Lens not delivered but has been signed for at my address.

Edit My Images
Yes
Have a problem and just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue.

Brought a lens from a know ebay retailer who sent it via Royal Mail SD with tracking numer. Waited for the lens to arrive but never turned up, checked the tracking status and its says the lens has been delivered and signed for at my address. But I had been at home all day and not heard the doorbell go off and certainly not signed for anything so I don’t know who could have. Checked with neighbours and they haven’t got it.

Contacted the seller who has gone silent, to be fair it’s not his fault as he trusted Royal Mail to deliver the lens.

What are my options, is it my word against Royal Mails?

I'm a Postie, we always enter the name of the person that's going to sign into our PDA and then the customer signs for the item. Is there a name on the tracking site? (I'm presuming that there should be, although I've never actually checked myself).

I'm a Postie, we always enter the name of the person that's going to sign into our PDA and then the customer signs for the item. Is there a name on the tracking site? (I'm presuming that there should be, although I've never actually checked myself).

No name, just a scrawl.

Open a case with eBay/Paypal as a start?

This is going to be my last resort. Unfortunately the evidence is against me. The tracking details say it's been delivered to my address with a signature.

Checked the signature and it was signed for, just not my signature or my wife's!

Yep, had my full address which makes this all very puzzling.

What I was kind of getting to was that if its signed for you have proof its not you. You have bank cards right for each occupier of the house? They have your signatures on. Other than that Im not sure. Technically anyone could have been outside and scrawled for it.

Last edited:
Generally not an issue with Royal mail, but I've had this with other couriers, dodgy scribble then product left outside or not at all

Open a case with eBay/Paypal as a start?

They will find in favour of the seller as the tracking shows delivered. As far as eBay is concerned if it is "delivered" then its the buyers responsibility to take it up with RM.

Contact your local delivery office, I've had a similar situation once, they asked the postie directly who cleared the situation up. Problem solved within a few hours of me contacting them.

We had a similar problem once and someone in the upstairs office had signed for it and the postie remember when I asked him. Hopefully it will get sorted, I would be interested in eBay / Paypal's view on this though

Contact your local delivery office, I've had a similar situation once, they asked the postie directly who cleared the situation up. Problem solved within a few hours of me contacting them.

This is certainly worth a shot, if you have a regular postie it's pretty sure he/she will remember the item.

Contacted the seller and he is contacting Royal Mail, should hear back in 48hrs.

Generally not an issue with Royal mail, but I've had this with other couriers, dodgy scribble then product left outside or not at all

Unfortunately having the hosue decorated which means I have loads of rubbish on the drive way, will have a rummage around tonight!

Contacted the seller and he is contacting Royal Mail, should hear back in 48hrs.

Unfortunately having the hosue decorated which means I have loads of rubbish on the drive way, will have a rummage around tonight!

Would the decorator perhaps have signed for it?

I had the same with a royal mail delivery I sent to my son claimed it was signed for the signature was nothing like and there was no one at home all day. ......................unfortunately whoever signed the pda was a liar ...........that said my posties here are good.........It took several weeks before we got to a point that they checked who did what as my son didnt realise I had sent it and the system made us wait then the local office replied ........we cant remember what happened ..........

Last edited:
Before Christmas I had a parcel that took me 2 days to find. I had the delivery note posted through my door saying it had been delivered, I looked up the tracking, it said surname: street and a signature. It took me 2 days until a neighbour two doors up came round saying it was left outside on his doorstep! Turns out Street wasn't the surname, more that it had been left somewhere in my street and the postie did a scribble signature. Our local postie is very good, it was Christmas so agency staff were out.

The only thing to do is to wait for the seller to get information from Royal Mail.

We had a similar problem once and someone in the upstairs office had signed for it and the postie remember when I asked him. Hopefully it will get sorted, I would be interested in eBay / Paypal's view on this though
That has happened in my wife's office

3 times now I have had the postman deliver someone else mail to me, right house number, just the wrong street

I recently bought a laptop from Amazon. I saw the van slow down and pull up outside so I went to the door. By the time I got there he had driven off. I received a 'delivered' notification to say that it had been delivered to 'Claire at house 5'. There's no Claire' at number five, and there's no laptop there either.

Amazon got a replacement to me four days later after a UK based 'agent' got involved (as opposed to a US based agent).

'Claire at house 5' is in possession of a £1100 laptop. Or could it be a delivery driver is in possession of a £1100 laptop...?

Last edited:
Considering how little self employed delivery drivers are paid I'm not surprised stuff is stolen. 60p a package for
Yodel ones.

Considering how little self employed delivery drivers are paid I'm not surprised stuff is stolen. 60p a package for
Yodel ones.

That's crazy, especially for drivers in rural areas. The Yodel depot is at least an hour from me on a good day and I know we're near the start of many couriers rounds for this area, the area they cover is huge, and some of the driveways take a good 5 minutes to drive up here!

Just before Christmas, my son's fiancée was here at home with us, waiting for her Mum's present to be delivered to our address. She had been tracking the package (a courier and not RM) and she noticed that they'd updated the status to 'not delivered, no one home' and had also uploaded a photo of the property. It was obviously a photo taken from inside the van, showing a hedge and some newish looking houses behind it. It certainly wasn't a photo of our lane! Anyway, she rang the courier service and gave them a right rollocking, not long afterwards the courier arrived with the parcel. I think that some courier drivers are under so much pressure to get to destinations by a specified time, that sometimes it's easier for them just to say that no one was home and carry on elsewhere.

Our posties are pretty good.

Hermes are the absolute pants - if I'm forewarned that they're the carrier, I don't buy the item.

With people like DHL you can track your delivery on-line in real time, complete with map & eta.

I sometimes ask couriers what sort of day they're having, and they generally seem happy enough. Not Hermes, though - you'd be hard-pushed to find one to ask (many amusing videos on youtube).

Hermes are the absolute pants - if I'm forewarned that they're the carrier, I don't buy the item.

With people like DHL you can track your delivery on-line in real time, complete with map & eta.

To be fair, I just bought an item and (unknowingly) MyHermes is the courier.
It has tracking which shows it was delivered to the collection point on Monday ... and it's still there today, Wednesday! :(

Back