Lightroom 7 - "will appear later this year".

Well by definition a hack is anything which circumvents restrictions in software ... in this case the plug in is circumventing the restriction that Adobe made De-haze available ONLY to paid up subscribers of Lightroom CC. Now is it "illegal" ... unlikely you could argue it is illegal. However it is the kind of action which has lead Adobe to dropping stand alone products.

No its no "a bit poor" that stand alone Lightroom didn't have Dehaze. Adobe stated that Lightroom standalone would have certain functionality when it launched the product. It also said that CC would have a continuing improvement and development that Standalone didn't have! To go back to the car analogy ... its like complaining that the radio in you 2015 model can't support Android Car / Apple Play when the one in the new 2017 model does; when the electronics of both radios are the same.

If Adobe didn’t want people to do this it would not be accessible to lightroom develop presets. But Adobe have allowed dehaze to be accessible by pre-sets.

Do you work for adobe, you do seem to be a bit of an Adobe evangelist...

Do you work for adobe, you do seem to be a bit of an Adobe evangelist...
No, just a happy customer who finds the value for money equation for Lightroom CC to be fine but wonders why anyone is surprised about Adobe restricting standalone sales when they are talking about how to circumvent restrictions... oh and someone who’s ill currently so has far too much time on my hands!

they have just done a new full. update of Lightroom cc. and photoshop cc.
Downloaded and installed them yesterday.
Not used them yet, but among other things they are supposed to be much faster.
we will see.

No, just a happy customer who finds the value for money equation for Lightroom CC to be fine but wonders why anyone is surprised about Adobe restricting standalone sales when they are talking about how to circumvent restrictions... oh and someone who’s ill currently so has far too much time on my hands!

@Eloise as stated not only by me to use De-Haze 'under the hood' only needed presets (or automation of that preset), please can I ask how you think usage of presets can be seen as "circumvention of restrictions"?

PS so to hear you are unwell ~ GWS :)

@Eloise as stated not only by me to use De-Haze 'under the hood' only needed presets (or automation of that preset), please can I ask how you think usage of presets can be seen as "circumvention of restrictions"?

PS so to hear you are unwell ~ GWS :)
My last word on this... (prefaced by the fact I’ve been a CC subscriber so never seen the interface without DeHaze easily accessible) but it appears to me when a blog post starts off (and I’m paraphrasing) “Here’s how to use this cool new DeHaze tool in Lightroom 6 which Adobe have put into LR CC but we’re p****d off they haven’t given access to in our standalone version of Lightroom” ... that’s a blog on how to circumvent Adobe’s restriction of which customers get the tool!

As I say I don’t really care (I’m happy paying CC subscription cost currently), but neither am I surprised there is no longer Lightroom standalone when people were doing such things - and I’m thinking how it would appear to Adobe more than how it appears to me.

And thanks for the PS :)

If you can post a link to the blog you mention as I would be interested in seeing/reading the blog post and wonder how old it is???

Re: my PS I only just noticed my incomplete word 'so' should have read 'sorry' ~ doh!!!

Hi Jeremy

Yes, as I say in my middle paragraph/sentence ~ De-Haze can indeed be accessed and I have found it usefull on the few occasions I have tried it ;) And your posting the link is a heads up for a IMO good addon to LR6 users.

In LR I do like the way we can visually control the clipping points (highlight & shadows) with the use of the ALT key hold down.

Having now downloaded and tried the Dehaze plug-in it's interesting to see that you can also adjust the black and white points of selections made using the radial and graduated filters. Presumably they would also have been in standalone LR6 had Adobe not decided to disable them?

Whereas doing the same with selections made using the brush is still not possible even with the plug-in. One could speculate that this was not possible at the point when LR6/2015 was first released but is a more recent development.

Having now downloaded and tried the Dehaze plug-in it's interesting to see that you can also adjust the black and white points of selections made using the radial and graduated filters. Presumably they would also have been in standalone LR6 had Adobe not decided to disable them?

Whereas doing the same with selections made using the brush is still not possible even with the plug-in. One could speculate that this was not possible at the point when LR6/2015 was first released but is a more recent development.

I have not used the most recent update (it was the original I found interesting & promising) to the Cut thru the fog addon but IMO overall it does at least give more flexibility for LR6 owners.

Hi Elliott

Thanks for the insight :) the more they are developing (no pun intended) LR it is looking more & more like its possibly original intention of being 100% the digital version of the wet darkroom.............I still recall dodging & burning across the enlarger image with my hands and paddles/flags. NB No pixel level stuff needed like in PS?

I also found this thread at LuLa about the 'Process Version' changes from PV2012 to PV4 in CCClassic and how one poster feels the shadow noise if handled better??? http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=121095.0

I hadn’t noticed the new process version. I’ll have a look, thanks.

On a more positive note, I’ve taken the plunge with LR CC, now just to wait for 14,000 images to upload [emoji57]

So would you need something like a card reader to plug in to an iPad and then load them straight to the cloud ?

My iPad is already full of apps and photos etc so they need to go “through” it rather than “in” it lol

You cannot Import directly to Lightroom, you need to import into the Camera Roll first and then into Lightroom. So you will need space for the photos on the iPad. I have a 128gb iPad Pro, so not too much of an issue for me. I use the Lightning to SD Card reader as it is USB3 and quicker than WiFi

Had an email today offering me the upcoming version of On1 photoraw for £49 as an upgrade. If they could import the LR catalogue complete with edits then it would be a no-brainer.

You cannot Import directly to Lightroom, you need to import into the Camera Roll first and then into Lightroom. So you will need space for the photos on the iPad. I have a 128gb iPad Pro, so not too much of an issue for me. I use the Lightning to SD Card reader as it is USB3 and quicker than WiFi

I have very little space left on my iPad BUT pretty sure my iPhone 7 plus has a reasonable amount of capacity left so might be possible, many thanks

I'm sorry if it's already been covered but can someone answer what's hopefully a simple question? I have a large collection of images on my imac hard disk based 'classic' catalogue and happy to keep it that that way. I have been playing around with importing images to the macbook on the new LR (cloud thing) and I like the fact that images are there on my imac when I switch it on and all edits copy over.

However, am I right in saying these images will only be saved on the cloud rather than locally? And what would happen if I deleted image at either end?

I'm sorry if it's already been covered but can someone answer what's hopefully a simple question? I have a large collection of images on my imac hard disk based 'classic' catalogue and happy to keep it that that way. I have been playing around with importing images to the macbook on the new LR (cloud thing) and I like the fact that images are there on my imac when I switch it on and all edits copy over.

However, am I right in saying these images will only be saved on the cloud rather than locally? And what would happen if I deleted image at either end?

Not sure about deletion, however I think you can download them locally. My plan would be to Export the finished image as a JPEG into iPhotos. iPhoto them becomes my digital photo album

They automatically end up on your iMac. Look for the Mobile Import folder (can be set in preferences on the Lightroom CC tab (“Specify location for Lightroom CC ecosystem’s data”).

If you delete them from within Lightroom CC (Cloud) they remain on your iMac.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/lightroom-cc-and-cc-classic.664931/#post-7980411 (and a second follow up post later in that thread) describes my (fairly quick) experimenting using Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic together.

They automatically end up on your iMac. Look for the Mobile Import folder (can be set in preferences on the Lightroom CC tab (“Specify location for Lightroom CC ecosystem’s data”).

If you delete them from within Lightroom CC (Cloud) they remain on your iMac.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/lightroom-cc-and-cc-classic.664931/#post-7980411 (and a second follow up post later in that thread) describes my (fairly quick) experimenting using Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic together.

Brilliant. Thank you very much indeed. Think I have it working how I want it now.

It did occur to me that I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with regard to the 20gb cloud storage though. It's probably not enough for a me to go on holiday and use but 1tb would be way more than I need.

Is Lightroom CC *Classic* only available direct from Adobe?

I can't find it on Amazon for example (only Lightroom CC).

A(nother) sign that it's not the future? *gulp*

Is Lightroom CC *Classic* only available direct from Adobe?

I can't find it on Amazon for example (only Lightroom CC).

A(nother) sign that it's not the future? *gulp*

I think that when it says it includes 20gb, that is the bundle that includes "Classic'.

I think that when it says it includes 20gb, that is the bundle that includes "Classic'.

Ah, yes - and the 1TB version is the new one.

You'd think Adobe would work with the biggest retailer in the world to get the promo right. Shambles.

Think its all subscription based now.

Yes, but you can buy a one-year licence in advance, rather than paying monthly. And it's usually discounted on Black Friday....

(I paid £70 for 12 months a year ago, and only just used the code)

Last edited:
Back