Beginner Lens connection

Name
Greig
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok so I’m just getting into photography and bought myself a canon eos 1100d. Now I bought myself a telephoto lens from eBay that connects to my camera but I’m trying to find a auto teleplus lens to connect to it as the 3x that’s currently on it doesn’t support autofocus, aperture changes etc. I’ve attached a photo of the connection so any information would be very much appreciated.

thanks,

greig

If pic 1 and 3 are the lens , you won’t get any autofocus or anything electrical as there are no contacts on it to provide that information to the camera.
The aperture is controlled by the small lever by the made in Japan text. There is no electrical connection to it for the camera to change it via the body. It will be controlled by the aperture ring on the lens.

Thanks for getting back to me. I knew that I wouldn’t be able to get the lens itself to autofocus but I have been looking at either adapters or potentially a 1x lens to go between that I could at least select the aperture using the camera settings? If I knew the connection type I could research more but I can’t seem to find what type of connection it has.

The lens you have bought was not designed to work with your camera, even if you're able to mount it - with the tag that sticks up with the slot down the middle, it looks to me like that lens is actually a Nikon F mount.

If I knew the connection type I could research more but I can’t seem to find what type of connection it has.

No in-body control of that lens will be possible, you can see printed on the lens mount N-F in the last picture = Nikon F mount.

Sorry Greig - not good news. Anyway, welcome to TP. :)

Last edited:
There are any number of cheap Canon EOS EF or EF-S lenses on ebay that will work properly with your camera, for little more than the price of an adapter to make a Nikon mount lens fit that won't autofocus or respond to in-camera controls and needs to be used with awkward stop-down metering.

Last edited:
And just to clarify, what does it say on the front of your lens?

The lens you have bought was not designed to work with your camera, even if you're able to mount it - with the tag that sticks up with the slot down the middle, it looks to me like that lens is actually a Nikon F mount.

No in-body control of that lens will be possible, you can see printed on the lens mount N-F in the last picture = Nikon F mount.

Sorry Greig - not good news. Anyway, welcome to TP. :)
Ah that makes sense thank you for getting back to me :)

Many older Tamron lenses have mounts that can be removed and replaced. They went through various sytems over the years - T-mount, Adaptamatic, Adaptall and Adaptall-2:

You may be able to find EOS EF mounts for some of these (probably Adaptall-2 and T mount), which is a bit more elegant than using a Nikon F to EOS adapter, but still leaves you with a manual lens with stop down metering. And it looks like you also have a teleconverter, which complicates things further.

Back