Lens help for wildlife

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, new to this forum so forgive me if this has been asked many times.
Right at the moment I'm using the base Nikon d3200 but looking to get a d7200, the question is what zoom lens to get?
I've looked at Nikon 80-400mm vr
Nikon 200-500mm
Nikon 70-300mm vr
Sigma 150-500mm
Sigma and Tamron 150-600mm
Have people got any views on these?
Don't have the money for the top beasts.
Will be shooting birds and birds in flight, otters, deer, seals.
Thanks sean

I dont think you can go far wrong with either the Sigma 150-600 or the Bigron! Both get stellar reviews and are a bargain for the $$$$

Hi, thanks guys. The only other lens that comes to mind is the Nikon 300mm f4 together with a Tc-14

No experiance with either the sigma or tamron but I have the Nikon 200-500 lens and would recommend to anyone.

Defo need to invest in one of these to get close bird shots like that.

I have the Tamron 150-600 and can wholeheartedly recommend it. That being said if I was to buy now I'd buy the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary as it is the same price, pretty much same IQ but you can use the dock with it. The Nikon 200-500 is a nice lens, but heavier and pricier than the Tamron and Sigma, has less reach and no better IQ at the long end.

The big Tamron and Sigma really are bargains, but don't expect autofocus miracles for birds in flight. There's nothing wrong with these lenses -it's just that f6.3 at the long end isn't an awful lot of light, and a lot of cameras (including the 3200) aren't designed to autofocus at 6.3 at all.
I haven't used the Sigma, but the Tamron is cracking for the money.

The big Tamron and Sigma really are bargains, but don't expect autofocus miracles for birds in flight. There's nothing wrong with these lenses -it's just that f6.3 at the long end isn't an awful lot of light, and a lot of cameras (including the 3200) aren't designed to autofocus at 6.3 at all.
I haven't used the Sigma, but the Tamron is cracking for the money.
That's a good point actually, although the OP did say they might be getting a D7200 and I've used my Tamron on my mate's D7200 without any problems.

Yeah they're fudged so that they work on f5.6 bodies. I think the 7200 works at f8 centre spot as well.

As well as the d7200 I've been looking at some FF bodies like the d610 800/810 if I can find a good priced second hand one. Maybe even the d750

As well as the d7200 I've been looking at some FF bodies like the d610 800/810 if I can find a good priced second hand one. Maybe even the d750
I'd suggest getting hands on with each and seeing which you're most comfortable with. I have the D750 and recently wanted to upgrade to the D810 but when I tried it I found the grip uncomfortable and so sticking with the D750. Also, consider which lenses you have and what you will buy in the future. DX lenses are not designed for FF bodies and will show severe vignetting.

Yeah need to get into one of the shops and have a feel thanks

For the money, the tamron is great, it's what I have.
I also have a 300mm f4 afs (no vr) with 1.4 tc.
Both could be had used for the price of a new 200-500 (nearly).
I use a tripod or monopod most of the time.
Body is a d7200, have others though.

I use a D7200 with the Sigma 150-600c and love it! Really pleased with the results so far (could be better, but that is the shooter not the equipment :) ). I have just posted a thread in the bird section with some shots in there - including birds in flight. All hand-held which I am pleased to be able to do with the lens as it isn't as heavy as some of the other long-reachers.

Back