LensPimp - DO NOT USE

Edit My Images
No
LensPimp shipped me a Canon 70-200 lens that never worked. It couldn't focus and despite several attempts to micro adjust the focus, it still didn't work. Just to be sure, I took the lens to an authorised dealer who confirmed that the lens was faulty. I off-hired the lens early, shipped back at my own expense and requested either a refund or exchange. LensPimp said they'd shipped the item out in full working order and it had been returned with focusing issues. They never addressed the fact that it had evidently been damaged en route to me (or perhaps not properly pre-send checked) and have not responded to any of my requests for a refund or replacement. Breathtaking!

Last edited:
If only there was a clue in the name.... :LOL:

next time use 'lenses for hire' (thats Stewart R on here) who have a really good rep

Yes. I looked at LensesforHire as a first choice, but they didn't have the lens available for the date of the special event. Also, LensPimp seemed to have not bad reviews...but never again!

They seem a reputable company, have you tried to contact them via their social media channels, sometimes you get a better response.

You have made a grand total of 2 posts on this forum. It would appear that you only joined our forum to slag off someone who you say gave you bad service.

I wonder if the lens hire place you used have started a thread on a suppliers forum saying DO NOT HIRE TO THIS GUY in capital letters?

In short, We don't know you why would we follow your advice? Really.

You have made a grand total of 2 posts on this forum. It would appear that you only joined our forum to slag off someone who you say gave you bad service.

I wonder if the lens hire place you used have started a thread on a suppliers forum saying DO NOT HIRE TO THIS GUY in capital letters?

I'm not out to be hired - I was hiring a lens from a supposedly reputable company that seems arrogant enough to ignore a customer's genuine lens issues.

Yes I am aggrieved so yes I am posting this to inform others of my experience.

Whether you "know" me or believe that I have an ulterior motive is really not my issue.

They seem a reputable company, have you tried to contact them via their social media channels, sometimes you get a better response.

Thanks for the advice, Fla5h. I thought the same.

I contacted them about 3 weeks ago on Facebook. And have been hounding them ever since.

I'm still awaiting a response.

Last edited:
3 weeks ago? To be honest if I was dissatisfied I'd be contacting them daily, not leaving it 3 weeks, nor just doing it over social media. I'd be on the phone, emails etc.

@Mike Chalfen Did you contact them when you became aware of the issue with the lens? or did you try to fix and take it o a repairer off your own back? I don't understand why if you got in touch with them when you knew of the issues they didn't just send a replacement

@Mike Chalfen Did you contact them when you became aware of the issue with the lens? or did you try to fix and take it o a repairer off your own back? I don't understand why if you got in touch with them when you knew of the issues they didn't just send a replacement

Hi - I didn't have the item repaired but returned it immediately (following confirmation from an independent Canon dealer that the lens was faulty and that it was my camera or user error), and informed LensPimp of the issue.

LensPimp confirmed there was an issue, but refund/replacement was never offered.

Nice!

Would I have gotten the same response had I have posted this? You don't know me either, but I have a lot more posts.

Why is it that new comers are somehow less credible. It's not like the OP was posting a glowing review of a questionable business.

Speak for yourself. Please don't include me in your "we"

same s***ty attitude I see being dished out to a new member from certain individuals..

can only assume that what your saying is that it was a hire lens so guessing that they are refusing to refund deposit and hire cost. you haven't mentioned actually going in store to them so one would assume they aren't local and that you paid by card online so have you then contacted your card supplier to get the refund that way?

Time's passed. They're ignoring you. = Final notice informing them that if they don't respond to your satisfaction within X days then it's the Small Claims Court to recover your loss.

You need to demonstrate to the Court that you have taken all reasonable steps to achieve an amicable resolution, and paper trails are always good!

Last edited:
I'm not out to be hired - I was hiring a lens from a supposedly reputable company that seems arrogant enough to ignore a customer's genuine lens issues.

Yes I am aggrieved so yes I am posting this to inform others of my experience.

Whether you "know" me or believe that I have an ulterior motive is really not my issue.

You didn't read what I wrote, I said hire TO this guy... Nor did you answer my question, so I will ask you again. It seems to me that you joined the forum to score points against this company, but as you have no credibility here ( i.e. You are not an established member here) why should anyone take your advice?

Perhaps you are a troll?

since when does having forum posts make someone credible or not... not only arrogant but a damn pathetic argument . its no wonder new members don't hang around long with idiot comments like that.. pathetic and having 1000's of posts makes YOu more likely to be a forum troll

I think you're both right guys, new members can be put off by such reception but Brian as a point. If a member as posted 1000 post and the 1001 post say he had a problem with such company it will sounds more credible, after 1000 post other member get a could idea if you are a troll.

Here is an old thread from 5 years ago where people had a good opinion of this company. https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/lens-pimp.244960/
I know 5 years is a long time.

I've just googled there name and i can't find much about them either good or bad review but they seems to have sponsored a few competition.

You didn't read what I wrote, I said hire TO this guy... Nor did you answer my question, so I will ask you again. It seems to me that you joined the forum to score points against this company, but as you have no credibility here ( i.e. You are not an established member here) why should anyone take your advice?

Perhaps you are a troll?
Would you have the same attitude if he joined to post a good review?
People join the forum for a multitude of reasons, and thank God most members have a better attitude than you, or numbers would be dwindling.

... but as you have no credibility here ( i.e. You are not an established member here) why should anyone take your advice?

Perhaps you are a troll?

No-one is obliged to accept any advice on the forums. Take it or leave it, it's entirely up to you.

Insinuating that someone is a troll and/or has no credibility, simply because they're a new member with very little posting history, is offensive. Do you have anything substantial to support this?

Okay Folks - ENOUGH with the personal attacks and allegations.

@Mike Chalfen - you may feel you've been given a bit of a rough ride from one of our members, I also feel some of his comments are a little out of order. However, to give a little background to the "air of suspicion" that some people feel hangs over new members signing up purely to either praise or slag off a single company, I'd like to point out that this particular section of the forum has sadly been hammered at times with people "shill posting" on behalf of certain companies. As (strange as it may seem to you at the moment) a quite strong community, many of the members feel strongly about this, and have basically adopted a policy of lending more credibility to someone who's been around for a couple of years of general contributions to the community, than to someone who apparently has joined purely on a mission to either boost or decry a company. This is an effort in their part to try and self regulate this section. Personally, I wish they'd simply RTM any posts like this and allow the staff to do our job.

to @Brian_of_Bozeat - I'm assuming that you're motives were simply what I've said above, and I ask you in future to take the action I suggest and NOT try and be some form of pseudo-moderator. You don't have the tools at your disposal to check the provenance of the OP's posting. Let the staff do our job.

To everyone else... can we concentrate on the OP's information please and not keep squabbling about the validity or not of information from someone with a low post count.

And, in the spirit of getting things back on track, frankly @Mike Chalfen , I don't think you did yourself any favours. When you hire ANY camera kit, the first thing you do as it gets in the building is to test it thoroughly, and if it's not working in any way, shape or form, you GET ON THE PHONE IMMEDIATELY to the company you've hired it from, tell them it's not working, send confirmation in writing (email, complete with photos of any damage if applicable), and get a Returns Authorisation immediately , and a replacement shipped straight to you, along with arranging the collection of the broken kit. You certainly don't fanny around taking it somewhere to be tested - you get it off-hired immediately.

from LensPimps site on loss and damage (my red highlight)

Loss and Damage
Loss or Damage to Equipment

Please contact us immediately if your hired item has become lost or damaged. If you still need the item and an identical or similar item is available, this can be sent to you till the end of your agreed hire period providing you cover the additional delivery cost.

As all our equipment is insured and you can satisfy Insurers that you have adhered to their Terms and Conditions, your liability is no more than the value of the insurance excess or £180 Including VAT.

Please return the damaged equipment immediately to us for repair.

So, basically, if it comes out of the box broken, you tell them IMMEDIATELY. If it takes you a week to decide it's broken, dontt be surpirsed if they reckon it may have been broken while you used it, rather than "in transit".

I'd just like to say that I didn't pay the OP to make this post!!

So, basically, if it comes out of the box broken, you tell them IMMEDIATELY. If it takes you a week to decide it's broken, dontt be surpirsed if they reckon it may have been broken while you used it, rather than "in transit".
Yes, but....

Sometimes equipment does just fail. The IS/VR mechanism packs up. The camera shutter starts to stick. It can happen, even in the middle of a hire. The hire company's first priority in this case should be - wherever possible and practicable - to get a replacement to the customer to allow him to complete whatever it was he hired the equipment for. There will be plenty of time to debate afterwards how the failure occurred and the extent to which the customer might or might not be responsible.

Time's passed. They're ignoring you. = Final notice informing them that if they don't respond to your satisfaction within X days then it's the Small Claims Court to recover your loss.

You need to demonstrate to the Court that you have taken all reasonable steps to achieve an amicable resolution, and paper trails are always good!

couple of quick things - if you're going to go that way then its 14 days. Not X days. Thats pretty well documented. And there's no such thing as a small claims court in the UK. Its county court and a judge decides if it goes to small claims track. It needs to be your last resort.

Last edited:
Yes, but....

Sometimes equipment does just fail. The IS/VR mechanism packs up. The camera shutter starts to stick. It can happen, even in the middle of a hire. The hire company's first priority in this case should be - wherever possible and practicable - to get a replacement to the customer to allow him to complete whatever it was he hired the equipment for. There will be plenty of time to debate afterwards how the failure occurred and the extent to which the customer might or might not be responsible.

Very True, and that's the behaviour I'd expect of a reputable company, ... but when the OP states in his post that his lens was basically broken out of the box, , then it makes sense to report it immediately, and not fanny around with independent checks unless specifically asked to do so by the hire company - which is why I said he didn't actually help his case, even if the companies actions going forward from that point may not have been particularly professional either.

think the op stated he contacted them within 1 day . so hardly a substantial amount of time to report the problem and certainly within a reasonable time frame for the suppliers to sort the problem out

Okay Folks - ENOUGH with the personal attacks and allegations.

@Mike Chalfen - you may feel you've been given a bit of a rough ride from one of our members, I also feel some of his comments are a little out of order. However, to give a little background to the "air of suspicion" that some people feel hangs over new members signing up purely to either praise or slag off a single company, I'd like to point out that this particular section of the forum has sadly been hammered at times with people "shill posting" on behalf of certain companies. As (strange as it may seem to you at the moment) a quite strong community, many of the members feel strongly about this, and have basically adopted a policy of lending more credibility to someone who's been around for a couple of years of general contributions to the community, than to someone who apparently has joined purely on a mission to either boost or decry a company. This is an effort in their part to try and self regulate this section. Personally, I wish they'd simply RTM any posts like this and allow the staff to do our job.

to @Brian_of_Bozeat - I'm assuming that you're motives were simply what I've said above, and I ask you in future to take the action I suggest and NOT try and be some form of pseudo-moderator. You don't have the tools at your disposal to check the provenance of the OP's posting. Let the staff do our job.

To everyone else... can we concentrate on the OP's information please and not keep squabbling about the validity or not of information from someone with a low post count.

And, in the spirit of getting things back on track, frankly @Mike Chalfen , I don't think you did yourself any favours. When you hire ANY camera kit, the first thing you do as it gets in the building is to test it thoroughly, and if it's not working in any way, shape or form, you GET ON THE PHONE IMMEDIATELY to the company you've hired it from, tell them it's not working, send confirmation in writing (email, complete with photos of any damage if applicable), and get a Returns Authorisation immediately , and a replacement shipped straight to you, along with arranging the collection of the broken kit. You certainly don't fanny around taking it somewhere to be tested - you get it off-hired immediately.

from LensPimps site on loss and damage (my red highlight)

Loss and Damage
Loss or Damage to Equipment

Please contact us immediately if your hired item has become lost or damaged. If you still need the item and an identical or similar item is available, this can be sent to you till the end of your agreed hire period providing you cover the additional delivery cost.

As all our equipment is insured and you can satisfy Insurers that you have adhered to their Terms and Conditions, your liability is no more than the value of the insurance excess or £180 Including VAT.

Please return the damaged equipment immediately to us for repair.

Where do you get this "week" from?

Post 15 states 1 day, talk about exaggerating for the sake of effect!

The fella got it checked out for his own satisfaction.

1 day, 1 week, 1 month... all I know is if it'd been broken out of the box the first thing I'd have done after fitting it to a couple of different bodies and finding it wasn't right, would be to pick up the phone and tell the hire company that day... okay, If I hadn't had access to a couple of different known good bodies, then I'd have ASKED THE HIRE COMPANY if there was anything to be gained by getting it checked at a reputable dealer before arranging a swap, but the Immediate recourse is to contact the hire company immediately you discover the problem (or potential problem)

To me it's no different to hiring a car, having it delivered to your premises and doing the "routine inspection" around the car for scratches, dents etc. before signing for acceptance of the goods. It's simply covering your own backside, and not giving a potentially less-than-professional organisation any windows of opportunity to argue...

distance selling act allows you SEVEN days to inspect goods. so I think 1 day is hardly unreasonable to ensure all is working fine.
lens pimps tocs are pretty vague as they only mention loss or damage of lens ( and an extortionate £180 excess fee ). nothing about if a lens actually arrives faulty.
also as the op stated the problem with the lens was with focusing issues so wasn't like there was obvious physical damage.
Also to note the shop is listed opening Monday to Saturday. so what if the lens had arrived on a Saturday . and you were working. by the time you got home, tested the lens and found a fault you wouldn't be able to contact them until Monday anyway so the whole argument about leaving it to long is unjustifiable.
seems people like nothing better to bitch and have little digs in this place. TP is tainted with negativity and riddled with rot tbh ive had enough of it so this is my last post .
good luck with getting your refund sorted.

Well he doesn't have seem to want to back on and update on anything,or involve himself in any other part of the forum :rolleyes:

The distance selling regulations were superseded well over a year ago. They wouldn't apply here because you didn't buy anything anyway.

Good luck getting things sorted, I don't fully underdstand why they haven't just refunded you or why you didn't return when you knew there was an issue (straight way) but I don't see a day as a reason not to refund. I'm almost nervous to ask, but is there something else going on here?

Well he doesn't have seem to want to back on and update on anything,or involve himself in any other part of the forum :rolleyes:
I`m not surprised, shocking way to greet new posters.

Back