Lens not lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
:LOL: lol. I voiced this niggle a while ago. Provoked quite a response ;)

LINKY

:)

We've had 'spelling' threads before hereabouts & on other forums, and the consensus seems to be that it doesn't matter

Actually, it does annoy me too

Odd then that the andrewc spells 'Fortunatley' incorrectly

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

You have to be whiter than white to complain of others' spellings mate!

And when you are, the Grammar-Police will get you instead for such as starting a sentence with 'And'... :nono::nono::nono:

DD

I see you spotted my deliberate mistake. ;)

A quick typo is slightly different to those people who repeatedly use the term lens - maybe three or four times in the same message.

True - but it was funny anyway

My favourite gripes though are the wrong form of words used, as in...

It was there's - and - Your wrong - and - I borrowed him my camera

And these are very common on chat forums & MSN it seems. Is it lazy? The ongoing development of our language? Or just a downward spiral into 'Who cares'?

:shrug::shrug::shrug:

DD

While we're on the subject, it's bought not bRought!

A common one up here in Norfolk is "that learnt him" :)

I realise any language evolves, but I would hope it evolves to a higher form of the language. Maybe it has reached the peak? It started with grunting, and as far as I can see, is heading back that way.

don't start me off...

" I went down to Jessops and brought myself a new lens"

aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Brilliant! Love it! Excellent!! I always correct people on their spelling - I get all OCD about it :LOL: It's like people with bad teeth or dirty shoes - I can't help but stare and get all sweaty under the collar!!! :LOL:

my sig from elsewhere...

Whilst you're crawling along to the Nürburgring in your Saxo where you hope to race, wearing out the ozone layer, they're flying there in their Learjet, proceeding to down too many glasses of champagne from its galley and commenting "Look down there, it's a skip on wheels!!"

Covers most things I think!

B.

Not the dreaded ' anywhere near an S please!

God but that one gets annoying !!!

:LOL:

Had a client recently called Mr & Mrs Wells sent to me for a photo, the referrer's letter said...

Please can you take a photograph of Mr & Mrs Well's

WTF ???

Oh no - text-speak too

aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh

DD

What's with Merkins and their lens aperAtures?

A quick typo is slightly different to those people who repeatedly use the term lens - maybe three or four times in the same message.

Absolutely. Typos are forgivable. Poor spelling (e.g. writing loose when they mean lose) or even worse, "text" (mis)spelling (I've seen "no" used a lot recently instead of "know") is unforgivable.

I've found this trend increasingly on some of the model sites. If I see that either someone can't be arsed to check a spelling or is too thick to realise they've made a mistake then how can I trust them to get from A to B for a shoot? Being dyslexic isn’t an excuse – how much effort is it to write a post in Word and then spell check before cutting and pasting?

Conclusion, if you want to be taken seriously, learn to spell and check your work.

Here is one to watch out for, people often use Wether, Whether and Weather interchangeably.

Read this sentence and then read definitions below...

"I'm not sure if I'll go out tomorrow, it depends on the wether!"

weather noun the atmospheric conditions in any area at any time, with regard to sun, cloud, temperature, wind and rain, etc. adj, especially naut on the side exposed to the wind. verb (weathered, weathering) 1 tr & intr to expose or be exposed to the effects of wind, Sun and rain, etc; to alter or be altered in colour, texture and shape, etc through such exposure. 2 to come safely through (a storm or difficult situation). 3 naut to get to the windward side of (a headland, etc). 4 archit to set or slope (a roof or surface, etc) to keep the rain out. weathered adj. keep a weather eye open to keep alert for developments. make heavy weather of something to make its progress unnecessarily slow and difficult. under the weather colloq not in good health; slightly unwell.
ETYMOLOGY: Anglo-Saxon weder.

whether conj 1 used to introduce an indirect question • asked whether it was raining. 2 used to introduce an indirect question involving alternative possibilities • was uncertain whether he liked her or not. 3 (also whether or no or not) used to state the certainty of something, whichever of two circumstances applies • promised to marry her, whether or not his parents agreed • the rules, whether fair or unfair, are not our concern.
ETYMOLOGY: Anglo-Saxon hwæther.

wether noun a castrated ram.
ETYMOLOGY: Anglo-Saxon.

:LOL:

I've read and re-read Tony's post and its just dawned on me - who gives a stuff!

Communication isn't about how it's spelt or what grammar is used it's about the getting the meaning across!

Lesson learned, cap off!

This is just a bashing thread and mods should close it now!!

you should ALL be ashamed!!

Typos are fine.. Bad spelling is... what was that ??????????????? lets meet up on a meet and you can tell me what you think of bad spelling!!!!!

I struggle with it... always have...

Now pack it in, it does'nt make you any better that anyone else, but you are sounding like an elitist bunch of... well, use your superior imagination...

It always amuses me the way we lose patience with foreigners not grasping the english language. When really most of the population does not have a clue either. I don't pretend to be perfect but there are certain things that really get to me. Working in techinal support i see some fantastic notes on faults.

why should it 'get to you'??

Just get on with it Mr perfect!! theres enough crap going on to occupy your HUGE brain!!!

Be happy to be Amused by it... its FREE after all...

Folks, I'm sorry, but I've seen these threads cause nothing but trouble on a lot of boards, and I don't really see what we're going to achieve with this. If people have gone through the education system and not got to grips with spelling, we're not going to change anything here are we, and it isn't our job to tackle the problem.

I'm sure we have lots of valued contributers who struggle with their spelling, and posts like this will only make them reluctant to post.

Spelling mistakes are forgivable. Laziness in typing is a whole new ball game IMO.

It does highlight a growing problem with our society today though. More and more people do struggle with their spelling for one reason or another.

To be honest, some spelling mistakes do annoy me. I can't help that. I don't think less of the person, but certain ones do nark me a little. Like theyre their and there, or of/have (should of) is a personal bugbear. I don't think I'm perfect, but I do think *some* people should make more of an effort to learn their own native language.

I'm not talking about those who naturally struggle with spelling. I'm talking about the ones who don't bother learning or at least trying to learn.

There's nothing wrong with being annoyed at other peoples lack of effort, just like there's nothing wrong with having a valid excuse or reason for not having a perfect vocabulary.

The thing is we all need to learn to play nicely together, that's what being in a society is all about ;)

Thats all well and good.. but this thread was starting to become a bashing and a **** take of people that cant spell!! i also understand theres a difference in being lazy and having trouble but how can you tell the difference!! you cant! so these lovely people are just taking the ****!! thinking they are sooo Superior to those that cant spell so well..

My spelling isnt the greatest.. and to be honest i have to think quite hard about a lot of words i write!! if fact i oftenhave to re-arrange the whole structure of a sentance because of a word i cant spell!! Its a REAL pain!! But everyone LOVES to have a laugh at our expense!! its not on!!

Come and take the **** out of me to my face.. and we'll see whose the highest on the food chain!!!

Im a reasonably intelligent person.. i can and HAVE had to use my little piece of grey matter to solve problems of a life or death matter on hundreds of occasions!! i have planned and executed things that would make you defficate yourself!! things that have given my nightmares over the last 15 years!! THICK people dont get to that position! I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SPELLING, But im no better than you and im no worse than you... but you think you're better than us!!

A bugbear eh!!! GET A LIFE!!! and grow up!!

I kinda don't mind anymore on forums/MSN - but when written to for business purposes and they get it totally wrong - it annoys the Hell out of me

I also get quite a few CV's coming my way, and although none of them currently get anywhere - I must admit to only replying, and offering help/advice, to the ones well written

If we're annoyed by spellings/grammar on TP though, I think we're worrying too much

Get a life

Go shoot something !!!

DD

Thats all well and good.. but this thread was starting to become a bashing and a **** take of people that cant spell!! i also understand theres a difference in being lazy and having trouble but how can you tell the difference!! you cant! so these lovely people are just taking the ****!! thinking they are sooo Superior to those that cant spell so well..

My spelling isnt the greatest.. and to be honest i have to think quite hard about a lot of words i write!! if fact i oftenhave to re-arrange the whole structure of a sentance because of a word i cant spell!! Its a REAL pain!! But everyone LOVES to have a laugh at our expense!! its not on!!

Come and take the **** out of me to my face.. and we'll see whose the highest on the food chain!!!

Im a reasonably intelligent person.. i can and HAVE had to use my little piece of grey matter to solve problems of a life or death matter on hundreds of occasions!! i have planned and executed things that would make you defficate yourself!! things that have given my nightmares over the last 15 years!! THICK people dont get to that position! I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SPELLING, But im no better than you and im no worse than you... but you think you're better than us!!

A bugbear eh!!! GET A LIFE!!! and grow up!!

Frag - you remind me with this post of a great mate of mine - salt of the Earth chap - can't spell/write for tuppence

Fab bloke, great person and great tog too - perhaps this thread is ***** after all

Thanks for that - let's get 'real' as they say

DD

Thanks for that Dave, You have actually pointed out one way to spot the difference between someone that has a problem and someone that does'nt care..

Due to an Injury recieved a few years ago iv been undergoing surgery.. unfortunatly its left me worse that before!! anyway, im now unable to do my job and have to look for another job.. This has made me take stock of things in my life and think very seriously about what i have to offer an employer.. My spelling is a BIG problem at the moment!! its the one thing that can stop me from doing the jobs i should now be looking for.. So its a BIG thing for me right now, i think im a little OVER sensitive about the issue and i think i should appologise for ranting..

Sorry...

Dont take me saying Sorry as a weakness though!!! :nono:

Thanks for that Dave, You have actually pointed out one way to spot the difference between someone that has a problem and someone that does'nt care..

Due to an Injury recieved a few years ago iv been undergoing surgery.. unfortunatly its left me worse that before!! anyway, im now unable to do my job and have to look for another job.. This has made me take stock of things in my life and think very seriously about what i have to offer an employer.. My spelling is a BIG problem at the moment!! its the one thing that can stop me from doing the jobs i should now be looking for.. So its a BIG thing for me right now, i think im a little OVER sensitive about the issue and i think i should appologise for ranting..

Sorry...

Dont take me saying Sorry as a weakness though!!! :nono:

As a potential employer we need something to start the elimination process with, but while spelling/grammar was a good indicator in my previous career - you're right in that it has sod-all to do with the creative side of what photography is all about

A short add-on letter explaining this (as your comment above) and I'd ignore it as a potential for a 'dismiss-list' as I know people with such problems. Had I not known my mate though, it's easy - too easy??? - to be dismissive though of ability judged by such as spellings or grammar alone

Photographing people - as I do with kids or weddings - is about people skills and empathy - it doesn't matter if you can't spell 'empathy' so long as you have it

Thanks for reminding me of what's important Frag

DD

fraggle, your situation is a perfect example of why people should be less judgmental, and you're right, maybe we should all remember that the spelling doesnt maketh the man.

Nevertheless, however strongly you feel about it, getting so worked up about it so as to resort to threats of violence, really doesn't show you in a good light. It's good to see the other side of the coin to this discussion, but let's at least keep it calm :) No one is insulting you personally.

I hope my "Weather, Wether, Whether" post hasnt caused any offence, it certainly wasnt meant to, just highlighting a potentially humorous mispelling. Come on, admit it, the translation of "I'll go out tomorrow depending on the sheep with no balls!" has got to raise a giggle :D

Unfortunately employers do use spelling and grammar to weed people out, a mate of mine had trouble with it, now he's a senior design engineer for a very important company (cant mention names). Some of the emails I get from him I can only just decipher! But if this company had judged him on his spelling they would have lost out on one of their best engineers!

Fraggle, I have letters after my name after getting a degree in engineering, I'm a Manager of a software engineering firm, and I have to admit to also changing complete sentences due to not being able to find the right word!

There's really no excuse for bad spelling anywhere on the internet. I like to think I'm good at spelling but I still have problems with some less commonly used words, when I do I look them up, what could be easier? If you're not sure of a word, type it into Google, it's a great spell checker, if it thinks you've mispelled a word it asks you, did you mean xxx? and that's usually the right one.
I'm also a terrible typist so I read over what I'm going to post a couple of times to try and catch errors. I care enough to want to make sure that what I say in writing is clear and can be understood. DiddyDave it might not matter that a person can't spell empathy when they're taking someone's photograph, but it is important on a forum where they need to write it down.

/edit see I made a mistake!

When you have to check one or two words per sentance it can be a pain.. also, what if you didnt know you are spelling it wrong!! That to me at least IS and excuse for bad spelling!! i DO try and check my spelling, and it HAS improved, but for me to HAVE to spell check EVERY word im not sure about because YOU think i should is stupid and you know where you can put it!!!

You still dont get it!! taking the **** out of people because they have a problem with spelling is out of order!!

if there were disabled people here you wouldnt take the **** in front of em!! Or would you.. maybe there are a few on here that really ARE the superior twits they appere to be..

Btw i have qualifications in Engineering too.. not a degree.. but not a thicko...

Deep breath, deep breath.......................

One of my friends is very badly dyslexic, but she has a first class degree. That was done as an adult student after she was written off as being thick in school. She became terribly introverted by her experiences and writes about them most eloquently now.

I'm fortunate that my spelling is not too bad but I still have a little green button on my toolbar that allows me to spell check posts. I find it really useful.

The message from me is simple, a poor understanding of the written language does not make anyone thick.

A little understanding goes a long, long way .:)

You still dont get it!! taking the **** out of people because they have a problem with spelling is out of order!!

if there were disabled people here you wouldnt take the **** in front of em!! Or would you.. maybe there are a few on here that really ARE the superior twits they appere to be..

Btw i have qualifications in Engineering too.. not a degree.. but not a thicko...

Nowhere in this thread is anyone taking the **** out of anyone. What people are doing is expressing an opinion, something they should be allowed to do without being abused or threatened.

You must be reading a different thread to me then!! or maybe you're just so blind to the discrimination that maybe it's you we should be taking the **** out of.. have an opinion by all means, but if that opinion is offencive or degrading to someone that just CANT be perfect for you then maybe it should be kept to yourself.. or you can get all your mates with perfect english together on a 'spelling is easy' forum and sod off!!

We arnt all perfect.. although im trying to be but im in your shaddow here in the south..

I have just ordered a new lens.....

Bugs me too!

Whose the onese that spellse it like that ?

don't start me off...

" I went down to Jessops and brought myself a new lens"

aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Brilliant! Love it! Excellent!! I always correct people on their spelling - I get all OCD about it :LOL: It's like people with bad teeth or dirty shoes - I can't help but stare and get all sweaty under the collar!!! :LOL:

What's with Merkins and their lens aperAtures?

Not taking the **** eh!! come on... :bang:

Nowhere in this thread is anyone taking the **** out of anyone. What people are doing is expressing an opinion, something they should be allowed to do without being abused or threatened.

I think that people with strong accents should seen and not heard... Just an opinion! :shrug:

Thats just to make a point.. as i am a tolerent bloke.. if someone has a difficulty then i try and help em.. not riddicule them!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back