Lens Camo or Not?

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, Just bought a Sigma 150-500mm as a starter lens into bird photography and would like to ask is it worth buying a lens camo taking into consideration it is a lens with an extending barrel and of course also black in colour.
Thankyou. Russ

No not really ,on a large zoom it will obstruct movement ,and birds react more to fast movement than anything else

would like to ask is it worth buying a lens camo taking into consideration it is a lens with an extending barrel and of course also black in colour.

Since long lenses are used mainly in the open, I would says yes.
Because the lens is black, it absorbs a lot of heat & because you
will use it outside and it is not "IF", it is more exposed to dust and
polen and drizzle etc, A coat will — in all cases — protect it but it
doesn't have to be of camo pattern.

Last edited:
Not sure it's worth it on a black lens, on a white one I'd say yes, I shoot from hides quite a lot and I am forever bashing lenses
so I think they are worthwhile to protect the lens from damage.

Definitely worthwhile as regards protection for the lens from all the little bumps and scrapes you will accrue if you have not got one fitted. All the bumps and scrapes it gathers will also effect any future trade in values.

Definitely worthwhile as regards protection for the lens from all the little bumps and scrapes you will accrue if you have not got one fitted. All the bumps and scrapes it gathers will also effect any future trade in values.

A couple of years ago I bought a new Nikon 300mm prime f2.8 lens and the first thing I did was to add the camo bands. Not so much as lens camouflage but more to protect the lens, although the lens took a few small knocks during the time I had it, there were no marks at all when the camo bands came off.

The same as the above, I have the Sigma 150-600C and put the neoprene covers on it to protect it from getting bashed in hides. They happen to be cammo but hey, why not? I don't have all the bits on. The bit that fits round the lens foot isn't on because I move the foot around depending on how I'm using the lens (and tbh I couldn't work out how it went on), and that part of the lens isn't going to get knocked. I also don't bother with the wrap around extension, but if I was going to sit in a hide for a long period of time with the zoom extended I probably would use it. It's always in my rucksack. I don't often use the lens out of a hide as I can't hand hold it.

Back