LF film processing woes

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Having ruined 6 sheets of 4 X 5 Ektar I have finally realised what's going wrong.
I bought a brand new MOD54 film holder which did not come with instructions.
Only after some costly mistakes did I realise the film has to be fitted with the emulsion facing the centre of the tank.
Unless anyone knows different.

On the subject of processing 4 X 5, would anyone like to tell me, or better still, show me some pictures of their set up/system?

• Sad
Reactions: Sky
Last edited:
For BnW I use the Stearman Press 445, they have also realeased a new 6 frame version which uses only 600mm of chemicals. So far so good - I will try it with colour at some point as I have the Cinestill overpriced sous vide thingy bob as well

I'd definitely recommend looking at StephenM's site - loads of helpful info there from a very generous photographer

Also depending on how much you shoot, you might be worth looking at a jobo system

I got mine from CatLabs in the US but they don't appear to have any now. I agree with Karl on the loading, and I particularly like that they are (were? :( ) available in all the LF sizes that I use.

Last edited:
https://www.facebook.com/20thcenturycamera/This Facebook page may be helpful

Scroll down and you'll find some suppliers, not in the UK though. I haven't checked, but I think either (or possibly both of) Maco Direct and Fotoimpex sold them. I got some of mine from one of those and others from Catlabs.

Edit to add: I've now looked at both. Neither have them.

Last edited:
I had one on order from Bristol Cameras, but it was back ordered and I cancelled it after a few months because I was happy with the Steaman Press tank.
I can only find used ones.
The MOD54 does work when you know the emulsion needs to face the centre of the tank.

I can only find used ones.
The MOD54 does work when you know the emulsion needs to face the centre of the tank.
The MOD54 I had (probably still have somewhere) was a "seconds" and it tended to scratch the film. I can't remember which way the emulsion side was pointing, but if I got it wrong that might have contributed to the scratching.

I took delivery of a Jobo 2500 tank for my CPE2 so now I can try my 2509n. I hope it's easier to use than the recent video I posted of it.

I was looking at those but could not find a new one in the uk.
It may be a while, His production facility, at his then girlfriends place, had a fire about 6 month ago, he then found out he was not insured, since split up with her and to top it all I think he has also been diagnosed with a serious medical condition.

All this about the same time as he set up his first UK supplier.

Back