Lightweight tripod for hiking

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I'm looking for some recommendations for a lightweight tripod to take on long hikes, preferably one that when collapsed is small and can handle a Canon 5D Mark III + lens (biggest being Canon 70-200).

I currently have the Manfrotto 055 (Aluminium) + Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head but which totals just over 4KG, too much!

Budget is flexible but between £50-£200 would be good.

Appreciate your input!

8.8 pounds for a tripod & head head? Jeez! What he said above.

I'd also rather just get something else so I'm not having to change heads constantly.

Why do you think a different tripod will have a head that does everything or even forgetting the different tripod you will find a head that does everything? You got a head for landscape work and I guess you could use it in a studio for still life or macro photography, but it will not do quick set up or wild life or birds or ... The answer for multiple heads is multiple tripods :runaway:, for less weight and to maintain or increase stability you got to pay :( [I got two 055s and some heads I would not dream of carrying].

Last edited:
Why do you think a different tripod will have a head that does everything or even forgetting the different tripod you will find a head that does everything? You got a head for landscape work and I guess you could use it in a studio for still life or macro photography, but it will not do quick set up or wild life or birds or ... The answer for multiple heads is multiple tripods :runaway:, for less weight and to maintain or increase stability you got to pay :( [I got two 055s and some heads I would not dream of carrying].

I never said that I thought I'd find another head that does everything? I use the head for architectural work. Yes it would be great for landscape work, but I started this thread to find a tripod/head combo that's a lot lighter. Will I have to sacrifice on features? Yes. But that's something I'm willing to do.

Just some suggestions please, thanks!

Your problem is that £50-200 is not that much for a lighter tripod than you already have that will also hold around 2.5kg (5D III + Canon 70-200) and keep it stable in landscape and portrait orientations and keep it stable when it's windy etc. Your current head is 1.2kg (apparently), something like this https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/xpro-ball-head-in-magnesium-with-200pl-plate will be stable and is 700g lighter - which is around a 17% weight saving overall.

Ok thanks. I was hoping for perhaps a "cheaper" brand that could handle it but perhaps it doesn't exist!

I have many tripods of which my smallest/lightest is a manfrotto befree. Works with my 5d mk3 and big lenses but if you want stable you wouldn't have it fully extended. This is my travel tripod for sticking in a suitcase
I have a red snapper carbon with trigger manfrotto head, which is light, stable and easy to carry in its bag.

I have a very lightly used Sirui ET-1204X which I could put in the classifieds if you're interested (and able to access them).
It's fairly similar to the T-025X but four-section legs and lever locks on the legs instead of twist locks.

I noticed this pop up on my twitter the other day:

https://www.cameraworld.co.uk/end-of-season/benro-ifoto-if19-with-ball-head.html

http://www.benroeu.com/products/benro-fta18ab0.aspx

Ok it's not going to get you very high but it's a travel option for specific uses. I'm tempted as I'm planning to hike/camp next year. It would only save me 750g but I'm also thinking of one lens setup to save weight for these specific trips. The 24-70 and 70-200 are far too heavy where I'm going to be hiking a distance with camping gear too.

When I was fairly recently looking for a lightweight tripod I scoured the used market and ended up with a Gitzo G1550T. I put my Triopo RS3 head on it (complete overkill - but it was handy) added an Arca style clamp and I now have a nice light, yet stable, travel tripod - total cost £180 inc postage.

My advice would be would be to get a top quality tripod, they are really worth the extra pennies, but get a used one as the new prices are silly! Having said that 3 of my 4 (current Gitzo tripods) were bought brand new because the Chinese copies were more expensive! Hunt long and hard for the best prices - you may be very pleasantly surprised - I was!

Thanks for the suggestions all.

I've gone for the SIRUI T-025X Carbon Fibre, now hurry up post man :)

Happy new toy! Let us know how you get on with it.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

I've gone for the SIRUI T-025X Carbon Fibre, now hurry up post man :)

I would be very interested in any feedback about this.

I really need to lighten my load if I am to walk up Blencathra etc this year lol

I would be very interested in any feedback about this.

I really need to lighten my load if I am to walk up Blencathra etc this year lol

It's a great little tripod, Tony. Very light and well made. It fits easily in a backpack or on the outside when collapsed you wouldn't even know it was there.

I'm still getting used to the ball head as I'm used to my geared head. It just takes a little longer to level it out.

Because it's so light, on a windy day you going to struggle with long exposures. If windy days and long exposures aren't your norm then I definitely recommend it!

It's a great little tripod, Tony. Very light and well made. It fits easily in a backpack or on the outside when collapsed you wouldn't even know it was there.

I'm still getting used to the ball head as I'm used to my geared head. It just takes a little longer to level it out.

Because it's so light, on a windy day you going to struggle with long exposures. If windy days and long exposures aren't your norm then I definitely recommend it!

I think it's fair to say all lighter tripods are compromised in terms of stability. If your shot allows it, keeping it low so only using the fatter legs sections and if possible, splaying them out wider too can help a lot. The can give very good stability but obviously won't suit all situations.

I have some Xmas money burning a hole in my pocket and had pretty much set my stall out to go for a 410 Manfrotto geared head and upgrade my tripod BUT realistically I really want to get up the hills this year in the Lake District etc do I think a better option is to get the weight down to a manageable level. This sounds to be a good model to tick as many boxes as possible.

Vanguard 265 Veo - an amazing little tripod that punches weight over its weight ( and silhouette).

aye and twice the weight of the sirui :-(

Yes, it looked a good suggestion but then I noticed the weight and as much as I like a bargain I think when the time comes I am going to really focus on getting the weight down in the rucksack even if it means paying that bit more.

I have been using MeFoto carbon tripod (can't remember the exact model) since March and so far I am satisfied with its weight and performance ratio against the money paid for.

There is quite a large range and prices very a lot.

When you get chance could you add the exact model.

Many thanks, Tony

Got a Manfrotto Befree, mine is the CF version, but the alu version is identical
Its never going to replace a heavier bigger tripod, but for my travelling purposes its fine.

Pros obviously size and weight, packs up small enough to go inside my rucksack or carry on bag

Cons, not going to mention stability because that's a given, main one for me is the Manfrotto q/r clamp and plate.
Not a fan, now has an Arca clamp because all my various plates/grips use that fitting

Hi,

I'm looking for some recommendations for a lightweight tripod to take on long hikes, preferably one that when collapsed is small and can handle a Canon 5D Mark III + lens (biggest being Canon 70-200).

I currently have the Manfrotto 055 (Aluminium) + Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head but which totals just over 4KG, too much!

Budget is flexible but between £50-£200 would be good.

Appreciate your input!

I've got a 3-legged thing. Costs £134
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/3-legged-thing-punks-travis-with-airhed-neo-ballhead-1607778/

It also converts into a monopod. It weighs 1.6kg and I strap it on the back of a backpack and don't even notice it.

Back