Lightroom 6

I wonder how much use facial recognition will actually get, it's been freely available in Picassa for getting on for 10years. The problem is normally that most people don't want to go back through their whole catalogue sorting all the suggestions of which person it is.

Here's how I think it will be of use to me.
I've recently started building up a collection of caving images and this will allow me to tag who is in them.
It's an ideal way for me to document which caver appears in the shot as I'm sure I won't be able to remember in a few years time.
I'm already struggling to answer requests to see images with a particular person in; this'll do nicely!
If it does what I think it does, then next time I photograph the same caver I'll get prompted to confirm it is who LR thinks it is which will make it fairly painless to use.

Here's how I think it will be of use to me.
I've recently started building up a collection of caving images and this will allow me to tag who is in them.
It's an ideal way for me to document which caver appears in the shot as I'm sure I won't be able to remember in a few years time.
I'm already struggling to answer requests to see images with a particular person in; this'll do nicely!
If it does what I think it does, then next time I photograph the same caver I'll get prompted to confirm it is who LR thinks it is which will make it fairly painless to use.
Don't get me wrong, I can see how it can be useful. I think my point was more that practically its something you can use going forward but it can be a huge undertaking to retrospectively tag everything (depending on catalogue size)

Is the Kelby stream live now? I just registered but no link's been sent yet.
I believe it starts at 6pm Uk time, and 1pm ET.

Face recognition will be good for me as I have not been vigilant in my workflows!

It will be a PITA, but not as much PITA as manually tagging each picture...

So my Creative Cloud has just started updating Lightroom CC.

Let's see what it's all about.

I wouldn't worry, mine got to 42% and failed. Hate to think what the bandwidth on those servers is like at the moment!

Mine's the same. Failing at 42%.

Looks like the end of the road for standalone though.

"You can still buy it; the purchased version (which will not include access to Lightroom on your mobile devices) is called “Lightroom 6” and will not receive any future feature updates. New features or enhancements will only be added to Lightroom CC."

Looks like the end of the road for standalone though.

"You can still buy it; the purchased version (which will not include access to Lightroom on your mobile devices) is called “Lightroom 6” and will not receive any future feature updates. New features or enhancements will only be added to Lightroom CC."

Well that breaks what I understood was a commitment to keeping a perpetual license available.......though sadly no longer!!!

Last edited:
From Kelby's website

So this version is now called Lightroom CC?

The current version of Lightroom is called Lightroom CC, and includes access to Lightroom on your mobile devices. It’s part of the Photographers Bundle subscription plan from Adobe, and its included in the full Creative Cloud as well.

Is this a free upgrade as a Creative Cloud subscriber?
Absolutely is. This is one of the benefits that you get – free updates for all of the software you know and love.

Can I still buy Lightroom or do I have to subscribe?
You can still buy it; the purchased version (which will not include access to Lightroom on your mobile devices) is called “Lightroom 6” and will not receive any future feature updates. New features or enhancements will only be added to Lightroom CC.

If that Software is called Lightroom 6, then what is the difference between Lightroom 6 and Lightroom CC?
Adobe is adding all of the features in the newest release of Lightroom into Lightroom 6 and CC. Going forward, I would believe that the software that will receive more updates in terms of features would be Lightroom CC.

How do I get all of the features that come out after Lightroom 6 is announced?
I would recommend you guys use the Creative Cloud Photography Plan. At 10 bucks, you get updates to both Photoshop and Lightroom – continuously. Can’t beat that.

So still waiting for the webcast to start.....19+ minutes of Kelby advertising so far.

Very negative comments appearing on the Kelby chat stream. Must admit I thought I had logged in wrongly, but seems the rest of the world are struggling too. But now live......

Would buy at special deal of $99 for 12 months PS/LR subscription, but for 'shipping' to UK its an extra £65 !

No way. Will wait and see what deals shake out over coming months.

All I care about is speed. The rest is just fluff. Tell me they fixed the speed.

Would buy at special deal of $99 for 12 months PS/LR subscription, but for 'shipping' to UK its an extra £65 !

No way. Will wait and see what deals shake out over coming months.

Monthly subs available for £7.28 just now which doesn't work out a lot more after sales tax is added.

Well that breaks what I understood was a commitment to keeping a perpetual license available.......though sadly no longer!!!

They haven't broken any agreement. A perpetual licence is still available. You just won't get any new feature update until version 7.
CC subscribers will receive feature updates as they roll out. The same as photoshop.

I would imagine you will still receive the usual camera support updates, bug fixes, camera raw updates just like we did in v5.

Has there been any mention of an upgrade price? The Adobe website doesn't list it on the standalone version. Thinking of upgrading from LR4.

Can I still buy Lightroom or do I have to subscribe?
You can still buy it; the purchased version (which will not include access to Lightroom on your mobile devices) is called “Lightroom 6” and will not receive any future feature updates. New features or enhancements will only be added to Lightroom CC.

So if I was to look at what ever comes out of Photokina next year, then LR6 will not work with new files without moving across to CC?

:(

19 minutes late starting, and surprise surprise, we get 19 minutes of Kelbyone adverts, seems a bit convenient to mel. There are a few useful features in LR6, but the whole presentation was spoilt by two Americans massaging each other egos. If they got down to the job in hand they could have covered many more features instead of wasting time.
I am not prepared to pay monthly subscriptions for LR and CC as I am only a hobbyist and a light user (I own genuine copies of LR5 and CS6), so am disappointed that by purchasing LR6 we become the poor relatives and not get the upgrades that will be made available for CC subscribers. Makes you feel like looking for a good alternative to Photoshop.

So if I was to look at what ever comes out of Photokina next year, then LR6 will not work with new files without moving across to CC?

:(
Ditto - I suspect I'll be getting a 5D4 which might put me in the same situation.
Be interesting to know if camera updates are going to be supported, even if new features aren't.
Fingers crossed they will be...

Strange how the upgrade installer (through CC) actually leaves the old Lightroom 5 on your system along with 6. You need to manually go find Lightroom 5 in Applications and delete it. For some reason the uninstaller with the CC app was 'unavailable'.

I've not had much of a poke around, but if feels pretty....samey! Don't think I'd be jumping out of my skin to buy it if I wasn't a subscriber.

Re the updates withe standalone version. Is that not the same as before anyway? I read that as having to pay for LR7 etc when they come out. I haven't had updates to LR4 beyond the usual camera raw ones. I think they're getting at new features rather than generic updates. Could be wrong though [emoji3]

Just caught the last ten minutes of the live broadcast from Creative Live on LR6, did not really give anything useful.

Back