Let's see your trains: inside and out, an open thread

Battle of Britain Class 'Manston' at the Watercress Line in Hampshire along with a quick insight into the driver and fireman's, choice of mug. Apologies, these are iPhone shots but I'll be back in the Spring to practice with my new camera as this particular location is definitely my "happy place".

Manston.jpegTeaOnTheFootplate.jpeg

Some years ago I had a ride up to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway armed with a 1936 Contax II, standard CZ lens and a roll each of Fuji Senia ant Kodak T-Max.

80135 at Levisham.jpg

2392 at Grosmont.jpg

D5061 at Levisham Nicepix.jpg

The Glasgow Subway will certainly loose some of it's character when the new trains fully replace the old stock!

Sir Nigel Gressley on the Nth Yorks Moors Railway

Sir Nigel Gressley_resize_36.jpg

I had a day out and included the old railway station in a town near to home. The line used to connect the town with the nearby cities of Angouleme, Limoges and Poitiers, but was closed down like many other rural lines around the same time that Beeching was axing lines in the UK. Anyway, here is a selection of what they have laying about the place.

Confolens gare Points Lever 2_resize_88.jpg

Confolens Gare Three Trains_resize_53.jpg

Cofolens Gare Blue Train 2902_resize_60.jpg

Confolens Gare Blue Train 2903 Door Detail_resize_37.jpg

Confolens Gare Orange Shunter_resize_96.jpg

I haven't visited TalkPhotography for months due to being so busy taking photos and mostly of railways! So here is one with info on Flickr ....

DOUBLE-HEADED POWER! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Excellent shot, great to see you back. I’m looking forward to seeing more of your railway photos. And great work getting the bridge in too.
.... Thankyou James. I have a thing about bridges and tunnels! I always feel attracted to include or feature them. Photos taken from over bridges can tend to be a bit limited and standard-looking though. But that last photo was shot from close to a road bridge!

Freightliners Class66 518 & 420 by Robin Procter, on Flickr

.... Thankyou James. I have a thing about bridges and tunnels! I always feel attracted to include or feature them. Photos taken from over bridges can tend to be a bit limited and standard-looking though. But that last photo was shot from close to a road bridge!

Freightliners Class66 518 & 420 by Robin Procter, on Flickr
I see where your coming from, the bridges tunnels etc adds a great sense of depth to the images and draws the eye in.

I see where your coming from, the bridges tunnels etc adds a great sense of depth to the images and draws the eye in.
.... Exactly that.

I am a 'retired-but-hardwired' professional Art Director and now an amateur photographer and so I can't help being very aware of composition. Obviously some of my pictures work better than others.

Here is one with two tunnels both completed in 1857 - One short and one long. The long one is said to be haunted.

THEY SAY THIS TUNNEL IS HAUNTED!! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

.... Exactly that.

I am a 'retired-but-hardwired' professional Art Director and now an amateur photographer and so I can't help being very aware of composition. Obviously some of my pictures work better than others.

Here is one with two tunnels both completed in 1857 - One short and one long. The long one is said to be haunted.

THEY SAY THIS TUNNEL IS HAUNTED!! by Robin Procter, on Flickr
Most of these tunnels have stories of ghosts, back in the 1980s while I was serving with BT Police we were called to a suspected fatality deep inside Standedge tunnel which is three miles long. I attended with a colleague and we walked into the tunnel with the benefit of a very powerful ‘Dragon light”.
When we had got about a mile into the tunnel the light suddenly failed. We were in total darkness. My colleague chose to go walk back and get another lamp so I remained in the tunnel. Total silence and apart from a very slight red glow on the railheads reflecting from a distant red signal it was the darkest place I had ever been and totally silent. All the time I awaited his return all I could think of was where the injured or deceased person would be…..could I suddenly feel a tug on my ankles as someone tried to get my attention.?
As it happens, we eventually continued our search and eventually found the body of a young man only about fifty paces from where we had stopped.
Not the best of shifts but certainly one I will never forget and I wouldnt be at all surprised if that tunnel was haunted.
Nice photo by the way!

Today, Sunday 10th March is Mothers Day, so .....

Photographed in February this year 2024 on a quarry stone train in The North Wessex Downs.

CELEBRATING MOTHERS DAY! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Back