Letter from Police today :(

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

Got a letter from the Fuzz today to say I'd been photographed going through a red light :nono::crying:, I thought it was amber but there ya go, damn camera's, filled in the form and sent it away, just wondered if anyone had any experience of a similar incident and what the penalty was or will be.

Cheers,

Alan

not been there but its the same as speeding a £60 plus 3 points, i try to avoid route with those bloody things on, i think there more danagerious then anything else.

Damn !, was late at night in an area I don't usually drive in so hadn't a clue it was there, just a shame that a silly moment like that is gonna cost me money and points on my (clean till now) license, wonder how the points will effect my insurance ?

Alan

Are you being offered a Fixed Penalty alternative to a summons? If so, it's sure to be a £60 or £30 fine and 3 points.

These traffic light cameras (assuming that's what it was) are getting very prevalent now and it's well worth getting the database for Tomtom which warns of them all.

Without wanting to sound preachy, remember amber means 'Stop' unless it's unsafe to do so - the more you push your luck on amber the more chance you have of running a red light.

As CT says, its a chance you take when "Amber Gambling". Just put it down to experience. Even though you need to notify your insurance company, it shouldn't effect your premium at all.

Most ins companies aren't concerned in the least about 3 or even 6 points - it's when they start to pile up a bit more you might be penalised.

Hard luck Alan..:(

The joys of motoring eh..:LOL:

Most ins companies aren't concerned in the least about 3 or even 6 points - it's when they start to pile up a bit more you might be penalised.

If only that was true

to the insurance scumbags, it's a gift from heaven...A quote for the wife's insurance went up £80 when she remembered having 3 points for breaking the 30
only one person gets more excited at the thought of a speeding/redlight fine......step forward Mr Brunstrom :bat:

Thanks guys, the letter just asked me to confirm the vehicle was mine and that I was driving it at the time, didn't mention what the penalty was going to be, so I guess I'll just have to sit and wait to see what happens next, as you said it'll teach me to 'amber gamble', but knowing my luck I'll brake and someone will crash into the back of me !.

Alan

If only that was true

to the insurance scumbags, it's a gift from heaven...A quote for the wife's insurance went up £80 when she remembered having 3 points for breaking the 30
only one person gets more excited at the thought of a speeding/redlight fine......step forward Mr Brunstrom :bat:

I'm amazed! I used to mod on 5ive-o and we had insurance geezers there who stated the usual view was far more lenient.

Ah... Mr Brunstrom... :puke: :D

Insurance companies and politicians go hand in hand, they both smile at you and tell you that you'll be looked after, when all the time they're working out how to get the most money out of you.

LOL. Trussssssst in me...

kaa6.jpg

Damn !, was late at night in an area I don't usually drive in so hadn't a clue it was there, just a shame that a silly moment like that is gonna cost me money and points on my (clean till now) license, wonder how the points will effect my insurance ?

Alan

Don't worry, my first lot of six points really stressed me, they had nearly dropped off when i got the second lot! :bonk:I'm not worried now. Even my dad got points after over 50 years with a clean licence!!!!

They are just there now! my licence will never be clean again :shake: I will have to go and change my identity if I want a clean one again! :LOL: :D

It's classed as a TS10, and yep as everyone has said, three points an £60. I got one a few years ago, I was following a bus which obscured my view of the lights, by the time I saw it was red it was too late to stop. Guess what the first car on the crossing diresction was... Yep, a police car :( blue lights on and a sit in the back of the car.
I admitted it and explained the situation, their advice was I was too close to the bus, well yeah, but no, but yeah, I was close but that's city driving and a whole other argument.

These traffic light cameras (assuming that's what it was) are getting very prevalent now and it's well worth getting the database for Tomtom which warns of them all.

eh? Why not just stop when you're supposed to?

I'd challenge it myself. You are supposed to stop `if it is safe to do so' its your decision depending on your speed local conditions road surface etc etc. If it wasn't safe to attempt to stop due to lack of braking distance or poor road surface or it may have caused an accident etc then you made the correct decision. Not much point in stopping for instance if it causes injury to your passengers or leaves your car in the middle of a junction blocking the traffic.

eh? Why not just stop when you're supposed to?

I do - at the first show of an amber light, I stop - unless I'm right on top of it. Jumping red lights is potentially far more serious than exceeding the speed limit by a few mph, and is becoming an offence I see wilfully committed day in and day out. People see the lights and start to accelerate, putting themselves in a position where they either have to brake violently at the last moment or just keep going if the lights change . They usually just take the latter option. I was taught to never accelerate towards lights on green, but to maintain speed and treat the lights as the hazards they are, anticipating the possible change and being prepared to to stop.

You could say the same thing about the speed camera database, - why not just observe the limit? In the main I do, but we all know that there are a lot of limits which are arbitrarily set ridiculously low, and the level of tolerance for police enforcement varies drastically all over the country.

Faced with increasing hi tech methods employed to catch us out, I have no qualms about using available similar methods to keep myself informed. ;)

If anyone has driven along the East Lancs (A580), you'll know what I mean.

The speed limit is 60, and there are loads of crossroads with traffic lights.
Are the lights on amber for longer due to the increased speed? Nope.

You can easily be hurtling along at 60mph towards a set of lights and they can change to amber and red before you even reach them.

I hate lights that change at the last bloomin minute, and youve got that split second decision to stop or go. Stop and you might not stop in time, go and you risk running a red.
The ambers should be longer in my opinion. If anything I think the timings are getting shorter.

Speed limit may be 60 but that's not a compulsary speed - whatever happened to defensive driving? I'm not getting at any individual here - but in general people drive far too fast most / all of the time. Why?
I just hate driving fast I suppose - just leave earlier and drive safely. I've seen too many crashes.

AMBER means STOP not RED by the way. :nono:

Read the Highway Code. :rules:

Unlucky though. :thumbsdown:

AMBER means STOP not RED by the way. :nono:

Read the Highway Code. :rules:

Unlucky though. :thumbsdown:

as people have said it actually means stop if safe to do so.

or to be precise
...If the amber light appears you may go on only if you have already crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to stop might cause an accident.

The ambers should be longer in my opinion. If anything I think the timings are getting shorter.
Fair comment - I think the timings should reflect the prevailing limit where it's a higher limit.

Speed limit may be 60 but that's not a compulsary speed - whatever happened to defensive driving? I'm not getting at any individual here - but in general people drive far too fast most / all of the time. Why?
I just hate driving fast I suppose - just leave earlier and drive safely. I've seen too many crashes.

This isn't that clear cut actually. Certainly, the posted limit is the maximum limit provided it's safe to drive at that speed, and there isn't some unusual circumstance prevailing.

Driving at well below the posted limit for no good reason though, is gross bad manners to those trailing along behind you and unable to overtake. Many people fail their driving test for 'Not making reasonable progress in the prevailing conditions' The cops can and do pull people over for this too.:)

I'm not talking about crawling at 30 in a 60 zone - but maybe 50 - 55 is ok - where as lots of folk will pass you and dissapear into the distance - obviously going well over 60. Common sense must prevail! :)

...where as lots of folk will pass you and dissapear into the distance - obviously going well over 60. Common sense must prevail! :)

Ah, but now you're talking about BMW drivers. :LOL:

tell them there was a another car up your hole and it wasent safe to stop you will get away with it, it worked for my dad

if he was spotted using a camera - which he was, then there is a photograph - how can he say there was a car up his arse? IF there wasn't he can't lie. If there was a car up his arse he should object to it.

The thing whats worrying me though is the photo ?, how good is the composition, is the exposure right, are there any dust bunnies on it.

Alan

The thing whats worrying me though is the photo ?, how good is the composition, is the exposure right, are there any dust bunnies on it.

Alan

:LOL:

Hi
I do not mean to scare you but, this happened to me earlier this year. If you are being dealt with via fixed penalty you normally get it at the first instance and if your not the driver you send it back, Stating the driver details, or you pay up if it was you.

Depending on how long the lights have been on red will depend on whether this offence is dealt with via fixed penalty, it's not automatic.

I was summoned to court and 3 points and £350 plus costs.

And as for insurance companies this offence is considered far more serious than speeding and will affect most premiums..

Sorry for the bad information..

Thanks again guys, will just have to wait and see what happens, think the letter I got yesterday said something about notice of intent to prosecute on it, I had to confirm (or not) that it was me driving, fill in my license number and send it back, can't imagine it would be deemed serious enough that I'd have to attend court after all I've admittted it was me !, it's not like I'm argueing over it ?

Alan

Yeah it's an "NIP" or "Notice of Intended Prosecution".
Basically its a form you fill in to say who was driving, they then press with the prosecution of the driver, either by way of points+fixed penalty, or otherwise.

Yeah it's an "NIP" or "Notice of Intended Prosecution".
Basically its a form you fill in to say who was driving, they then press with the prosecution of the driver, either by way of points+fixed penalty, or otherwise.

That's not quite right Bod. The form you fill in is a separate thing to the NIP. The NIP is simply a written notice that you may be prosecuted for speeding. Sometimes it comes with the request for driver details and sometimes later. It has to be received within 14 days of the offence though. If the police fail in this, then they can't pursue the matter at all.

Back