Let's see your trains: inside and out, an open thread

..... Oooh! I love everything about this - Especially the whole composition. And what a train!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Thank you Robin, they certainly are excellent trains, clean, comfortable and fast.
I wasn't quite as effusive about them when our outgoing ICE last week was cancelled :)

Inside one of the carriages as it goes round empty to start a new journey.
In the background you can see the storage and maintenance depot at Vohwinkel.
View attachment 394205
.... Loads of interesting railway furniture in this photo. Exposing for extremes of both dark and light areas were doubtless tricky too. Nice one!

.... Loads of interesting railway furniture in this photo. Exposing for extremes of both dark and light areas were doubtless tricky too. Nice one!
Thank you, did my best with the exposure.
At one time you could stay on when it went round, but that stopped a while back.
They have enthusiast days when it is allowed and also occasionally run the "Kaiser" carriage that dates from around 1910.

I love the Schwebebahn, well worth the 1000 mile round trip to see and ride it.
Last visit was on a rather foggy weekend in December and nice to get some photos in better weather.

Last edited:
Inside one of the carriages as it goes round empty to start a new journey.
In the background you can see the storage and maintenance depot at Vohwinkel.
Great pictures! I used to love riding the Schwebebahn back in the 1980's but haven't been back to Wuppertal for far too long. It's great to see that it's still operating :banana:

Great pictures! I used to love riding the Schwebebahn back in the 1980's but haven't been back to Wuppertal for far too long. It's great to see that it's still operating :banana:
It had a few problems three years ago when it was closed for nine months after a piece of a support failed.
All ok again now and an increased amount of services per hour, none of the older Orange cars left.
Traffic chaos in the Wupper valley without it, also still got a trolley bus service between Vohwinkel and Solingen

Last edited:
I have got a thing about railway bridges, viaducts, and tunnel entrances - Should I see a therapist? :D

BLOWING OFF STEAM by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Very nice, I think that works really well especially with the different designs of the structures too.
.... Thank you James - You are encouraging my railway bridges fetish!

From front to back : A tall brick viaduct (lane now disused) - The concrete M3 motorway bridge - A brick two-span road bridge - Standard lattice iron station footbridge. So 4 for the price of 1 and worth my 3-hour fun drive from home.

Last edited:
.... Thank you James - You are encouraging my railway bridges fetish!

From front to back : A tall brick viaduct (lane now disused) - The concrete M3 motorway bridge - A brick two-span road bridge - Standard lattice iron station footbridge. So 4 for the price of 1 and worth my 3-hour fun drive from home.
Definitely worth the drive. I hadn’t noticed the 4th bridge in the far distance until you pointed it out.
I’m planning a trip up to Berwick upon tweed in November to see sir Nigel gresley going over the royal boarder bridge on its return from Edinburgh so if I manage some decent shots I will be sure to add them to the train thread.

I’m planning a trip up to Berwick upon tweed in November to see sir Nigel gresley going over the royal boarder bridge on its return from Edinburgh so if I manage some decent shots I will be sure to add them to the train thread.
.... That promises to be epic! Especially as 'Sir Nigel Gresley' is back in BR blue livery instead of boring black!

A colder time of year also helps see any exhaust.

.... That promises to be epic! Especially as 'Sir Nigel Gresley' is back in BR blue livery instead of boring black!

Yes, I’m glad she’s back in br blue, I’ve never seen the loco before but the photos I’ve seen showing her in black are a bit depressing. I don’t know what they were thinking.

From a trip to Hest Bank and Carnforth

1. From Scotland down West Coast Main line to London
Class 390 Pendolino Hest Bank by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

2. One for @RedRobin as the near bridge is the road bridge from centre of Carnforh and the far blue one is the east-west Bentham Train Line from Leeds to Morecambe/Lancaster.
Class 66 Carnforth by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

TransPennine Express Class 397 Carnforth by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

TransPennine Express Class 397 Carnforth by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

5. These are scary this close as they wizz past at high speed
Class 390 Pendolino Carnforth by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

Not the best of photos, more of a record shot, taken while the driver changed ends.

Crosscountry 43285 by Adam P, on Flickr
.... I quite like it. The more I look at it the more I like it! Great perspective leading the eye into points of interest. Nice even lighting. Clean image. 'MIND THE GAP'.

Sorry but I see nothing not to like!

.... I quite like it. The more I look at it the more I like it! Great perspective leading the eye into points of interest. Nice even lighting. Clean image. 'MIND THE GAP'.

Sorry but I see nothing not to like!

Thanks!

I'm happy enough with it, I just wish the sky was a little nicer.

I didn't know it had been in black livery. Sounds awful. All my photos of it are in the blue livery.

I didn't know it had been in black livery. Sounds awful. All my photos of it are in the blue livery.
.... The first time I saw any A4 "Streak" as they are known, was 'Sir Nigel Gresley' in black at the Severn Valley Railway. You can imagine how disappointed I was. But her chime whistle is epic!

1930s STREAMLINER! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

.... The first time I saw any A4 "Streak" as they are known, was 'Sir Nigel Gresley' in black at the Severn Valley Railway. You can imagine how disappointed I was. But her chime whistle is epic!

1930s STREAMLINER! by Robin Procter, on Flickr
A great shot,Robin. I see that the black was WW2 colours and in 1985 it was re-numbered to 60007.

In preservation the locomotive initially ran in LNER Garter blue as 4498. A number of railtours in 1967 were followed by a period at Philadelphia in County Durham during the time when privately owned steam locomotives were not permitted on the British mainline network. This prohibition was lifted in 1972 and in 1977 the locomotive’s base moved to Carnforth.

In January 1985 Sir Nigel Gresley launched the Famous trains stamps at Marylebone station and in so doing became the first steam locomotive to work from London since the return of mainline steam operations. Now carrying BR blue livery as 60007 the locomotive spent a time based at the East Lancashire Railway before moving to its present home on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway in 1995.

Wow, excellent images, and fantastic timing on the 2nd one. The mix of old vs new really works.
.... Thank you but I can't take all the credit for the timing (other than recognising the moments to shoot) because the West Coast Railways steam train pathed as a Special had to give priority to the Network Rail CrossCountry regular service and so was approaching a red light signal ahead of the join between the two lines.

All Specials pathed on Network Rail are pathed so as not to delay normal passenger services which can in turn subject delayed passengers to financial compensation. The operators, private tour companies, have to pay Network Rail to use the network and all locos have to be certified for the mainline.

Had a trip out to North Wales for a little explore around Snowdonia by bus which involved a ride on a couple of the new class 197, I wasn't sure on these at first, but they aren't too bad.

197011 At North Llanrwst on the Conwy Valley, request stop complete with semaphore signalling.

197011 - North Llanrwst by Adam P, on Flickr

197104 At Chester, with another 197 hiding in the background.

197104 - Chester by Adam P, on Flickr

Had a trip out to North Wales for a little explore around Snowdonia by bus which involved a ride on a couple of the new class 197, I wasn't sure on these at first, but they aren't too bad.

197011 At North Llanrwst on the Conwy Valley, request stop complete with semaphore signalling.

197011 - North Llanrwst by Adam P, on Flickr

197104 At Chester, with another 197 hiding in the background.

197104 - Chester by Adam P, on Flickr
.... Those Class197 look a lot more stylish than some other MUs - They have a 'face' which is attractively sculptural and give it character and the red interconnecting doors look much better in red than in yellow IMO.

.... Those Class197 look a lot more stylish than some other MUs - They have a 'face' which is attractively sculptural and give it character and the red interconnecting doors look much better in red than in yellow IMO.

Yes, I agree, they are nice looking units, though the drivers windscreen looks a little small.

For me though, the 175 will always be a firm favourite and I'll be sad to see them leave North Wales.

Not Technically a Train!

But one of the Trams at Beamish Open Air Museum

View attachment 398272.
.... Hmm, it runs on rails and so I think it qualifies for this thread but I'm not the OP.

Out of interest, about what date was this tram built?

.... Hmm, it runs on rails and so I think it qualifies for this thread but I'm not the OP.
So far as I'm concerned, if it runs on rails, it's a train. ;)

Here's an urban train / tram / whatever...

Bergisel tram Innsbruck G2 1180167.JPG

Back