Lee filters Digital starter pack - Good idea?

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been looking at spending some chrimbo money on Lee filters. I am looking at the Digital Starter pack

http://www.leefilters.com/camera/products/range/ref:I46CBFACFBD385/

Would this be a good way to start my filter journey? Ireally do want the Lee filters. So would I be better getting seperate bits? If so, what exactly would I need to get the whole lot safely mounted on my 17-55?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sara,

As far as I understand, Lee are pretty much the best you can get. If you have the money, then go for it.

A lot of people recommend Hitech ones which are supposed to be excellent for the price.

I am afraid I have no experience of either sets (although am looking to get some Hitech ones soon) so I am sure someone will post something more useful in a bit. Just wanted to give you that option.

http://www.teamworkphoto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78_767_277&products_id=10288

Hope it helps,

Marco

Sara,

I have the starter kit, with the proglass 2 stop ND and 2 stop hard grad and are super quality.

Never used the hitech filter system, but figured if I use the best quality L glass then I may as well use the best filters.

You'll save a little bit of money by buying the kit itself and are "buy once" accessories, unless of course you severely scratch them.

I think they're expensive but well worth the money :)

I bought the Lee filter holder system with the wide angle adapter, its probably one of the best you can get......but expensive. As for filters I went with the Hitech ones and I have to say they are excellent too and only half the price of the Lee ones. Now if you were going for glass filters then I might have to say go for the Lee ones, but if your just buying resin then I'd go for Hitech.

Simon.

PS. I only shoot with Canon L glass too.

Mmm...

This is very interesting as I`m just about to get some filters too.

I`m thinking on the lee filter holder and wide angle adapter but was also thinking about the lee filters as opposed to Hitech.

Must have a look at these Hitech`s as that`s quite a few people that have given them the (y) now...

And there is quite a price difference too. :)

With Lee a lot of folks assume because its the most expensive it's also the best. Nice marketing trick if you could pull it off - anyone up for a blind test? :)

We are talking about a bit of transparent plastic here folks - as long as it doesn't have a colour cast (ie Cokin) you can spent much more frugally.

So if I don't go for the starter pack - What exactly will I need for my 17-55? Also what's better, glass or resin? Some are hard, some are soft :help:

Some are hard, some are soft

This refers to the graduation - ie is is an abrubt transistion from dark to light, or gradual, I find the gradual ie soft much more useful.

Personally I'd get a 2 stop (0.6) and 3 stop (0.9) soft grad pair.

A 0.6 is most useful in most cases I find. You don't need a set. Get a Cokin or Kood adapter and a 77mm "P" ring as well.

With Lee a lot of folks assume because its the most expensive it's also the best. Nice marketing trick if you could pull it off - anyone up for a blind test? :)

We are talking about a bit of transparent plastic here folks - as long as it doesn't have a colour cast (ie Cokin) you can spent much more frugally.

I went for lee not because of the filter, but because the holder is just so much better built. I had a cokin holder before I needed ultra wide and it always felt really flimsy. The lee holder is so well built in comparison.

I'm yet to try any other manufacturers filters, but I have always had incredibly good results from my lee set.

A wide angle adaptor ring just gets the filter rig closer to your front element. I doubt youy would need this for 17mm shots. When I shot at 10mm on a 20D I needed it (Just)

I went for lee not because of the filter, but because the holder is just so much better built.

Ditto. It's beautiful... with it's little brass inserts and hardware. Again, I use hitech filters and would stringly recommend buying from Teamwork. They've offered superb customer service every time, and I shall be getting a 105mm polarizer from them in the next couple of weeks.

Personally, I'd buy wide angle adapters regardless. That way if you ever have a wide angle lens of that diameter, your holder will be fine. From what i remember they're no more expensive than the standard ones, so seems an obvious choice to me.

I wouldn't pay £40 for something like that when you can Blutack a filter to a lens, or handhold it for nowt (a lot of folks just handhold a filter), or use a £5 Kood.

Get a Cokin wide angle adaptor, it'll cost you between £5 and £10 and its all you need. The Kood rings cost £2.99 from 7DayShop.

IMHO (and I shoot a lot of landscape), this below is all you need for starters - and it'll all cost less than the £40 holder all in..:LOL::nuts:

DSC_0392-web.jpg

Sorry to resurrect this but am just about to order the suggested items by Andy (the adapter ring and wide angle holder) but have 2 quick questions

Firstly the wide angle holder says stops vignetting down to 20mm but I have a 10-20mm which I assumed the WA holder would be OK with? Is this an error on the description or do I need something different?

Also the Cokin filters are still quite expensive and I have seen a lot of folks recommend the hitech ones but will these fit in the above holder?

Thanks in advance for any advice before I spend more cash :crying:

Hitech come in 85mm or 100mm.

I would suspect the 20mm reference is for FF cameras, so a 10-20 goes as short as 16mm meaning you might get slight vignetting from 10-13

Hitech come in 85mm or 100mm.

I would suspect the 20mm reference is for FF cameras, so a 10-20 goes as short as 16mm meaning you might get slight vignetting from 10-13

OK thanks so looks like either the 85mm Hitech or possibly the Kood P filters would be a good fit for the Cokin holder?

Anyone recommend best place to buy this combo of bits from as Dovercourt who I had managed to find the holder and adaptor rings seem to have the worst website in the world which just freezes every time you add things to your cart :shrug:

Personally I have the Lee Starter kit, and the quality is amazing. I am with Puddleduck though that if you can get Lee quality (and it is quality) for less (which apparently HiTech is) then go for it.

As long as you stay away from the french :razz: rubbish [rotten swear filter] (colour casts heaven) then you'll do OK.

Personally I have the Lee Starter kit, and the quality is amazing. I am with Puddleduck though that if you can get Lee quality (and it is quality) for less (which apparently HiTech is) then go for it.

As long as you stay away from the french :razz: rubbish [rotten swear filter] (colour casts heaven) then you'll do OK.

Cheers, have gone for a set of 3 ND Grads and single ND 0.9 Hitech all in at £53 and will see how they turn out (y)

Have to say very impressed with service from dovercourt (web site must have been playing silly wotsits for a while) who I ordered from at 2.30pm yesterday, dispatched 3.00pm and at my door this morning with the holder and adapters, also teamwork ordered at 11pm last night and dispatched this morning at 9.30!!!!

Great to see companies demonstrating this level of customer service for once!

Back