Lewis Hamilton is Changing His Surname

IMO a nice a worthy gesture that only he can decide to do.................and that he clearly, as he took her to his Investiture Ceremony, cares a lot for & about her :) Good for him.

So he becomes Hamilton Larbalestier, and let’s say he gets married and his wife feels the same, does she then take on both his surnames as well as both her parents surnames, and even if she doesn’t the kids will have more surnames than first names. And then take that further, what about the next generation of that…

As has been said, it’s a really nice gesture, but it seems like it’s coming from a place that’s just messing with tradition for the sake of looking ‘progressive’. But to each their own, that’s just my initial thoughts on it.

So he becomes Hamilton Larbalestier, and let’s say he gets married and his wife feels the same, does she then take on both his surnames as well as both her parents surnames, and even if she doesn’t the kids will have more surnames than first names. And then take that further, what about the next generation of that…

As has been said, it’s a really nice gesture, but it seems like it’s coming from a place that’s just messing with tradition for the sake of looking ‘progressive’. But to each their own, that’s just my initial thoughts on it.

It doesn’t work like that. You’d do as they do in Spain.

So the Male names win through?

Your surname is the first part of your father’s composite surname and the first part of your mother’s composition surname.
That must get rather confusing when it’s a single mum who doesn’t want the father on the certificate, it would be Felina Costa and her son Carlos Sta. (I joke)

It’s going to be a bit of a mouthful. Maybe he should change his first name to Hamilton and his surname Labalestier. Or better make two first names and Lewis as his surname so he’d be HL Lewis or LH Lewis ㋡. Though LHL sounds like some sort of lipoprotein :(.

So it would be Baby Ham*insert wife to be’s first half of surname here*. So his mum still wouldn’t get a look in. Maybe he should just buy her a really nice bunch of flowers?

The title says

Lewis Hamilton is Changing His Surname​

Where does it say this?

I believe he is adding his Mothers Surname as his middle name?

I stand to be corrected etc

Ah ok, I didn’t click the link, I don’t usually so that’s my bad. Although I just did do and I find it interesting that he wants his mum’s surname to live on in the Hamilton line, yet surely once he’s gone it will go with him? Unless he uses that name as the middle name for his future kids?

I did not think that adding a middle name required much paperwork unless at the least he means to add that to his birth certificate.....changing ones surname on the other I thought required a 'Deed Poll"(query spelling?) paperwork.

I did not think that adding a middle name required much paperwork unless at the least he means to add that to his birth certificate.....changing ones surname on the other I thought required a 'Deed Poll"(query spelling?) paperwork.

Yeah but it's free to do a deed poll anyway

Unless the law has changed, you can call yourself whatever you like unless it‘s for deception and there are are were laws against passing yourself of as army or clergy etc. I think the only problems used to come from official stuff of which there is a lot more now.

In Scotland it used to be very common for the first born son to have his mothers maiden name as his middle name, not sure how common it is now though!

I think things like this are more common these days anyway, we got married 8 years ago and we both double barrelled our names rather than one of us replace the others.

In Scotland it used to be very common for the first born son to have his mothers maiden name as his middle name, not sure how common it is now though!

I have my mother's maiden name as a middle name, but she was South African of English descent. My father was a Scot but I doubt if that had any bearing on it.

I think things like this are more common these days anyway, we got married 8 years ago and we both double barrelled our names rather than one of us replace the others.

We thought about that but my wife disliked her maiden name and was quite happy to take mine instead! My daughter and her fiancé
intended to make their married name double barreled but the registrar in South Africa made a mistake and the notoriously incompetent Dept of Home Affairs compounded it, so they both reverted to their own surnames. My grandaughter has the double barrelled name (Afrikaans and English) though.

I have my mums maiden name as one of my middle names...it helps that it is also a male first name.

I could change my name but won't.

Mr F1.2 has a ring to it.

In Iceland the surname is normally made up of the father's first name and 'son', for a son, or dottir for a daughter. so children born to a couple where the father is called Bjorn Svensson, would be, for example Bjornsson (e.g. Sven Bjornsson), and Bjornsdottir (e.g. Sigrund Bjornsdottir). they also do, sometimes, use both parents names (which is even ore confusing!)

So siblings usually have totally different surnames.

Last edited:
In Iceland the surname is normally made up of the father's first name and 'son', for a son, or dottir for a daughter. so children born to a couple where the father is called Bjorn Svensson, would be, for example Olafsson (e.g. Sven Olafsson), and Olafsdottir (e.g. Sigrund Olafsdottir). they also do, sometimes, use both parents names (which is even ore confusing!)

So siblings usually have totally different surnames.

I think that's a fairly common practice throughout the Nordic countries?

I'm a bit confused though. Wouldn't Bjorn Svensson's children be Olaf Bjornson and Sigrund Bjornsdottir?

Reactions: Nod
Always struck me as a little strange that a child gets given the mother's husband's surname when it can only ever be CERTAIN who the mother is...

Always struck me as a little strange that a child gets given the mother's husband's surname when it can only ever be CERTAIN who the mother is...
Not even that now ;)

I think that's a fairly common practice throughout the Nordic countries?

I'm a bit confused though. Wouldn't Bjorn Svensson's children be Olaf Bjornson and Sigrund Bjornsdottir?

haha yes! I confused myself, post now edited.

Back