Lizzy Gadd on Skye

Watched it last week and thought it was a good video. It would be worth seeing large prints of her work I think, they are often much more impressive than what appears in a video

Wow, there are some glorious pictures there; a remarkable talent and such a good eye.

Really good and interesting video. My daughter watched a video of a landscape blogger with me yesterday and complained about him putting himself in all his shots ("to give a human scale"). But these were clearly self portraits set in landscapes rather than "a bloke in hiking gear standing in a landscape". Very nice. I'm off to watch the rest of the films in the series now.

Thanks for posting Peter, it was a very good watch

These shots are ruined by her posing in them. I know this is a new trend but I loathe it with all my being.
Agree with Steve,. Nice location, compositions and light in some of them but she is distracting and ultimately ruins what would otherwise be quite good indeed.
It's an interesting idea that our landscapes should be devoid of people, but many of our "wildernesses" used to be quite heavily populated. I recall that OS maps used to have a cover shot without people, but that changed to having clear signs of human presence as that was what buyers wanted.

Humm each to there own I suppose but I really love her images - there are plenty of 'normal' landscape shots to look at if you wish but I think it really adds something having her in them.

It's an interesting idea that our landscapes should be devoid of people, but many of our "wildernesses" used to be quite heavily populated. I recall that OS maps used to have a cover shot without people, but that changed to having clear signs of human presence as that was what buyers wanted.

I guess I am not like other people - I certainly don't see the world the same way as a lot of people (I was recently diagnosed with Autism which explains a lot of the stresses and strains I experience in my life). I find these images highly irritating and I know I shouldn't but it is how I am. I see so much lovely work - marred and it annoys me intensely. Like these instagram shots with lone people in them - I mean why - you can see it's a big mountain - you don't need a hipster in a luminous coloured jacket to tell you this or a woman in some ridiculous outfit to give meaning to some of gods finest work.

Rant over!!!

I rarely follow links like this, and even more rarely do I watch the entire thing, which I did here - but this was stunning and the use of a human form in them made them extra special for me

Maybe its that I love both landscape & people photography, and putting both together creates amazingly beautiful results for me

Thanks for sharing @Peter B :)

Dave

Beautiful scenes very well photographed, there's no denying her talent, but it all seemed a little too ostentatious for me.

I rarely follow links like this, and even more rarely do I watch the entire thing, which I did here - but this was stunning and the use of a human form in them made them extra special for me

Maybe its that I love both landscape & people photography, and putting both together creates amazingly beautiful results for me

Thanks for sharing @Peter B :)

Dave

Just don't be putting yourself in yours.... I don't think it will work :LOL::LOL:

Stunning images though.....

Well I liked her work, not easy to get such great images and make it look so simple. Thanks for sharing.
And not an Arnold Clarke hire car in sight...

I have just looked through her Flickr and don't believe this should be in Talk Landscapes, but in Talk Portraits.

I have just looked through her Flickr and don't believe this should be in Talk Landscapes, but in Talk Portraits.

It's a very worrying trend in landscape photography. Either it's some bearded/hipster 20-40 something bloke with a yellow/red jacket posed small in the frame or some 18-30something woman with a ridiculous outfit posed a bit larger in the frame ruining otherwise what would be a great picture.

Some say it gives "scale" but it's blinding obvious in 99.99% of these pictures just how big or small the mountain/lake/trees are in such shots.

Last edited:
"The appreciation of nature for its own sake, and its choice as a specific subject for art, is a relatively recent phenomenon. Until the seventeenth century landscape was confined to the background of portraits or paintings dealing principally with religious, mythological or historical subjects."

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/art-terms/l/landscape

"The appreciation of nature for its own sake, and its choice as a specific subject for art, is a relatively recent phenomenon. Until the seventeenth century landscape was confined to the background of portraits or paintings dealing principally with religious, mythological or historical subjects."

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/art-terms/l/landscape

I don't want to go back to the 17th Century and look at pictures of people getting in the way of a great view.

I went to see the new Culloden Battlefield centre soon after it was opened. The official photographer was taking publicity photos for them, and I offered to keep out of his way if he let me know when he was going to take a photo. He was amused by this, and said it was fine as he would just clone me out. Perhaps a lesson for us all? ;)

Does it really matter?

Not really, it is just an observation.

Beyond looking at just this Skye video but Lizzie's images (which are rather good) her subject is primarily herself, and the landscape is secondary. To me they are portraits that's all.

Not really, it is just an observation.

Beyond looking at just this Skye video but Lizzie's images (which are rather good) her subject is primarily herself, and the landscape is secondary. To me they are portraits that's all.

They're irritants. I was in the Alps last year and some d*ck decided to stand in the frame in a stupid yellow jacket to pose for another tog. I explained to the other tog if he could ask his mate to move so I could get a figure free shot - he obliged which was very kind of him but this tomfoolery is like a cancer - it spreads and kills.

Back