Lighting advice

Name
Lynn
Edit My Images
No
Hi everybody.
I’m new to this and looking for some advice, I’m not a photography just a nanna expecting her first granddaughter in the next few days.
With the current situation of coronavirus in my area there is no studios open so we are unable to have our granddaughter photos done.
I have purchased some umberellas and lights backdrops etc to try and get some photos of her when she arrives. I’ve been playing with the lights n things I’m a little confused as to how close I should have the lights etc also on the screen on the camera they look really good but on printing they are quite dark. Can anybody give me any advice on how I should have the lighting etc also I’m looking a buying a really good camera any advice on one for a beginner something that will give me good photos of my granddaughter and is fairly easy to work? I usually take a decent photo but sometimes they come out dark. I have took loads over the years of my daughters and always find I can have the perfect photo but the lighting lets me down on some

Hi Lynn
Welcome to TP.
Can you tell us which lights you are using please, and also which camera.

I purchased these and the camera I used is my daughters samsung wb100

Attachments

• 2E76C3E4-B813-4746-9089-474BB87BDF7F.png
    2E76C3E4-B813-4746-9089-474BB87BDF7F.png
    232.8 KB · Views: 34
I took some with the camera and some with my mobile phone and found the ones took with the phone are so much better. On the screen on the camera they look really good but when printed out look very dark. So wondering wha to do if they look good on camera but when printed they are to dark. The ones with the phone are good on phone and good printed . Just want to try and get some decent ones of our granddaughter when she arrives as can’t go to any studios due to the pandemic and don’t want miss out on photosgraphs as once she grows we won’t be able to have them. Also if you don’t mind me asking how far away should the lights/ unberllas be away from who I’m photographing and how should they be positioned. Say I was to put baby on a basket on a table say with a backdrop should I have the lighting over her looking down or away from her facing her ?

Could you recommend a camera. I’m thinking of buying one that’s easy for a beginner but what will I’ve me good photos of our granddaughter. I wanted to wait and go into a camera store so could ask advice on what would prob be best suited for me but with pandemic I’m unable to do that just now. So thought maybe order one online but not sure what I should be looking for why kind of things I would need the camera to be able to do kinda thing with like aperture and shutter speeds I have read about. What would you recommend d for taking newborn photos ?

As they are low powered, continuous lights, get them as close to the little one as possible. This will ensure more of the light is on the baby, but more importantly it will give a softer, more flattering light (no hard shadows on the face). Also check that your camera LCD screen doesn't have the brightness turned up too high, as this could be why the images look ok on the camera and are dark when printed.

Hi Lynn and welcome to TP

Many good experienced studio photographers here at TP who all being well will give you enough pointers to satisfy your needs.

You are likely not surprised that baby photography comes up on more than one occasion, indeed in the hope this will not confuse you and be helpful in giving you some insights that no doubt will lead you to ask further questions.

Here are a list of discussional threads on this sub-fora that includes 'baby' photography with lighting https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/s...t&c[child_nodes]=1&c[nodes][0]=53&o=relevance

All the best to you with your new granddaughter.....but please do not get too fixated on trying to get "that great" photograph at the expense of enjoying time with her.

PS photography is a hobby (craft) that takes time to develop and more so (by degrees) when you factor in artificial lighting......so keep practicing to (a) understand how to control the camera and (b) how to use the lighting that you have bought.

Last edited:
Hi Lynn, welcome to TP.
Yes, please look at those links. But please don't use that continuous lighting kit on a brand new baby, the lights have very little power but are far too bright for a newborn, and uncomfortable for older kids.

Flash is much better, but there's no need to use anything other than daylight.

Hi Lynn, welcome to TP.
Yes, please look at those links. But please don't use that continuous lighting kit on a brand new baby, the lights have very little power but are far too bright for a newborn, and uncomfortable for older kids.

Flash is much better, but there's no need to use anything other than daylight.

Over the years I have seen posted some beautiful and IMO lovely family memory photographs of mother & baby taken in natural light (window, dappled shade in garden or park)......as I perceive it, artificial lighting in and if itself is not a "magic bullet" to get a 'best photo'.

@Lynn bainbridge I fear you may have been too quick to buy that kit based on(?) its advertising claims rather than what is more appropriate for the particular subject @Garry Edwards knows his onions.........

Regarding printing @Lynn bainbridge - there is a learning curve with getting your prints to come out as you see them on screen, although you can be lucky and they might look okay. Here are a few things to think about, but there is a printing forum on here where you can ask for more help...

- Screens are backlit, unlike prints, so they will always appear a little brighter

- If the brightness of the LCD on the camera or computer screen is turned up, it will make the photo appear brighter than it really is, so prints will be disappointingly dark.

- Many people who print, calibrate the screen on their computer (this is where you've used a device to make sure the colours on screen are true). I'm not saying you should do this at this stage, but just to let you know, this is how you get best results. When I calibrate my screen, I am also directed towards a correct screen brightness which helps with printing.

- Many people 'soft proof' their images - this means they process them in such a way that the final print looks on screen how they want it to look with their given paper/ink - this may include adjusting contrast, brightness etc.

There is a whole learning curve with printing, as well as with lighting and also using the camera, so you have an interesting journey ahead, but one which can be very enjoyable. I hope you can enjoy many years of practising with your granddaughter and capture some lovely memories.

Hi Lynn and welcome to TP.
Congratulations on becoming a grandparent. My 1st grandchild is 19 months now and we photographed her every month from birth to 12 months, I only used flash for about 4 of those sessions, all the rest were daylight lit.

Unfortunately my 2nd grandchild arrived at the end of March and we were fortunate to be looking after his big sister whilst he arrived, so we got a cuddle on day 2 but haven’t been able to see him in person since :(

Back