Leprosy in Red Squirrels!

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Currently watching Autumnwatch on BBC2 and they are reporting on Red Squirrels being infected with leprosy.
Seems some cases recorded in Scotland and they are currently monitoring Brownsea Island population and have found at least one..
Never heard this before ... anyone else?

I had heard that the Brownsea population had it, don't know much about though.

Yeah heard it is quite widespread, know several sites in Scotland that has some squirrels infected by it.

Was at whinfell forest the other week. Went last year and was sick of seeing red squirrels.
This year, just one whilst leaving at the end of the week.
Apparently they've been struck down by squirrel pox.

I think it's been around for a while - just Autumnwatch treating it like it's new to give them something to talk about.............. It seems the poor old reds aren't the most robust of creatures, sadly.

I think it's been around for a while - just Autumnwatch treating it like it's new to give them something to talk about.............. It seems the poor old reds aren't the most robust of creatures, sadly.

Squirrel pox used to be their problem, but now their nuts are falling off.

Last edited:
Interesting. I had learned in a microbiology class that armadillos were the only animals that carried leprosy (Hansen's disease), but now I know to stay away from those pesky little rodents with fluffy tails.

Interesting. I had learned in a microbiology class that armadillos were the only animals that carried leprosy (Hansen's disease), but now I know to stay away from those pesky little rodents with fluffy tails.
There is more of information on the website below. It's been found in UK red squirrels, no evidence of America squirrels carrying the disease as yet. The risk to humans is quite low, avoiding contact with them is a easy precaution. It's a general rule to avoid contact with wild animals so no different to before autumnwatch broke the story.

http://www.dorsetwildlifetrust.org.uk/brownsea_red_squirrels.html

This story broke back in May but at the time wasn't picked up by mainstream media (autumnwatch seemed to have brought it to the attention of the masses). Red Squirrels have a hard enough time in the UK without people worrying they are going to cause a leporsy outbreak. Let's hope it doesn't affect their plight as they need all the help they can get.

Back