Beginner Lightroom vs Elements

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I was wondering what benefits there would be in upgrading to Lightroom from Photoshop Elements for a relative beginner with raw processing? So far I've I've been thinking along the lines of 'if I don't know I'm missing it, I don't need it'. I've more or less got to grips with the basics of Elements, but am curious what else there is I might be missing. One thing I have noticed is there doesn't seem to be a CA tool in Elements' raw editor.

Last edited:
I would simply say yes.

They are completely different tools for completely different jobs and will make working with raw much easier so it becomes a natural part of your workflow.

However, as Kodiak points out, there are some alternatives such as Capture One and DxO which do much the same thing but Lightroom is the most popular.

Lightroom also gives a library storage function and it simplified my workflow. Other than the actual RAWs I don't store any edited pegs on the hard drive, jpegs are exported only as small files for flickr or straight from Lightroom to hidden folders on my website. I do about 99% of my editing in Lightroom, very rarely do I use elements. With LR6 I find there is less reason to use elements.

You can download a free trial of Lightroom to try it for yourself. These tutorials are great to learn Lightroom. It may be LR4 but most of it is still relevant.

http://en.elephorm.com/tuto-lightroom-4-complete-training/lightroom-4-introduction.html?html5

There are other software program's out there but I finished at Lightroom as it does what I need it to.

CO9 works both ways:
session (my choice) and
library (if you could only avoid it…)!

I have used only Lightroom and I am quite happy with it, bought a license online quite cheaply a while back and it is definitely worth it

Back