Links to information for beginners

RobertP

TPer Emeritus
Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
We had a request come in to the staff room for one of the tutorials to be moved into the basics section and made a sticky as it was aimed at beginners.

Instead having a thread with links to helpful stuff specifically aimed at beginners has to be a better idea so here it is.

Please post here to add your links to beginner type help that you think may be useful.

Here are a couple from our TP tutorials section to get things started -

Choosing and Buying your first DSLR

Beginners guide to RAW

A couple of the sticky threads in 'other tutorials' have explanations of photographic terms

When my Mother-In-Law starts howling i know it is the right time to see the moon. lol

www.google.com is quite handy, as are the manufacturers' sites, some of which carry copies of the manuals.

hi mike just checked out the cambridge in colour site,many thanks for posting the link, great website thanks

Hi all
Just about to start my journey into the world of photography and being a cheapskate and sticking pretty exclusively to secondhand equipment.

I am really confused when it comes to the quoted f-values on lenses with a range. Is there a link to an explanation of the difference between say a 50-300mm f4 and a 50-300mm f2.8?

Will get the hang of it all eventually im sure

I just posted this in the Tutorial & guides section http://photoephemeris.com/
I find it gives me all the info I need for when where and type of moon. Handy to know when the sun/ moon will rise/set behind any given object.

I've just found this free book download. I haven't read through it all yet but there does seem to be lots of very useful information here.
http://www.photokaboom.com/_htm_menus/Beechers_Handouts_menu.htm If you click on download you can save it as a pdf file, or you can view it online, but online I've have found there are several broken links.

www.google.com is quite handy, as are the manufacturers' sites, some of which carry copies of the manuals.

Just checked this site out, very good for looking up all kinds of things. I may use this instead of ask jeeves from now on. Thank you.

Hope it's ok to list my own photography tips site!
http://greatphotographytips.co.uk

A set of entertaining short HD videos, each film shows one photography tip, aimed at everyone from beginners to enthusiasts.

There are currently around 40 films, and I add new ones every couple of weeks, please take a look.

Cheers,
Bernie

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear all

Just want to start a new career in photography where i bought myself 550d. few pictures already taken at a friend wedding but realised image quality is not up to standard in comparing with other pictures taken on web.

the question is;(1) does quality pictures rely on camera quality or setting? (2) how do i get best qaulity picture using my DSLR 550d (3) any recommended setting when taken pictures during daylight or evening?

Thanks

Jude

Right I really need to go back to basics (thats if I was ever there in the first place !)

I need to get to know my camera .....I've had it for 2 years and I still dont know what it can do - only because the technical jargon in the booklet is too technical !! If I learn about this camera it will make it easier for when I can step up a notch and get a better camera . I have no idea what any of the settings are and how I'm supposed to set it for what kind of occasion etc
I need an idiot proof explanation of the symbols and settings - is there one anywhere on this forum ?
I might even end up with some decent action shots , who knows !!

That is brilliant Richard , thank you .....very very helpful . I will read it over and over until it sinks in ! I'm putting it in my favourites folder so I know where it is at all times .

Richard the main reason I joined the forum was for help in choosing my first camera so I can hopefully master the art of photographing my dogs during gundog lessons were they run like the clappers .....so the one covering fast moving objects and birds in flight will also be beneficial to me .

The Alison digital photography courses are laid out as an online college style course that you can work through step-by-step at your own pace. There's plenty for beginners that's completely free!

Digital Photography

Back