B&W Let's see your Black and White photos

God, how can they do that to themselves!

In and around the Whitby area weekend just gone.

W1A.JPG

Under one of Whitby's Piers
W2A.JPG

I was playing with the camera here ( Sony a6000) this one came from the cameras Toy camera setting in Magenta but I thought it looked better /more retro in B&W. I'm sure the Holga 120n and my point and shoot loaded with B&w film will do a much better job.
W3A.JPG

Same as the above photo
W4A.JPG

Last edited:
Whitby's Harbor. By this time light was fading. The Dark banding on the boat was bright Blue which I took in the Sony's partial colour setting set to blue. I thought it looked quite nice but of course is not for this thread
w5.JPG

Toy camera setting again , Whitby's two Piers taken from the Oldest Pier in Britain and possible the world , or so it said on the information board !
w6.JPG

Church street Whitby , taken from very close to the 1999 steps featuresd in Bran Stokers epic tale Dracula
w7.JPG

Plack explaining the use of the very steep cobbled track which runs parralel with Whitby's 199 steps up from Town level to the top of the cliff where Whitby Abbey is situated
w8.JPG

Last edited:
In and around the Whitby area weekend just gone.

View attachment 388212

Under one of Whitby's Piers
View attachment 388213

I was playing with the camera here ( Sony a6000) this one came from the cameras Toy camera setting in Magenta but I thought it looked better /more retro in B&W. I'm sure the Holga 120n and my point and shoot loaded with B&w film will do a much better job.
View attachment 388214

Same as the above photo
View attachment 388215
Nice set. I love Whitby and it's a good location for black and white photography..
Can't believe I didn't go there for so many years despite only living a couple of hours drive away.
You reminded me of a couple of my favourite shots that I got there a few years ago.

Finishing a roll of HP5 in my Olympus XA2 recently, in local woods, turned out rather well I thought (sooc, no editing after scanning):
Woods-2304-01.jpgWoods-2304-02.jpgWoods-2304-03.jpgWoods-2304-05.jpgWoods-2304-06.jpg

A mobile phone shot from my Old bottom of the range battered smart phone. Using the phone is really convenient, Nothing extra to carry, switching between formats easy ( It will do in camera Square which my Sony will not do) and I just walk in the front door and choose which ones I want to transfer then Bluetooth them to the Linux PC ( again something the Sony refuses to do) I do have to pick my shots because of it's limitations but it does seem to do a good job of the ones I am able to take !

3B.jpg

My attempted Holga edit !

holga.jpg

Last edited:
One from a few years ago. I've never been happy with this as it was a hazy day and lots of the detail and contrast in the distance was lost but I wanted the shot anyway and had another go at processing it today.

DSC07310-M.jpg

Taken from Eston Hill looking towards Roseberry Topping.

Last edited:
More random photos, I'm trying my hardest to embrace the imperfections of my old smart phone camera and am quite enjoying it. I love the Holga and just wish they did a 135 version which looked exactly the same but in miniature. I may try the Diana next as it will do square photos on 135 film or half frame and is a mini version of it's 120 brother !

HOLGA1.jpg

holga3.jpg

Today's activities , after going shopping in one direction 10 miles then to the farm supply outlet 15 miles the other way, taking the dogs for a good walk ( incorporating so b&w photography with my Cosmic 35m and Rolli RPX 400) Then a trip over to Highley to get some shots of the Morris Minor gathering. Some time I think what I have done and am amazed.

Animal feed container for the pond 2 1/2 to 3 feet across and about 18 inches deep and we hired some protection from Smoky the Heron slayer ! Old low grade smart phone
new pondbw.jpg

Back