Lightroom 4 has landed

Anyone finding it slow? Loading images in develop mode photos take a good few seconds to open :(

Now that the image previews have been created it doesn't seem any faster/slower than LR3.

Craikeybaby said:
Now that the image previews have been created

Sorry how do you mean?

Lightroom has to build up its library of previews, when you start using it it does this on the fly, so slows everything down.

I played with LR before but never really got on with it, probably because I didn't really make the effort to learn it. Downloaded the beta trial of LR and tried again, and I think I'm going to get it this time. I'll hang on to my old version of PS though.

I recently replaced my 500GB SATA II media drive with a 2TB SATA III drive as I needed more space. It's had a remarkable effect on LR4. Images now load instantly in full screen whilst flicking through the library, whereas I used to have to wait a few seconds. Coupled with my USB3 for importing its now great to use.

Worth considering this as a change if you're looking for a performance improvement, as it appears to not be entirely dependant upon your CPU or RAM.

The auto-tone underexpose doesn't seemed to have been fixed in 4.1, for me.

Anyone know how to stop Lr creating an 'imported dated' folder when you choose the option to backup to secondary hard-drive?

2 questions.

Is Lightroom 4 a better buy that Lightroom 3 and as i have Photoshop elements 6, would i notice a big difference using Lightroom?

2 questions.

Is Lightroom 4 a better buy that Lightroom 3 and as i have Photoshop elements 6, would i notice a big difference using Lightroom?

The RAW processing in Adobe Camera Raw plug in Elements doesn't have all the options that LightRoom or the Adobe Camera Raw version included in Photoshop CS*. Whether you would use those options, you don't know until you know what's extra, and not being an Elements user, I don't know exactly what is missing.

Newer is normally better, ;) and LR4 (and ACR 7.1 with CS6) has changed the way it does the processing, (presumably for the better ;)) as well as other added features like in program making of Photobooks amongst other things.

Just noticed Lr4 automatically removes hot pixels. Very neat :)

I have found Lightroom 4 very slow (I have by the way downloaded version 4.1).

My laptop only has 2GB of RAM though

Anyone finding it slow? Loading images in develop mode photos take a good few seconds to open :(

Ridiculously slow.

I'm a long time user of LR (since v1) and IMO they have done something stupid under the bonnet of LR4. Executable is 4X the size of LR3 (presumably with junk like maps and books) and it runs like a 3 legged dog on a particularly slow day.

Adobe don't seem too interested :( They denied it was slow and then released 4.1 which apparently fixed speed issues.....

Flipping back to PR2010 improves the speed a lot which suggests it's all the new bells and whistles but it still isn't as fast as 3.

I've tried most of the optimisation tricks and some of them work for a bit and some don't.

Setting white balance by eye is pretty much pot luck due to slider lag. Lots of pros are fairly angry right now.

I don't find it any slower than previous versions on my base spec iMac from a few years back.

I don't find lightroom slow at all even on massive files, using 16 gig ram, i7 2600K processor and sata III hard disks, but I never used LR3 so can't compare...

I don't find it any slower than previous versions on my base spec iMac from a few years back.

I skipped 3, but 4 (and 4.1 now) is definitely running quicker than 2 ever did.

Best guesses are that 4.1 runs slower than 3 for 10 - 20% of users for no obvious reason. (4.0 affected more people but was actually no worse for me than 4.1). Current theory is focusing on something to do with clarity/NR/sharpening - though I don't use those much.

But for those of us suffering it's crazy.

It's safe to assume I have a reasonably powerful computer.

Just invested in 4, running on my nearly 5 yr old iMac, and its about the same as 3 to be honest, which IS slow, but not too horrific and as I would expect on what is now a relatively low spec'd machine.

Biggest problem I have [and about to read through thread as I suspect answer is in here somewhere], that when I click to edit in CS5, any changes already applied in LR4, apart from cropping, are lost. Colour profiles are same so obviously a setting I have missed somewhere.

Yv said:
Just invested in 4, running on my nearly 5 yr old iMac, and its about the same as 3 to be honest, which IS slow, but not too horrific and as I would expect on what is now a relatively low spec'd machine.

Biggest problem I have [and about to read through thread as I suspect answer is in here somewhere], that when I click to edit in CS5, any changes already applied in LR4, apart from cropping, are lost. Colour profiles are same so obviously a setting I have missed somewhere.

In which case I'd spend a whole penny on the Martin Evening LR4 ebook that someone stuck a link to on another thread. You should be able to search that if no one comes up with the answer!

I'm actually thinking of buying it myself even though I haven't upgraded yet! :)

I believe this was an acknowledged bug that is fixed in the 4.1 release, have you installed that?

Really, really missing the 'Fill Light' of previous versions - yes, you can get much the same effect, but it takes a lot of slider juggling.... :(

Really, really missing the 'Fill Light' of previous versions - yes, you can get much the same effect, but it takes a lot of slider juggling.... :(
So switch the photos into 2010 process and get it back...

DekHog said:

Personally I've found bumping the shadow slider up and adding a bit of exposure compensation while moving the highlight slider down a bit to compensate for bright areas has a very similar overall effect but with more flexibility. Once I worked out a way to consistently do it it takes a lot less fiddling, just dragging 3 sliders instead of one.

Last edited:
I believe this was an acknowledged bug that is fixed in the 4.1 release, have you installed that?

Yep, its 4.1

I have checked both LR4 and CS5 are in sRGB mode [had issues with this before, so first thing I checked] and regardless of whether I export as PSD or TIFF, same thing, all tonal changes disappear when clicking 'edit on photoshop' but cropping & things like spot removal, remain in place :shrug:

Yep, its 4.1

I have checked both LR4 and CS5 are in sRGB mode [had issues with this before, so first thing I checked] and regardless of whether I export as PSD or TIFF, same thing, all tonal changes disappear when clicking 'edit on photoshop' but cropping & things like spot removal, remain in place :shrug:

Have you tried getting LR to render your images rather then CS5, that seemed to solve the issue for me. You should set your Preferences -> External Edit -> colour space to prophoto RGB, as LR uses this colour space when editing by default and if you've set it differently that'd also explain some of the issues

But, having said that, installing the latest version of ACR has fixed it on a more permanent basis

Last edited:
Yep, thanks Hugh, just popped onto Adobe forum and found the answer, either update ACR to 6.7, or allow LR to render first, or something about running in 2010 mode should solve too. (y)

Except don't do either of the 2nd 2 ;)

Running in 2010 will be almost like using LR 3. But with maps and slowness. Allowing LR to render first will create big tiffs all over the place.

Update ACR and reset all warnings in LR.

Really, I'm furious with Adobe over their ACR implementation - but it's to protect their profits.

Except don't do either of the 2nd 2 ;)

Allowing LR to render first will create big tiffs all over the place.

Its updated to 4.1 now, so a non issue, but I do't real understand why this is different from allowing CS5 to do the rendering.

If you tell LR to render the TIFF it creates the file, saves it, opens in CS5 and you edit & save. Net result 1 TIFF file in a nice stack in LR.

If you let CS5 render the TIFF, it opens the file, you edit & save. Net result 1 TIFF file in a nice stack in LR.

WHy the difference in end result?

Hugh do you have to render in Tiff or is that just your preference?

I am seriously thinking of upgrading to LR4 but I do use CS a lot especially with portraits and my action sets. I won't bother if I don't get my renders transferred to CS though.

That for me is one of the great things about LR3. I'd be worried about upgrading , too, if it either

a) couldn't be done, or
b) took a lot more fiddling

to do it in LR4.

Its updated to 4.1 now, so a non issue, but I do't real understand why this is different from allowing CS5 to do the rendering.

If you tell LR to render the TIFF it creates the file, saves it, opens in CS5 and you edit & save. Net result 1 TIFF file in a nice stack in LR.

If you let CS5 render the TIFF, it opens the file, you edit & save. Net result 1 TIFF file in a nice stack in LR.

WHy the difference in end result?

Thats what I thought happened too, although its seems marginally quicker when CS5 does it over LR4 [this might be my machine rather than any definitive measure], but otherwise same net result. For what its worth I updated ACR and all is now well.

As for the fill light, yes I agree, I was a bit narked it wasn't there, but having played a little on some test images from a mix of shoots, I actually prefer the flexibility of the shadow/highlight sliders that seem to have replaced it.

I've also downloaded that book that is mentioned in another thread here, the Lightroom 4 book for 1p - will have a mooch through that is quiet moments to see what else it has to play with ;)

I am seriously thinking of upgrading to LR4 but I do use CS a lot especially with portraits and my action sets. I won't bother if I don't get my renders transferred to CS though.

It can do psd too, which is useful if using droplets & actions with CS5 .... what would you normally use Tom?

no that my preference. You can only chose to render in TIFF or PSD to photoshop though.

To other editors TIFF, PSD or JPEG are available

It can do psd too, which is useful if using droplets & actions with CS5 .... what would you normally use Tom?

I use tiff at the mo with LR 3 but some are saying that the 'edit' in LR do not get transferred in LR4.

I need a LR masterclass though as I am really lacking any real in-depth knowledge about it.

I use tiff at the mo with LR 3 but some are saying that the 'edit' in LR do not get transferred in LR4.

I need a LR masterclass though as I am really lacking any real in-depth knowledge about it.

it does, if you do one of the above mentioned resolutions [update ACR, or allow lightroom to render first, or run in 2010 mode as a final resort], that was the problem I was having last night, now solved by updating ACR to 6.7 which a download from Adobe. (y)

That for me is one of the great things about LR3. I'd be worried about upgrading , too, if it either

a) couldn't be done, or
b) took a lot more fiddling

to do it in LR4.

Worry not. The level of control you get with the new sliders is way better than LR3. Plus the RAW processing is much better too. LR4 is a no-brainer as far as i'm concerned - a comprehensive update.

Worry not. The level of control you get with the new sliders is way better than LR3. Plus the RAW processing is much better too. LR4 is a no-brainer as far as i'm concerned - a comprehensive update.

Yup, the level of control for fill light is now so good and time consuming I've resorted to doing it in Picasa! Juggling 3-4 sliders also means no consistency. Change to PV2010 and it's only applied to the image you're currently on as far as I can see, which means changing it from PV2012 for every one you want to use the 'old' fill light on.... this makes it even more time consuming, plus you lose the better overall processing of PV2012.... if it was something I used infrequently I wouldn't care..... :|

Back