Lenses

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Hi all. Kinda new to this. I go to quite a lot of Motorsport events. I have just purchased my ticket for Belgian GP next year. Just wondering what the best kind of lens is for getting some good close shots?

Cheers.

If you are fixed to a seat, no one can tell.
If you may move around, find a good place (that won't stay free very long!)
then it's only a matter of "what kind of shots" you're after. At Montréal's GP,
I took from 14mm to 400mm in 4 zoom lenses… but I could move around.

Earplugs are no a bad idea either!

I shall probably be doing a bit of walking around. Last time (2013) I was sat on eu rouge grand stand and struggled to get any decent shots. Next year we are at the bus stop chicane which is a bit closer to the track.

We had plugs in 2013 but unsure if we need them in this hybrid eara.

This depends on how much you can afford to spend and what camera you own, I would suggest one of the new telephoto superzooms, the Tamron or Sigma 150-600 mm lenses are ideal for motorsport, if you have a Nikon body you can buy the new 200-500 mm, I have ordered one of these having read good reviews. Second hand there are the Sigma 50-500mm and 150-500mm lenses, the first is supposidly the best of the two. For Canon the 100-400 is well regarded, now in version 2 so plenty of used version 1 examples around. Reach is needed for motorsport and I would suggest at least a 70-300mm lens if you think that the superzooms are out of your reach. With the longer lenses it is also useful to mount them on a monopod, I also use a ballhead set loose to allow similar panning movement to what I would have with a shorter lens hand held.

I would look into hiring a lens to see what you're comfortable with. Do you have any other lenses?
You're best bet is going with a Sigma 120-300mm and a 1.4 tele converter for the extra reach. Either that or a 400mm prime if you're not worried about having the variation of the zoom.

Thanks guys. I have a nikon body and I've been looking at nikkor 55-300 and 70-300 which seem to be going for around £75-£130.

Which Nikon body do you have? A Sigma 120-300 might do you nicely, you'll certainly want reach.

Forgot to say, plus a teleconverter as MartyMedia said above.

Nikon d3300. Came with an 18-55 which isn't much cop for what I need it for.

120-300 is a bit out of my price range at this stage. When using a 70 - 300, would I need to use a teleconverter?

Using a teleconvertor on a slow lens such as the 70- 300 would reduce the f stop and could cause the auto focus to stop working, try looking for a used 50-500 or 150-50mm Sigma lens, I have seen many using these lenses at motor races. You will also need any lens you buy to have a built in auto focus motor or the d3300 will not be aable to focus.

Last edited:
Ok cheers, I will have a look about. Can anyone explain the difference between an AF lens and an AF-S? Any Idea what a D3300 will require as I've read mixed reviews.

Thw D3300 requires the AF-S model as it doesn't have the built in motor drive. Another good lens for you to consider would be the Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 VC. They can be bought new in the UK for around £240.

Thw D3300 requires the AF-S model as it doesn't have the built in motor drive. Another good lens for you to consider would be the Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 VC. They can be bought new in the UK for around £240.

Thanks David. Excuse my lack of knowledge, its all new to me (n).

Back