weekly LC2's 52 for 2015 Thread - Week 52 : Christmas

hi Tim

I like this one. At first I thought a square crop might have looked better, but I think the oval shape works well with the rectangle. Nicely lit too :)

Well, it certainly implies a lot of water. Nicely exposed.

Thank you all for your comments. I didn't think this was one of my most imaginative shots, but yes, I think it was on subject hopefully.
Now to try to get something done for Bold !

I'm not sure about the crop you've chosen, but the idea works well the way the outer ones go oof. I would have maybe tried putting the boxes in a triangular formation so the boxes go further back from the central one. Just might have made things a lil bit more interesting :)

That old Bold soap powder is getting around a bit. Sturisoma is right, the Bold doesn't stick out as boldly as it could.

Yes, I do see what you both mean.
It was supposed to imitate a focus target and hence the bold being in focus in the middle, but bold would have stood out better at the front.

You might be interested (you might not) to know that the total length of the focus target was only just over 300mm.
The crop was overly tight to remove distracting shadows.

Week 8 - Better late than never: Relax

It's taken a week to capture one of the cats asleep somewhere non distracting, so I guess this is more of a 'taken' photo than a 'made' photo.

Cropped to the Rule of Thirds and to remove distractions. Shadows lightened slightly and the yellow channel saturation raised a little.
Taken with an 1100D and a Tamron 18-200 as that's what was to hand - I didn't want to clomp around and wake her.
Flash bounced off of the ceiling to provide lighting.

Relax
by timz2011, on Flickr

Cats certainly do seem to be the order of the week, they do make challenging subjects too. I read somewhere once that "a dog will come when called, a cat will take a message and get back to you later" Having owned a few over the years I would definitely agree.

Anyway back on topic. I quite like the composition and she definitely looks relaxed, so on theme there. As to critique, I know you have raised the shadows, but it stills looks under exposed to me, it would be nice to see more detail especially in her face as you can only really make out the one eye. It may be worth dialling in a spot of exposure compensation. It also looks a little too orange, so possibly dial back the saturation

...so on theme there. As to critique, I know you have raised the shadows, but it stills looks under exposed to me, it would be nice to see more detail especially in her face as you can only really make out the one eye. It may be worth dialling in a spot of exposure compensation. It also looks a little too orange, so possibly dial back the saturation

I didn't think to change the capture to raw :( I'm afraid that the black patch on her back only recovers to noise, she is very black though, so I don't think it detracts (too much). The black patch over her right eye does do a very good job of hiding her eye. We'll often look at her and wonder what's up as it looks like her eye is half closed compared to her right eye, and then realise it's just the black patch / shadows.

I've dialled back the yellow saturation a little, I see what you mean.

Relax 2
by timz2011, on Flickr

Hi, nice image for relax though a little dark and I am not sure about the colour of the cat but only you will know wether its a good representation
certainly says relax

Vertical...

A quick trip to Osterley House today resulted in these two

I was originally thinking of the Vertical Pillars at the entrance to the house.
This was deliberately taken at an angle with only the middle pillars absolutely vertical due to perspective.

Osterley House
by timz2011, on Flickr

Once there, the Clock Tower on the Stable's (okay, the Tea Room) roof also struck me as particularly vertical and I think the sky came out better as the sun was behind me and not to the side.

Osterley House Stables Clock Tower
by timz2011, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Tim

Relax - cats do seem to be very good at this relaxing don't they. Great fit for the theme, maybe a little too dark as others have said.

Vertical - both on them, but I prefer # 1

Hi, Time, I like the shadows in #1. Wonderful building, for me, though, I'd prefer a front on composition to emphasis the verticals.

Cheers.

Tim I really like the first image, great shadows and what an amazing looking building :)

I am on a bit of a comments catch up........

Bold - I have to agree with others I don't think its a bold as it could be.

Relax - fits the theme, crit wise I feel the cat looks a bit dark in colour.

Vertical - first image for me like the vertical pillars.

Working from a different office this week, not far from Trafalgar Square.
The 4th Plinth was changed on Thursday, so I trotted down there on Friday to take this.

Never look a gift (skeletal) horse in the Mouth !

4thPlinth
by timz2011, on Flickr

Taken using an old Lumiz TZ8 that lives in my bag, possibly not the sharpest shot ever but then I've not likely to have a DSLR with me while at work, so "the best camera you have is the one you have with you" ;)

Hi Tim

Relax - cats do seem to be very good at this relaxing don't they. Great fit for the theme, maybe a little too dark as others have said.

Vertical - both on them, but I prefer # 1
She's asleep on my bed again now, and in sunlight she is less dark. I don't think that the shot is too bad a representation of how she looked at the time though as the colours of the walls and ceiling do tend to make the room and everything in it slightly dark.

Hi, Time, I like the shadows in #1. Wonderful building, for me, though, I'd prefer a front on composition to emphasis the verticals.

Cheers.
Hi Tim

Out of you 2 vertical shots, number 1 for me.
As pointed out i also think a central PoV could have been better, but that would have depended on the location of the sun..
I took some straight on, but somehow they just felt bland / dull, perhaps the size of the house removing the emphasis on the pillars. I'm afraid I've deleted them now :/

Tim I really like the first image, great shadows and what an amazing looking building :)
Thanks. It's one of those buildings you just take for granted as it's been there all my life. Getting the camera out on this challenge makes you look at things anew.

I am on a bit of a comments catch up........

Bold - I have to agree with others I don't think its a bold as it could be.

Relax - fits the theme, crit wise I feel the cat looks a bit dark in colour.

Vertical - first image for me like the vertical pillars.

Thanks, it seems the general consensus is that the house is the better image, and I think I have to agree.

With regards to "BOLD", would people be suprised that these were the props?
View attachment 32208

Last edited:
Love the idea of using a proverb as an idea for a photo. Looks fine to me. As you say best camera is the one you have with you. Love the blue of the sky with just a hint of cloud. Actually been a beautiful day today even if a bit windy.

Yes nice one Tim, would also be nice to see the whole Gift Horse sculpture but I guess you were concentrating on the mouth. ;)

I too have a Lumiz TZ8 ... nifty little things.

Hi, well done for not getting any distraction in the BG, not sure if I want to see the whole thing or maybe a closer view of its head

Wow! You're on the ball this week Tim - and I really like the interpretation.

Nice clean background, lovely contrast and depth to the sculpture.
I'd really have liked to see a closer crop of just the head and neck though.

BTW Is it just me or does that little wisp of cloud look like steam snorting from his nostrils?

:agree: a closer crop would make it even more on theme but I am also left wondering i would like to see a wider shot of the whole statue.

Love the idea of using a proverb as an idea for a photo. Looks fine to me. As you say best camera is the one you have with you. Love the blue of the sky with just a hint of cloud. Actually been a beautiful day today even if a bit windy.
Nice interpretation Tim and well spotted (y)
Thanks - I think it worked quite wel too :)

Yes nice one Tim, would also be nice to see the whole Gift Horse sculpture but I guess you were concentrating on the mouth. ;)

I too have a Lumiz TZ8 ... nifty little things.
Handy little compacts, aren't they.

Hi, well done for not getting any distraction in the BG, not sure if I want to see the whole thing or maybe a closer view of its head

Wow! You're on the ball this week Tim - and I really like the interpretation.

Nice clean background, lovely contrast and depth to the sculpture.
I'd really have liked to see a closer crop of just the head and neck though.

BTW Is it just me or does that little wisp of cloud look like steam snorting from his nostrils?
:agree: a closer crop would make it even more on theme but I am also left wondering i would like to see a wider shot of the whole statue.

@d00d @alsjazzera @sr1867 - Here is the original uncropped image. I don't think the full image has the impact that the cropped version does though.

4thPlinth_uncropped
by timz2011, on Flickr

@alsjazzera @SarahLee @sr1867 - I did take a few closer cropped images to at the time, but felt that whilst they did concentrate on the mouth more, they lost impact

@SarahLee - No it's not just you, I thought exactly the same :)

Cheers Tim. Agree the closer crop works best. It was just my curious side that wanted to see the whole thing (y). Guess i could have just googled it really ;)

Mouth - Nice take on the theme, I quite like it. Cleverly composed against a nice sky. Not sure what the names are all about though, personally a little distracting. Nice shot though :)

Reactions: LC2
What a fantastic piece of sculpture.

For the theme I might have concentrated on the head, but thanks for also posting the whole thing.

Hi Tim,

Mouth - good fit for the them, well spotted. I think the cropped shot's the stronger of the two as the mouth's more prominent :)

Two this week...

More Crowded than Crowd, but I liked the colours:

37 Rescue
by timz2011, on Flickr
This shot is deliberately close cropped to give that Crowded feel.

A Crowd of TOGs (one for the spotted a Tog thread too perhaps) shooting 37 324 at Ropley early Saturday morning

Crowd
by timz2011, on Flickr

It seems that @SarahLee did choose a subject allowing me to photograph 37 324 ;)
It's a shame that the light was so flat yesterday.

Last edited:
Of the two, I prefer the engines "crowding" each other.
A different take on the theme, it works well IMO :)

I too prefer the two trains picture it is a bit of a shame about the flats in the background as they detract somewhat from the image.

2 nice pics for the theme. Somehow I don't think there would have been a theme that was going to stop you posting what you wanted to this week ;)
#1 has it for my vote aswell

@sr1867 :) I think you may be right.
@michael23 I was deliberately not making a thing of the loco (whilst including it) - Also cropping in around the 'crowd' trying to make 5 people look like a crowd.
@ShinySideUp Yes, on reflection, it would have been better to blur the background, but that was f4, would f2.8 have created bokeh? I dunno.
@d00d @Cobra Thanks for your comments. I too prefer the two loco shot (I felt I shuld include the other one as it was a more conventional Crowd shot though).

Hi Number ! for me the angle and the BG of the second just not working for me

Back