Lastolite HiLite Help

I approached the original supplier as lastolite asked me to do. They have said the product is out of warranty but that they will approach lastolite UK for help.

This thread has evolved a lot more than I anticipated when i opened it but for anyone interested....Its good news!! My 6' by 7' Hilite arrived today. The bas news is the lighting kit didn't so I have to wait that little bit longer. Once i get it all up and running ill let you know how i get on.

One question do i really need a light meter?

Frey said:
This thread has evolved a lot more than I anticipated when i opened it but for anyone interested....Its good news!! My 6' by 7' Hilite arrived today. The bas news is the lighting kit didn't so I have to wait that little bit longer. Once i get it all up and running ill let you know how i get on.

One question do i really need a light meter?

You don't 'need' one but it will make getting the correct lighting set up quicker and easier. I don't use one with my hilite and after using it a few times you soon get a feel for the amount of power needed.

^ more good examples of using a HiLite! Well done Chubster!

I caved in earlier today, and ordered a 6 x 7 with train and flash meter.. And it's only a hobby.. People think I'm mad, but I don't spend money on booze or fags, and just think, I can save £60 a year on school photo's!!! ;)

lol, just ordered one myself, never even thought of saving cash on school photos - I may make it a mini project to try and recreate the last school photos.

Frey said:
having my hilite ready to go i wonder do I need the lights snide the hilite to flash or be permanently on?

You need you insert the heads with the reflectors on, into the hilite, pointing to the back of it... You can leave the modelling light on if you want, no harm there.

Wouldn't recommend leaving modelling light on. I had someone fall backwards into the hi-lite at one events. Everything collapsed down fine, but the modelling light burnt a hole in the Hi-lite.

Wouldn't recommend leaving modelling light on. I had someone fall backwards into the hi-lite at one events. Everything collapsed down fine, but the modelling light burnt a hole in the Hi-lite.

Been using mine for years with the modelling light on - never been an issue.
Mostly I have a reflector attached to the light though - Helps to control the eveness so there's never an opportunity for the modelling lamp to touch the sides.

boyfalldown said:
the amount of heat they generate means you're asking for a melted hi lite if you accidently touch a side

That's why you need to use a suitable reflector... I've never had an issue. But that's my experience with them.

That's why you need to use a suitable reflector... I've never had an issue. But that's my experience with them.

;) its always been something that worries me with them, regardless of reflector. That amount of heat in a nicely meltable bit of pvc/pollyeurathane

As an aside, why do you want to use a modelling light in one?

boyfalldown said:
;) its always been something that worries me with them, regardless of reflector. That amount of heat in a nicely meltable bit of pvc/pollyeurathane

Understandable worry. :) I suppose technically, there is no need to use your modelling light in a hilite... It's not going to be effective in its original purpose of demonstrating where your shadows will fall. Personally, I prefer to use them, if only for a bit of extra illumination for the room I use. It's certainly not required. I was merely saying that to use them in the hilite, correctly positioned, with a suitable reflector, should pose no problem. However continuous lighting, tungsten or fluorescent is a definite no no.

That's why professional kit is built to a higher standard than ebay stuff. The material of the Lastolite Hilight will not melt - I've used with and without a reflector.

The material dies melt! I bought one on behalf of my local camera club and it went on loan to someone who didn't use a reflector, left the modelling light on and zipped it up against the bulb - not only melted the material but burnt the zip away.

EOS_JD said:
That's why professional kit is built to a higher standard than ebay stuff. The material of the Lastolite Hilight will not melt - I've used with and without a reflector.

Pro kit still melts :). Not sure why the reference to ebay stuff? we were specifically talking about the hilite which doesn't have magically different physical properties :).

BTW lastolite say it will. http://www.lastolite.com/qanda-hilite.php.

Last edited:
Pro kit still melts :). Not sure why the reference to ebay stuff? we were specifically talking about the hilite which doesn't have magically different physical properties :).

Have to agree with you there, it will melt/burn if given the right conditions...(ie. unit touching the light) Hot surface + man made materials = fire hazard.

Just that many may have a similar unit to the Hilight bought on ebay (I know many used to buy a similar unit on here). But specifically in relation to the Lastiolite hilight I did say I've been using it for years (pretty much since it came out) with my Elinchrom 400BX then 500BXRi heads and never a hint of a problem (with or without a reflector)

Lastolite says
"Is it possible to use continuous lighting in the HiLite?
No we do not recommend this. The heat that continuous lights generate may actually cause damage to the HiLite or even a fire."

Continuous lighting is different to that of the light from a modelling lamp in a strobe. The heat generated by these continuous lights is many times greater than the heat from a low powered modelling lamps in a strobes. Yes they're hot but not to the same degree. Sure if you use them incorrectly you could cause an issue but in proper normal use with strobes it will not be a problem.

Last edited:
Iv got the opportunity to buy a cheap lighting set which includes 3 heads all 150watt each. Is 150 watt sufficient to run the last ire and get decent quality photographs?

For most home portraiture, yes.

EOS_JD said:
Continuous lighting is different to that of the light from a modelling lamp in a strobe. The heat generated by these continuous lights is many times greater than the heat from a low powered modelling lamps in a strobes. Yes they're hot but not to the same degree. Sure if you use them incorrectly you could cause an issue but in proper normal use with strobes it will not be a problem.

Have you tried touching a modelling bulb after it's been on for a while? I've seen an Elinchrom protective end cap melted in the middle after someone put the cap on shortly after it had been turned off following a studio shoot with the modelling light on! Modelling bulbs do get hot enough to melt plastic & materials and can cause fires.

Have you tried touching a modelling bulb after it's been on for a while? I've seen an Elinchrom protective end cap melted in the middle after someone put the cap on shortly after it had been turned off following a studio shoot with the modelling light on! Modelling bulbs do get hot enough to melt plastic & materials and can cause fires.

LOL, time to own up, I left the cap on one my recently acquired Lastolite Lumen8's.. after 10 mins the modelling bulb had melted the cap to the point part of it had touched the bulb...

GyNE2.jpg

Luckily no damage, and a new cap was only £4..

Yes it's hot - very hot - but used correctly it won't be a problem - however continuous lighting is much hotter!

Yes it's hot - very hot - but used correctly it won't be a problem - however continuous lighting is much hotter!

I'm sure its just each to their own, I'd rather not have a modelling light, and the risks that even done properly that entails (Even if they're perceived risks). Others are fine with it.Either way is cool

Yes lastolite material and zip will melt if it touches the modelling light. I know this cos mine did !

If there is a reflector protecting the material then it will be OK depending on the head design. Mine are fan cooled which also keeps the reflector cooler. But other non fan cooled lights may allow the reflector to get too hot.

Hi, hope you don't mind me asking a question, but I got mine yesterday (no time to play yet), but when I put it up I noted it sags quite a bit at the top.

What's the best way to deal with that?

What size have you got? 8x7? If so, that's what the 5th rod is for...

I'm sure its just each to their own, I'd rather not have a modelling light, and the risks that even done properly that entails (Even if they're perceived risks). Others are fine with it.Either way is cool

Yes I agree - I don't need the light on and had never thought to turn it off lol (would save a bit on electricity) (y)

Hi, hope you don't mind me asking a question, but I got mine yesterday (no time to play yet), but when I put it up I noted it sags quite a bit at the top.

What's the best way to deal with that?

There should be very little sag, if it is new contact seller for replacement

Its used, but looking at an official image its a bit little worse than this, but I've not put in a light yet - which I'm told will help bring it back out.

Is it up the long way on the floor? My 6x7 doesn't sag much at all.

I'll try and get an image tomorrow\later, but no - sat on the floor.

Edit: Added image - only the usual four bars inserted.

121011_0731.jpg

Last edited:
I have just got mine (used 6x7) and did notice a wee bit of sag in the middle, worst case you can get spare rods here ...
http://www.spaphoto.co.uk/acatalog/Lastolite_Spares.html
and put an extra rod at the top as you would with the 8x7 version. £25 for 4, handy to have anyway.

I have no affiliation with the above site, first place I came across when googling for a spare carry bag.

Nice Kevin (y)
My bag's on its last legs I think :D

Hi all,

An update regarding my sagging backdrop.

Well I contacted Beth at Manfrotto Lighting (via Lasolite's site) and she has been helpful beyond words, not only giving some valuable advice but also offering to take a look it it herself and replace the steel if needed.

In the end I twisted the steel back round the other way - it looks like at some point it got twisted round and incorrectly fixed by the previous owner, anyway this is how it now :)

121011_0732.jpg

Again I cannot thank Beth enough especially as she knows its a second hand unit!

Edit: I forgot to mention she's sent me a link to the manual (as I didn't have it) and is sending out an extra rod to help out - again top help

Last edited:
In the end I twisted the steel back round the other way - it looks like at some point it got twisted round and incorrectly fixed by the previous owner, anyway this is how it now :)

Yes sometimes the steel inside can get twisted whilst collapsing and putting it a way in the bag, (if done wrong) however it looks like you've managed to untwist it ok, their is a YouTube video of how to untwist it HERE it looks more like it should in your photo now, you will always get a bit of sag on top, particularly with the largest size, once the floor is attached to the bottom, that normally stops the sag there :)

Back