Lens Repair (Nottingham area)

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I've a serious problem with my new Canon 17 - 55 2.8 I bought off Ebay. Details below if anyone has any advice. In dispute with the seller (he's suggesting I have broken it after two days very light use; I'm suggesting he sold a faulty lens) but could well end up footing a repair bill - depending on what Ebay decides.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...s-major-lens-wobble-help.652389/#post-7808446

Does anyone know of any lens repair services in the Nottingham area? I don't want to send this item through the post if I can help it and I want to get it sorted as cheaply as possible as I've already dropped £350 on it. Hopefully this won't fall on me but I have a nasty feeling it will. Preparing myself for the worst.

Thanks

*I'll get back to banging my head against the wall and sobbing.

Means posting it, but Canon at Elstree have always proven to be reliable and have or at least had a one off charge for lens/camera repairs.

You might have just been unlucky and the seller was unaware of any fault especially after you said two days use.
I'm assuming from that it was ok to start with, bit like buying a used car that then has a random part fail.

Last edited:
I live in Chesterfield But had a repair done by Lehmann in Stoke on Trent did a great job and lucky for me was still under warranty ( 5D mirror dropping off) they new more about the extended warranty than Canon let on to.

I didnt mind the drive there and back.......

http://www.hlehmann.co.uk/

Thanks all. I have spoken with Hlehmann and they reckon it could be IS motor, Iris and or flexcircuit. Quoting £169 to fix... subject to inspection.

I'll wait and see what Ebay say re the dispute. I will be seriously cheesed off if I have to fork out for repairs. May as well have just bought a new one at this rate. Will never buy a lens from ebay again - especially not one with IS. Not worth the risk.

Thanks all. I have spoken with Hlehmann and they reckon it could be IS motor, Iris and or flexcircuit. Quoting £169 to fix... subject to inspection.

I'll wait and see what Ebay say re the dispute. I will be seriously cheesed off if I have to fork out for repairs. May as well have just bought a new one at this rate. Will never buy a lens from ebay again - especially not one with IS. Not worth the risk.

I reckon you'll get your money back. I bought a second hand car headunit some years ago (through eBay) - it didn't work but the seller said it was fine when sent, I had to start a dispute and got my money back. Sadly for me it wasted £140 labour fees getting it fitted and removed, unfortunately couldn't recover that cost. Don't spend anymore money on the lens until you hear from eBay

I won't just trying to prepare myself for what I could be facing. If I was the seller I'd claim that I broke it too... but I really didn't!

I would just suck it up and sent it to Canon in Elstree, that way you will get it back like new, guaranteed.

As opposed to a 3rd party fix which I wouldn't trust. I have send lenses such as the 35L to Elstree, it's not a problem, total safe.

Hello,

I've a serious problem with my new Canon 17 - 55 2.8 I bought off Ebay. Details below if anyone has any advice. In dispute with the seller (he's suggesting I have broken it after two days very light use; I'm suggesting he sold a faulty lens) but could well end up footing a repair bill - depending on what Ebay decides.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...s-major-lens-wobble-help.652389/#post-7808446

Does anyone know of any lens repair services in the Nottingham area? I don't want to send this item through the post if I can help it and I want to get it sorted as cheaply as possible as I've already dropped £350 on it. Hopefully this won't fall on me but I have a nasty feeling it will. Preparing myself for the worst.

Thanks

*I'll get back to banging my head against the wall and sobbing.

I had a not too dissimilar dispute on FleaBay a while back. Do not do anything to the lens, raise a dispute via FleaBay, only communicate via FleaBay and keep the language reasonable!;)

These days E Bay is far more interested in keeping buyers happy than vendors - even to the point of being unfair to vendors! Just pursue your grievances through the proper E Bay channels an I suspect you will have a happy outcome - I would be surprised if you didn't!

Let us know how you get on.

Yep same here ,go the e.bay route first .the outcome depends on how often the seller uses e.bay though .if you paid by PayPal also take it up with them they tend to be more aggressive than e.bay in dealing with complaints

I recall you saying you met the chap, presumably that means you collected the lens

Ebay/Paypal can get awkward enforcing their rules on an item being posted to the buyers verified address.

I recall you saying you met the chap, presumably that means you collected the lens

Ebay/Paypal can get awkward enforcing their rules on an item being posted to the buyers verified address.

Yeah - I did collect in person from him. Seemed a nice guy - certainly not the sort to knowingly punt a faulty lens on Ebay. It's currently with Ebay to resolve. I've made some enquires for repairs and have had quotes for around £150. Until then I have an expensive paperweight. I don;t want to put it on my camera at all at the moment as I don;t want to make any problems worse.

Thanks for the advice.

There is a private lens repair guy down south somewhere .someone will have a link I'm sure.might be a cheaper route to take and quicker to

There is a private lens repair guy down south somewhere .someone will have a link I'm sure.might be a cheaper route to take and quicker to
Most likely Miles Whitehead, its best you contact him by emai, his website is very basic but don't let that put you off.

http://www.mwcamerarepairs.co.uk/

He's very good and very reasonabley priced but sometimes not the fastest as he does tend to favour his regular pro customers first.

Last edited:
thats the one ,good sound advice to worth the cost of a e/mail to him

Back