to the mk 1 versions that I butchered. I'm not up to speed on how many versions they released over time, but if it's only two, these definitely do not look like the ones I had from the original kickstarter.

I'm not 100% sure to be honest chap. The picture certainly looks different to the mk 1 versions that I butchered. I'm not up to speed on how many versions they released over time, but if it's only two, these definitely do not look like the ones I had from the original kickstarter.
Thanks Woodsy

Afternoobs all!

So I was wondering if any of you good people use a mod54 for your sheet developing? Since trying to mod my SP-445 film inserts and failing hard, I've gone back to the taco method. I'm finding of late that I getting rub marks on the rear (non-emulsion) side which won't come off. As such, I was wondering about the mod54. It's a bit on the pricey side of things, but if it works well, I can see myself justifying the money in time. What have been your collective experiances with the mod54?

Many thanks!
I have a mod54, great for everything except RPX, that stuff is just too thin. My preferred holder is the 20th century cameras one, no problems with that at all

PSX_20200406_174925.jpg

Morning, large format folk!

Due to the kindness of strangers, @StephenM is posting me his Wista 45 for me to try before I comit to buying something which I am extremely grateful for. Of course, I was weighing up all my 4x5 options with the Chroma, the Intredpid or indeed a Wista, being seduced by the wood and brass combination so being able to try something first is very helpful. Also worth noting is that I would love to support one of the small businesses and buy brand new and have access to parts and support in the future so it isn't off the table. My other train of thought however is to go for the Intrepid 10x8 to shoot wet plate as I feel 10x8 film with develop and scan is prohibitively expensive at the moment when I can dev 4x5 myself (also being loaned a Mod54 and I have a V700).

Last night I put my film order in for 25 sheets of Ilford HP5 and a box of 10 Ektachrome 100. I am usually a colour negative kinda guy but I have fancied shooting slide for a while now so figured I'd just go all in. The only thing I am a little sad about is that I will only be able to shoot things at home for the forseeable.

Let's see what happens.

The only thing I am a little sad about is that I will only be able to shoot things at home for the forseeable.

Let's see what happens.
Plus points are that you won't have accidentally left something at home, no-one will wander into the frame just as the light is perfect, and there will always be a handy clean/dry surface to sit your dark slide down on. Enjoy! :D

Plus points are that you won't have accidentally left something at home, no-one will wander into the frame just as the light is perfect, and there will always be a handy clean/dry surface to sit your dark slide down on. Enjoy! :D

I'm ready for it! Ha.

Arrived this morning as did my HP5 and Ektachrome. The good thing is, we have enough light for 100 speed film, even at F5.6...the bad news is I am confined to the house and garden with it. The camera looks lovely, I just need to load some film now as well as get hold of a loupe.

Afternoobs all!

So I was wondering if any of you good people use a mod54 for your sheet developing? Since trying to mod my SP-445 film inserts and failing hard, I've gone back to the taco method. I'm finding of late that I getting rub marks on the rear (non-emulsion) side which won't come off. As such, I was wondering about the mod54. It's a bit on the pricey side of things, but if it works well, I can see myself justifying the money in time. What have been your collective experiances with the mod54?

Many thanks!
I have a Mod54 but always found it difficult to load, especially with six negatives, almost impossible, without the negatives popping out at some stage during the process. The other disadvantage, if you like, is that it uses a relatively large volume of meds developer. So the maximum number of negatives I would risk processing in the Mod54 would be four. I don't want you to think that the Mod54 is deficient but I found it a a bit challenging.

I first used my SP tank last Sunday, after a long delay since buying it, and found it much easier to use than the Mod54, especially the loading

My SP tank is a late version with modified film holders, maybe that's the answer, I don't know when you kitted up. The early film holders are not quite satisfactory, but it hasn't been a issue with me, so I've heard.

I have an idea! Swap you your SP, and bits, for a Mod54 version one insert plus a Patterson tank with cash adjustment. I think, on balance, I would owe you something. PM me if you are interested.

Last edited:
I have a mod54, great for everything except RPX, that stuff is just too thin. My preferred holder is the 20th century cameras one, no problems with that at all

Great stuff, thanks Karl :)

I have a Mod54 but always found it difficult to load, especially with six negatives, almost impossible, without the negatives popping out at some stage during the process. The other disadvantage, if you like, is that it uses a relatively large volume of meds developer. So the maximum number of negatives I would risk processing in the Mod54 would be four. I don't want you to think that the Mod54 is deficient but I found it a a bit challenging.

I first used my SP tank last Sunday, after a long delay since buying it, and found it much easier to use than the Mod54, especially the loading

My SP tank is a late version with modified film holders, maybe that's the answer, I don't know when you kitted up. The early film holders are not quite satisfactory, but it hasn't been a issue with me, so I've heard.

I have an idea! Swap you your SP, and bits, for a Mod54 version one insert plus a Patterson tank with cash adjustment. I think, on balance, I would owe you something. PM me if you are interested.

Appreciate the info and the offer, however @StephenM has very kindly offered to send me a mod54. I'll give this as comprehensive a try as one can during these times, and see where I want to go from there.

Thanks again all!

Appreciate the info and the offer, however @StephenM has very kindly offered to send me a mod54. I'll give this as comprehensive a try as one can during these times, and see where I want to go from there.

Thanks again all!

In the mod54 As you put the curve in to each sheet and put it into its slot, make sure it in the right slot and make sure the bottom corners have not caught up on the top/bottom of the frame. Once you have 3 sheets on a side, carefully and lightly run a finger down the sides to feel for the 3 sheets being separated from each other. Other than that it's a good holder

Stephen has sent me a MOD45 also so this is good advice, thank you.

Haven’t shot the Wista yet but I have had a good fiddle with it to familiarise myself. Can’t wait to shoot something with it. a little worried about my changing bag being too small, although I think I acquired a larger one with my darkroom equipment so I’ll try and find that first.

Stephen has sent me a MOD45 also so this is good advice, thank you.

Haven’t shot the Wista yet but I have had a good fiddle with it to familiarise myself. Can’t wait to shoot something with it. a little worried about my changing bag being too small, although I think I acquired a larger one with my darkroom equipment so I’ll try and find that first.

What size do you have at present? I think my darkbag is only about 60cm x 60cm, which does fine even when loading a peterson tank, or multiple DDS film holders.

What size do you have at present? I think my darkbag is only about 60cm x 60cm, which does fine even when loading a peterson tank, or multiple DDS film holders.

No idea! Ha. All developing stuff has been away since moving house in December. I will dig it out later today as I am working from home today. It gives plenty room for loading the tank with 120 and 35mm, though so will be ok if I am organised, I think.

Where is this Chris, I can't place it.

Farleton fell, or more precisely Newbiggin Crags with Warton Crag in the distance at the left

So then, large format collective, talk to me about making ones own ground glass. I've just watched a youtube video and it seems fairly straight forward, but has anyone actually made their own? If so, do you have any pointers, recommended do's and don't's, etc?

Also, there's glass and there's glass. Is it important to get the right type, or is this unimportant as long as it's transparent (before grinding)? Further, for a project I'm working on, I'd rather make some than buy some, so does anyone have an SiC powder they could perhaps donate in exchange for a hug and a beer or three (in no particular order)?

Edit: Ok, forget the donation, the SiC powder is uber cheap on the bay :)

Last edited:
Coincidentally enough I had a mess around with a scrap of picture glass and wet-n-dry a couple of weeks ago. Nothing unexpected to report really, it proved that my glass wasn't absolutely flat because part was less "ground" than the rest, which really indicates you do need to work though a few grits. Also I had a few bigger scratches, obviously things weren't totally free of larger particles. I was only trying with a two inch square and I ground it only on 1200 grit for 5 mins at most. It proved to me that it was perfectly possible without too much effort by hand.

I'd have though @stevelmx5 would have researched this fairly thoroughly...

...and come to the conclusion that it’s much simpler paying someone else to make them [emoji23]

Virgis makes all of my ground glass;

http://vist.lt/glass.html

I’d definitely recommend him to others. I’ve had 200 ground glass off him so far, and no issues [emoji1303]

...and come to the conclusion that it’s much simpler paying someone else to make them [emoji23]

Virgis makes all of my ground glass;

http://vist.lt/glass.html

I’d definitely recommend him to others. I’ve had 200 ground glass off him so far, and no issues [emoji1303]

Great stuff, I'll get in touch. Is he open to single unit orders, or does he prefer bulk quantities?

Just a heads-up for any LF user who may be interested, Ffordes have a Paterson Orbital for sale as linked below. You'd need to make sure it has the red pegs for separating the sheets, as they're important. https://www.ffordes.com/p/SOR-18-031121/darkroom-equipment/orbital-print-processor

That’s a steal!!
I paid more than double for mine.

If it wasn’t for already having two, I’d snap this up.

Even without pegs it’s good to go for 10x8 and making some golf T type pegs can’t be so difficult

That is a good price, even if it hasnt got the pegs, they can be replaced with cut down golf tees.

You know summat given how they’re no longer produced, I could be tempted......

Their Website doesn’t show international postage though [emoji45]

Back