LENS is spelt LENS!

What about its plural?

Lens' or Lenses?

I have seen both forms on this forum.

It is lenses King_Boru

Lens' would be belonging to the lens as in "This is the lens' cap"

As for the other side of the coin re bad spelling, I believe that spelling mistakes should not be allowed to pass without comment (that's comment not mockery). If we allow mistakes to perpetuate they become the norm. What people who don't know better see in print they believe to be correct and how can they ever learn if no one makes the effort to point out the mistakes?

should there not have been an 's' on your domain "contain"

Ha ha! That'll teach me for trying to do something remotely connected with photography in Photoshop whilst trying to enforce the Queen's English ...... ;)

I shouldn't worry about posting mistakes peeps.

I do it all the time, mostly because I think quicker than my pudgy little digits move over the keyboard.

Maybe I sjhould leave all my typo errors in over the next few days so you can all have a laugh at my terrible typing.

I don;t think Grendel meant to insult or upset anyone with this thread. It's more a damming iunditement of the stae of education these dyas.

I agree with you Dino. Not much chance of ever getting to a thousand posts now. :shake:

Pah, both of you get spammin'.

Any problems, you just let ole Marcel know, and I'll sort em out :bat:

I know, was just commenting on the spelling mistakes which are present at times.

Oh well, it made me feel better typing it out anyway :)

I just think this is a futile argument. Language changes, it evolves, just go with it, in 100 years you won't care anyway ;)

Perhaps we should return to "old" English, after all it was here first, we're only working with the current variant of English. I can just see them sitting round the pub table, complaining about all the changes being brought in by the yoof of today.

http://www.nosweatshakespeare.com/shakespeare_old_english.htm

And I like lens, it looks better. :LOL:

Has anybody noticed how much the spelling and grammar has improved on all the other threads since this one started?

Alot :bang: :bang: This is lazy grammar and does my head in.

The correct spelling is; A lot, and I'm dyslexic.

So I saw this too late and it serves no purpose to open some more cans...

While we are on this topic, however, there are a few points I would like to raise:

First, the use of the word "just".

I do not just think this is a good idea...

I did just return from an overseas visit.

JUST DENOTES TIME!

Secondly, splitting infinitives is beginning to actually infuriate me!!

Thirdly, the use of the phrase "I have got..."
If got is the past tense for get then surely these two words do not belong next to each other?

O.K. soapbox stowed away in broom closet...

First, the use of the word "just".

I do not just think this is a good idea...

I did just return from an overseas visit.

JUST DENOTES TIME!

Not really sure what your point is here Anton?? :thinking:

You must be pulling the p**s, right?

Here goes any way...

The word "just" has the (rather antiquated) meaning of fairness or otherwise is used to describe an event which JUST happened.

Just can not and should never be used as a replacement for "simply".

Consider the following: It is simple to clean a sensor. Just remove the lens and give it a good wipe...:puke:

You must be pulling the p**s, right?

Here goes any way...

The word "just" has the (rather antiquated) meaning of fairness or otherwise is used to describe an event which JUST happened.

Just can not and should never be used as a replacement for "simply".

Consider the following: It is simple to clean a sensor. Just remove the lens and give it a good wipe...:puke:

BUT saying that I just cleaned the sensor (if indeed this happened very recently) would be correct use of the word just.

Extracted from http://www.blogs.english4today.com/?p=56

Just to keep you thinking - ‘just‘ can also be used to mean ‘ the only reason‘. For example, ‘I just called to say I love you’ could also mean ‘ the only reason I called was to say I love you’.

Well if nothing else this thread has given me an english lesson or two. lol

I have read this thread from beginning to end, i'm afraid one word was constantly springing to mind...

pe·dan·tic

–adjective
1. ostentatious in one's learning.
2. overly concerned with minute details or formalisms.

On an open internet forum with contributions from all walks of life, do people really expect everyone to have perfect literary skills? :shrug:

Now where did I put that flame retardent suit?? :runaway:

Now where did I put that flame retardent suit?? :runaway:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

You are right in the sense that this (posting on a net forum)should be enjoyment rather than an exercise in perfect language skills.

Problem is that this modern trend of netspeak is eroding at the (already precarious) language skills.

The scary reality is that people do not read printed text anymore and thus cannot appreciate good and bad grammar if it bit them on the behind.

Even (infinitely) more scary is the sentiment that this is all modern progress:bonk:

Don your fire suit!
:D

a)
the bit that I find scary is posts along the lines of
"I just dun a fotografers corse and i want too bee a profesional'

If you want to make a business out of your art - you do need to learn basic spelling
Some people are turned off my this lack of attention to detail

b)
one or our number uses the txt abbreviation "imgo"
can't work out if this is one I don't know
or a mis-spelt one that i do noe IMHO !!!

c)
apostrophe anyone? :naughty:

Just accept it and move on. :p

Just to annoy the pedantic people here, here's lens! :)

(I haven't read page 2 and 3, so I don't know what else can annoy people.)

one or our number uses the txt abbreviation "imgo"
can't work out if this is one I don't know
or a mis-spelt one that i do noe IMHO !!!

ah you'll be refering to our most esteemed green member Venomator. IMGO is an abbreviation of "in my green opinion", I believe :LOL:

ah you'll be refering to our most esteemed green member Venomator. IMGO is an abbreviation of "in my green opinion", I believe :LOL:

Thanks for clearing that one up Grendel:D

now why didn't I think of that? :bonk:

So I saw this too late and it serves no purpose to open some more cans...

While we are on this topic, however, there are a few points I would like to raise:

Secondly, splitting infinitives is beginning to actually infuriate me!!

You are having a laugh here aren't you? ;)

The inifinitive, "to infuriate" has just been split by "actually" ...... :bat:

In all seriousness, there is a great deal to be learned from all this seeming pedantry and the point has been made quite eloquently by mmcp42

How would these words be interpreted?

"I wanna became a perfessionel fotografer, how'd I go about it innit?".......

Will not endear themselves to any prospective employer.....

After much joking there is a very serious set of impications......

You are having a laugh here aren't you? ;)

The inifinitive, "to infuriate" has just been split by "actually" ...... :bat:

Yes and no:LOL:

I wrote it that way because I was not going to take bets on how many people actually know what a split infinitive is!:bang:

There are not many mistakes in the English language that irritate me more than this one.

At first I wanted to take DF to task as I did not agree with his sentiments in this thread but then decided against it.

I simply find it very sad when people cannot use language properly and do not seem to give a flying *%^#$@ about it either:(

It's the unintentional ones which are the best :D

Ha ha :LOL: Never saw that, no time for proof-reading .... I'm supposed to be working!

Well spotted..... and I don't think it could have occurred with a more apposite word! :clap:

That's the exception that proves the rule!

Note.... in all it's (the dictionary's) subsequent definitions it resorts to having to use the correct word, LENS

lens is an ancient term which post-dates the original term for 'focussing glass' ~ Venetian, from whence they where originally produced.

It's a bit like "Ye Olde Worlde Shoppe"

:rules:

Was that deliberate?:LOL:

Hey.... I never, ever declared myself as being perfect! ..... (So, was it deliberate? :shrug:) :naughty:

4 pages and 116 posts later are we agreed at least on the correct way to spell lens/lens. :bang: :bonk:

:LOL: :LOL:

yeah, it's Lens :D

:cautious: ... Is there a valid excuse for how oversights happen to witness even the best of us make mistakes Barry ... :shrug:

It happens ... and possibly a little too frequently in this fast moving, fast lane, high flying life we all lead ... :thinking: ... and not to question how many of us are that good at typing, or so good at spell checking, we manage to say what we mean with the correct terminology/spelling/grammar everytime because we have so much time on our hands to go over everything we type with a fine toothcomb to ensure it is absolutely 100% error free and perfect every time !

Why everyone here is making so much damn fuss about it beggars belief ... imgo ... :shrug: ... to err, after all is human ... tolerance, it seems, is not ... ;)

:D

08.gif

:agree:

Gonna go an take som photographs wiv my camra now :D

Back