lens extender compatibility on RF mount

Name
bradley
Edit My Images
Yes
I have an EOS R with the RF mount on the body and was wondering if I could use Canons 1.4x or 2x extender to place in-between the lens and the EF adapter?? has anybody done this and does it work with autofocus? if not does it still work with manual focusing?
I want to use Canons mki 100-400mm with the extender followed by the EF adapter followed by the body...

Fron what I've read - indeed it works well because It doesn't slow down the AF at all. I'm still waiting on a 1.4x converter, so if it turns up somehow I will let you know. I' sure others will advise in the meantime!

Bradley,

Your post intrigued me and I’ve recently bought an RP so thought I’d have a play this morning. I used the Canon 500mm f4 and 1.4 II and 2x II extenders. I have the Control Ring EF-RF adapter.

Long and the short of it is the extenders work with the adapters and do so better than on my 1DxII, presumably due to the Dual Pixel AF.

500 + 1.4x - All AF points and IS work. This I expected and would have been disappointed if it didn’t.
500 + 2x - Same results however slower AF
500 + 1.4x and 2x - Same results as with 2x however the aperture reported is f8 and not f11 as is the case. On my 1DxII this combo just hunts and doesn’t achieve focus.

I regularly use the 500 with the 1.4 but never the 2x. The 2x was bought for putting on my 70-200 f2.8 when I travel.

I hope this is of some use and if not I found it a fun exercise

Neil

HI Neil

Just thought I'd ask - is this the Canon converter or a third party converter? I'm still waiting on mine, but it's a third party kenko one I believe

Thanks

Canon mark 2s which I think are the only ones that stack.

I reckon your Kenko will be fine too. No reason in my mind why it shouldn’t. If it works on EF it should work on RF.

I have an EOS R with the RF mount on the body and was wondering if I could use Canons 1.4x or 2x extender to place in-between the lens and the EF adapter?? has anybody done this and does it work with autofocus? if not does it still work with manual focusing?
I want to use Canons mki 100-400mm with the extender followed by the EF adapter followed by the body...

.... I have done lots of shots with the EOS-R + Control-ring EF Adapter + 1.4x III + EF 100-400mm L II and all very successfully < Check out my Flickr pages, I don't hide the data.

I have also shot lots of images on the EOS-R with other EF L lenses : 500mm, 100mm, 24-70mm.

But I would very very strongly advise that your Canon Extenders are version III. Otherwise you compromise what the electronic communications are able to offer.

Hi Robin,

Can you expand on this please?

But I would very very strongly advise that your Canon Extenders are version III. Otherwise you compromise what the electronic communications are able to offer.

I know from your posts on the forum that you are someone who does their research and knows their kit. In fact the reason I bought the control ring adapter was because of your recommendation in the EOS R thread.

When the mark III extenders were released I looked at replacing my 1.4 mark II but reviews (and Canon) said that they were optimised for the newer mark II lenses ie not my 500 f4. There was only a small optical improvement so I decided to keep my mark II as the cost at release of the mark III was steep. Things have moved on, costs have reduced and my mark II is starting to show its age so I may replace it which is why I’m curious about what I may be missing out on with the mark II vs the mark III.

Thanks,

Neil

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/r.htm

Holy cow! The Canon EOS R works fantastically with teleconverters and the EF Lens Adapters, with fast, full-frame autofocus with my 100‑400L IS II and even when used with both my 1.4x and 2x converters at the same time! That's a 280‑1,120mm f/12.6‑16 equivalent, easily hand-holdable!

This is because the AF sensors are on the image sensor, not buried deep inside a DSLR, so they see what the sensor sees and just work. With a DSLR, only the center AF sensor works at all with the 2x converter, and there is no AF on a DSLR when using both converters at the same time with the 100-400.

The one gotcha has always been that while the EOS R easily records the lens and teleconverter used, and reports the true f/stop and effective focal lengths with teleconverters, when you use the 1.4x and 2x converters at the same time it only calculates the effects of the 2x converter - but the pictures still look great and AF is still fast and sure.

Using the EOS R with teleconverters completely changes the rulebook; they work great with no slowing of AF performance from what I can see; I get better AF performance on the EOS R with converters than I ever do on DSLRs without TCs because DSLRs can never focus out to the edges!

As said they will be the MK2

Hi Robin,

Can you expand on this please?

I know from your posts on the forum that you are someone who does their research and knows their kit. In fact the reason I bought the control ring adapter was because of your recommendation in the EOS R thread.

When the mark III extenders were released I looked at replacing my 1.4 mark II but reviews (and Canon) said that they were optimised for the newer mark II lenses ie not my 500 f4. There was only a small optical improvement so I decided to keep my mark II as the cost at release of the mark III was steep. Things have moved on, costs have reduced and my mark II is starting to show its age so I may replace it which is why I’m curious about what I may be missing out on with the mark II vs the mark III.

Thanks,
Neil

.... Hi Neil, when I was sat with someone in a hide who had an EF 100-400mm L II + 1.4x II + 7D-2, he had AF problems which didn't happen when we tried my 1.4x III on his rig. It was 3 years ago and in Bulgaria and so I don't remember any more nor have contact with him. But subsequently I have read that version III works best on that v II lens. Likewise with the 500mm F/4L II which I understand Canon designed the version III Extenders for. The 2x III worked beautifully on my EF 500mm II.

IIRC there's info out there on the internet about the Extender II and III differences.

Any Extender most definitely slows down AF but it's not necessarily a problem.

Back