Live View

Edit My Images
Yes
Just curious to why DSLR's don't seem to have a 'live view' i.e rather than looking through the viewfinder using the screen instead?

Can't think of many times you need it apart from shooting above your head perhaps. Just wondered if it was a preference not to have it on a DSLR and have other features or is it it a tech one. Sure new ones now to have them.

My mate has just bought a new Lumix compact, nice camera although it has massive screen no viewfinder. Annoying looking at a screen I found you had to hold it away to see the screen therefore you weren't holding it very steady.

It has millons of modes, baby mode lots of scene modes, firework etc etc etc. These digital camera's do everything these days :)p

I think that untill recently it hasnt been in much demand on an SLR.. Also there was somw issuse over the fact that it would need either 2 sensors, or for the sensor to be 'ON' all of the time.. And there is a problem with the mirror assembly, to see through the sesnor the mirror would have to be UP.. there fore you wouldnt be able to look through the viewfinder..

I think this would cover your question.. But there ARE cameras on the market that have solved the problem (if there was one!) and now have 'Live View'.. the EOS 40 and the Mk3 canons for example..

It has millons of modes, baby mode

in that mode does the camera inexplicably start crying and then **** itself?
:bonk:

To answer the question though its something that was first used (in a rather primitive form i believe on the fuji DSLR and then olympus perfected it in the E300 (i think) seems to be a feature of many of the latest SLR's now though, cant say its one that id use or be swayed by.

It has millons of modes, baby mode lots of scene modes, firework etc etc etc. These digital camera's do everything these days :)p

I'm still looking for one that has naked girl on stunning landscape at sunset that will sell for millions of pounds mode.

in that mode does the camera inexplicably start crying and then **** itself?
:bonk:

It's something to do with softening the flash in 'baby' mode. TBH a flash is a flash really in terms of scaring a child. Just seems to be an excuse to create another mode.

It's all very well having these modes but you can't be creative with them, long exposures, focusuing points etc.

Just so happens my DSLR (1D MK3) does have live mode, cant see me ever using it in anger though apart from just showing people it works ! Only works with MF, and when you use it you cant see through the eyepiece, of no use to me really !

I have been waiting for some time for a DSLR with live view that can be completely controlled via a connected PC.

I use a Minolta A2 in this mode and can, from a PC screen set all parameters, focus including manual, and take the shot. I sometimes do wildlfe this way, just leave the camera on a tripod and sit in the warm behind the curtains. Also very useful for shots where you don't need to leave room for the photographer and natrural portraits, less intimidating if you sit to the side with a PC.

Just so happens my DSLR (1D MK3) does have live mode, cant see me ever using it in anger though apart from just showing people it works ! Only works with MF, and when you use it you cant see through the eyepiece, of no use to me really !

Absolutely bobbing perfect for macro work - that 10x zoom nails focus everytime. Cant see much use out in the wild though, Although Andy Rouse claims to have nailed rabbit photography with it............ :shrug:

I tried it on some land- and seascape at Dungeness the other weekend - faired ok but only cos my joints ached too much to get my eye down to the viewfinder ;)

I have been waiting for some time for a DSLR with live view that can be completely controlled via a connected PC.

I use a Minolta A2 in this mode and can, from a PC screen set all parameters, focus including manual, and take the shot. I sometimes do wildlfe this way, just leave the camera on a tripod and sit in the warm behind the curtains. Also very useful for shots where you don't need to leave room for the photographer and natrural portraits, less intimidating if you sit to the side with a PC.

1D mkIII is the one for you - needs to be teamed up witht he 85mm f/1.2 though as its the only current lens in the canon lineup with electronic focussing. For everything else, pre-focus :)

1D mkIII is the one for you - needs to be teamed up witht he 85mm f/1.2 though as its the only current lens in the canon lineup with electronic focussing. For everything else, pre-focus :)

Brilliant, apart from the price of course, I guess that gives me 3 choices.
  1. Keep the A2 for this work
  2. Buy the 1D MkIII
  3. Wait till Cannon move this function down their range a tad

I'm tempted, but I can wait a while and see what happens.

Brilliant, apart from the price of course, I guess that gives me 3 choices.
  1. Keep the A2 for this work
  2. Buy the 1D MkIII
  3. Wait till Cannon move this function down their range a tad
I'm tempted, but I can wait a while and see what happens.

Actually, the Canon Powershot Pro1 had this facility and had an electronically controlled manual focus ring. Admittedly, its a bridge camera rather than SLR, but it has the ONLY fixed L lens in the lineup. Available for as little as a couple of hundred now and shoots in RAW as well as jpeg

I had a Minolta A2 with true live view, as you changed the shutter speed or aperture the screen showed you how the finale image would look. Don't know if the DSLR's have the same live view as the A2 has, but if not why not.

Actually, the Canon Powershot Pro1 had this facility and had an electronically controlled manual focus ring. Admittedly, its a bridge camera rather than SLR, but it has the ONLY fixed L lens in the lineup. Available for as little as a couple of hundred now and shoots in RAW as well as jpeg

Thanks, the Minolta shoots RAW of course, so generally there would be little point in changing for something similar, the lens can be randomly soft, but once you find out where the limitations are it's easy to work around. I have SLR's, I just don't like DSLR viewfinders so I'm patiently waiting for them to improve, before I move to DSLR. That said, I haven't peered through a 1D MkIII yet. I have a shed load of Cannon lens's but all previous models.

I had a Minolta A2 with true live view, as you changed the shutter speed or aperture the screen showed you how the finale image would look. Don't know if the DSLR's have the same live view as the A2 has, but if not why not.

I'm sure you'll be relieved to be advised that Canon manged to squeeze this into their thinking. Marvelous chaps aren't they?

Exactly, and it's a doddle if wear glasses as you get a 10 inch viewfinder.

Back